View Single Post
Old Friday, March 18, 2011
Makhzan-e-Urdu Adab
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,576 Posts
Farrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud of
Default Pms-2006

Q.2 Use any FIVE of the following phrases/idiomatic expressions in sentences (15 marks)

(i) A cry in wilderness

Meaning: You're a voice in the wilderness, or a voice crying in the wilderness, if you're expressing an unpopular opinion or insight.

Sentence:When Galileo stated that the sun was the centre of the solar system, he was a voice crying in the wilderness. Most people thought he was crazy or evil, or possibly both.

(ii) Look your age

Meaning:to seem as old as you really are and not younger or older

Sentence:You certainly don't look your age. What's your secret?

(iii) All that jazz

Meaning: Everything else related to, or other similar things.

Sentence: I need some glue, paper, string, and all that jazz to make a kite.

(iv)An uphill task

Meaning: If doing something is an uphill task, it is difficult to do because of obstacles such as opposition from other people.

Sentence:
Looking for a job when you're in your 60's is an uphill task these days. Most companies want youth, not experience.

(v) Evil genius

Meaning:Talented bad person

Sentence:No one could ever suspect him;he is an evil genius.

(vi) Point blank

Meaning:1. characterized by directness in manner or speech; without subtlety or evasion
2. close enough to go straight to the target

Sentence:I asked him point-blank whether he wanted the job

(vii) Under the auspices of

Meaning:kindly endorsement and guidance, support, patronage of

Sentence:The tournament was held under the auspices of the city council

(viii) Go Down

Meaning:stop operating, be defeated,

Sentence:My computer crashed last night,the system goes down at least once a week