View Single Post
Old Friday, September 08, 2006
Economist In Equilibrium
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: she won the Essay competitionBest Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best ModMember of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: For the year 2006

Qurratulain has a spectacular aura aboutQurratulain has a spectacular aura aboutQurratulain has a spectacular aura about

@Humayun

Your outlines on poverty are superb, As i've been doing post mortem of your all outlines i'll carry on my job here as well.

Firstly you mentioned three methods of measuring poverty as follows:

* GDP
* GNP
* Poverty Line

According to my knowledge GDP and GNP have nothing directly to do with the poverty measurement. Yes they can be secondary factors but the authentic methods of measuring poverty are:

* Head Count Ratio
* Basic Needs Approach
* Poverty of Opportunity

All three methods basically work with the help of poverty line.

Secondly i'd expand the causes of Poverty, they may be as follows:

* Increasing population
* Low GDP and low per capita income
* Inflation
* Low investment
* Insufficient provision of basic infrastructure for the production of consumer goods
* Improper distribution of investment in consumer goods and luxuries
* Disbalance if Fiscal policy and Monetary Policy
* Lack of skill development

Thirdly i totally agree with your suggestions to alleviate poverty. and lastly don't mind on post mortem of your work. You can proceed with a counter attack.

Regards,