View Single Post
Old Sunday, March 20, 2011
Makhzan-e-Urdu Adab
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,576 Posts
Farrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud of

Q.3 Construct sentences to distinguish between the meanings of any FIVE of the following pairs of words. (15 marks)

Bad:

Meaning:Evil; sinful.

Sentence:A bad workman quarrels with his tools.

Bade ;

Meaning:A past tense of bid.

Sentence:I bade him leave my room.

Gag,

Meaning:To stop the mouth of, by thrusting sometimes in, so as to hinder speaking; hence, to silence by authority or by violence; not to allow freedom of speech to.

Sentence:The press was gagged

Gauge ;

Meaning:determine the capacity, volume, or contents of by measurement and calculation

Sentence:Gauge the wine barrels

Mead,

Meaning: Meadow

Sentence:Daffodils grow in the mead.

Meed;

Meaning: A fitting recompense.

Sentence: The wrestler received his meed of praise from all the by-standers.

Fury,

Meaning:Violent anger; extreme wrath; rage; sometimes applied to inanimate things, as the wind or storms; impetuosity; violence.

Sentence:The cars and trucks behind us started beeping frantically and one driver looked at us with pure fury in his eyes.

Furry;

Meaning:Consisting of or similar to fur.

Sentence:
I went to the pet store and got to hold a furry kitten.

Memorable,

Meaning:Worthy to be remembered.

Sentence:The first battle of Panipat is a memorable event in the history of India.

Memorial ;

Meaning:Something, such as a monument or holiday, intended to celebrate or honor the memory of a person or an event.

Sentence:This is a memorial to the dead heroes of Pakistan.

Jewry,

Meaning: all the Jews

sentence: Dr. Lisa is an expert of Latin American Jewry.

Jury ;

Meaning:a group of people who have been chosen to listen to all the facts in a trial in a law court and to decide whether a person is guilty or not guilty

sentence: Police officers aren't usually allowed to be on a jury.

Glad,

Meaning:happy, satisfied

Sentence:I am genuinely glad to see you.

Glade;

Meaning:An open space in a forest.

Sentence:In cloudy weather, the trees create a pale green healing glade to walk in

Quake,

Meaning:To shake or tremble, as from instability or shock.

Sentence:It was the most powerful quake to hit the region in five decades.

Quack

Meaning:The characteristic sound uttered by a duck

Sentence:Ducks don't quack all the time but can be vocal if something surprises them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Farrah Zafar For This Useful Post:
Adele (Thursday, December 24, 2015)