View Single Post
Old Monday, October 24, 2011
Makhzan-e-Urdu Adab
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,576 Posts
Farrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud of

1-Does language affect identity?

Yes.

2-Does identity affect language?

Yes

3- Is the relationship between language and identity deep rooted or shallow?

Deep rooted

4-The ingredients of identity i-e age, gender, culture, politics, history etc are to what extent related with language?

Both have strong connection with eachother.
age=a child's language is different from a grown up person.
gender=women's language is somehow different from men as the former use few specific words more frequently, for example "Haye Allah " ,Haww" and other delicate words
culture= language of Delhi is different from Lahore.
Language of village is different form city etc

5-Does the dominant language or culture make the subordinate language inferior or it is the mentality of the speakers that they start to associate superiority to the dominant language?

Dominant language or culture makes the subordinate language inferior,that's why those speakers try to associate themselves with dominant language to get rid of their inferiority complex.

6-Why the people living in multilingual societies find one or the other language more expressive?

One common language makes communication easy,that's why,people prefer the language which is dominant.

7-A study conducted in Armania reveals that the people of Armania finds Russian to be more expressive language than their native language , is it also applicable on Pakistani situation?

The two countries' historic relationship has its roots in the 1827-1828 war between the Russian Empire and Safavid Persia during which Eastern Armenia fell under Russian rule(source:wikipedia)

So it is the reason behind inclination of Armenia people towards Russian language.Hence,it is also applicable to Pakistan because they have been subjects of the English people for a long time and it made them fond of English language
Taking it for general public,I will say that common people of Pakistan consider Urdu as more expressive language.

8- How and to what extent teaching of English is affecting Pakistani languages?

It is affecting surely.As it's considered international language as well as it's official language of Pakistan,that's why,students try to speak English more than Urdu.According to my observation,students of English medium schools are poor in Urdu and good in English.In a nutshell,I can say that English has weakened roots of Pakistani languages

9- What will be the affect of massive borrowing of English words in Pakistani languages in coming fifty years?

wo he ho ga jo manzoor e khuda ho ga

Well..As Urdu is already an amalgamation of Turkish,Sanskrit and other languages so it's likely that English may also become part of Urdu.

10- Can this massive borrowing lead to extinction of these languages?

May be or may not be.Perhaps these languages become more extensive OR perhaps this borrowing may affect individuality of native languages.But I don't think that it will extinct our languages.

11-Do you esteem your native languages? if yes , to what extent? And if no, why?

Yes,I do.I love Urdu I'm guardian of it and I will let it alive till my last breath.

12- The language used to communicate with their peers by our youth is gradually shifting from regional languages to English, why is it so?

As I told earlier,English is an international language as well as official language of Pakistan so it has become a status symbol.Parents send their children to standard schools where spoken english is mandatory,that's why,students incline towards it even in their private life.

13- The division of education system in English medium and Urdu medium is infect dividing the society on linguistic basis, how this division can be blurred?

Now all schools have been changed into English medium so hopefully there will be no more "Aadhay teetar,aadhay batair".
As far past is concerned,there is a huge gulf between students of English medium and those of Urdu medium.Its solution has been implemented by government as I mentioned above.

14- To preserve our language identity, what measures are needed to be taken?

Role of Teachers=Teachers of Urdu should emphasize on its importance as it's our language identity.

Role of Parents=They should not force their children to make a mixture of Urdu and English for their so called status.Atleast in homes,Children should be encouraged to speak in Urdu.

Urdu is our heritage and cultural legacy,we must preserve it for the sake of our identity.

The Following User Says Thank You to Farrah Zafar For This Useful Post:
mubeen saeed (Monday, October 24, 2011)