View Single Post
Old Monday, September 26, 2011
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

imbindas is a glorious beacon of lightimbindas is a glorious beacon of lightimbindas is a glorious beacon of lightimbindas is a glorious beacon of lightimbindas is a glorious beacon of lightimbindas is a glorious beacon of light

Anas said: "I heard `Umar say as he was alone behind a wall: By Allah! You shall certainly fear Allah, O son of al-Khattab, or He will punish you!"

From `Amir ibn Rabi`a: "I saw `Umar pick up a straw from the ground and say: Would that I were this straw! Would that I were nothing! Would that my mother never bore me"

Jabir said that he heard `Umar ibn al-Khattab say on the pulpit when he married Umm Kulthum, the daughter of `Ali and Fatima: "Do not disparage me [for marrying a young girl], for I heard the Prophet say: On the Judgment Day every means will be cut off and every lineage severed except my lineage. He desired to place himself in the Prophet's lineage through this marriage due to the precedence of Ahl al-Bayt in the Prophet's intercession. Umm Kulthum bore him two children, Zayd and Ruqayya.

From `Ubayd Allah ibn `Umar ibn Hafs: `Umar was see carrying a slaughtered animal on his back. He was asked why, and he replied: "I was infatuated with myself and wanted to humble myself." Al-Hasan narrated: "`Umar gave a sermon when he was Caliph wearing a waist-wrap patched in twelve places."

Book Reference :
Abu Nu`aym, Hilya al-Awliya 1:73-92; al-Dhahabi, Siyar A`lam al-Nubala 1/2:509-565 #3; Shibli Nu`mani, `Umar The Great 2:336-338.