Thread: Editorial: DAWN
View Single Post
Old Saturday, September 03, 2011

Location: u can find me in sun rays, u can feel me in cool breeze, u can see me in rainbow colours....
earlymorning is on a distinguished road
Default Women in government

A REPORT by the Planning Commission has revealed alarming statistics about the lack of representation of women in public-sector organisations. According to the study, which collected data from the Planning Commission itself and 16 ministries, these groups employ a disproportionately low number of female employees, especially at the higher levels of the bureaucracy. Only eight per cent of the Planning Commission’s employees are women and over a third of these (including all those in the highest grades of BS-20 to BS-22) are employed in contract-based roles that provide limited or no benefits and few prospects, according to the report, of career progression. Across the 16 ministries surveyed there were no women at all at the BS-21 and BS-22 levels and only six per cent representation of women across all levels.

Ironically, the study itself contains some observations that do not demonstrate sensitivity to gender issues. It claims, for example, that one reason for the lack of women in higher positions is that they “by nature sit back” and fail to push for their annual reviews to be completed in time for promotions. Such preconceived notions and stereotypes about the performance of female employees are part of the problem standing in the way of a more equitable representation of women in the workforce.

But aside from trying to change mindsets the bureaucracy needs to take concrete steps to both hire and retain women, from running active recruiting drives targeted at women to providing daycare centres at work for mothers. As public-sector entities these organisations should be leading the way in terms of incorporating women into the workforce in order to set an example for the private sector, help change societal mindsets and empower deserving women by giving them access to independent livelihoods.

August 31, 2011