View Single Post
Old Monday, November 15, 2010
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

xaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmax View Post
Thank you for the positive comment.

I feel it necessary to share with you people what I believe is inevitable in making a precis of any passage. Before that, I disagree with the view that 'jealousy' and envy are synonyms. These are two different words inasmuch as two varying feelings. It can be simplified in terms of Urdu. Envy stands for " Rishk karna " , while Jealousy means "Hasad karna". I hope the difference is clear now.

Now coming to the argument whether synonyms must be employed at all or not. The simplest answer is YES. It is however, not as easy as it seems in saying Yes to it. Sometimes it is very puzzling to replace a word with appropriate synonym. Take for instance, the example of Envy and jealousy case.

Lastly, the idea of not replacing the 'core word' is right to some extent. I would add to it that instead of core word, 'core idea' or what is called 'central idea' of the precis must NEVER be obliterated. That's the soul of precis making and the simplest rule is that NEVER add any idea or information which was not provided in the original passage.
I know the difference between envy and jealousy but the point is in this piece of narration it is not in the same meaning we know. here the writer has used it in jealousy's context. otherwise, being envious has nothing wrong in it!