View Single Post
Old Friday, November 05, 2010
40th CTP (DMG)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 73Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Thanked 2,480 Times in 622 Posts
redmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud ofredmax has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamohmand View Post
redmax

Express yourself in simple words in the precis paper and inshallah u will rock in the exam. Also, avoid stuff that is not suggested by the author in passage summarization(precis).
Thank you for the positive comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaara~hussain View Post
'u have 56 marks' is a very subjective term. it does not define which question gave u how many marks! maybe examiner was very lenient with u, (2010 english precis and composition has escaped the "ragra-fying", but next time this may be the victim. u never know!).
I would still state that replacing the "Core word" of precis with its synonym is fatal!
I feel it necessary to share with you people what I believe is inevitable in making a precis of any passage. Before that, I disagree with the view that 'jealousy' and envy are synonyms. These are two different words inasmuch as two varying feelings. It can be simplified in terms of Urdu. Envy stands for " Rishk karna " , while Jealousy means "Hasad karna". I hope the difference is clear now.

Now coming to the argument whether synonyms must be employed at all or not. The simplest answer is YES. It is however, not as easy as it seems in saying Yes to it. Sometimes it is very puzzling to replace a word with appropriate synonym. Take for instance, the example of Envy and jealousy case.

Lastly, the idea of not replacing the 'core word' is right to some extent. I would add to it that instead of core word, 'core idea' or what is called 'central idea' of the precis must NEVER be obliterated. That's the soul of precis making and the simplest rule is that NEVER add any idea or information which was not provided in the original passage.