View Single Post
Old Monday, October 24, 2011
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,478 Times in 681 Posts
Zoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud of

@ Mobeen Saeed

First of all i am really sorry for late reply, accept my apologize. your questionnaire is well-balanced and based on concrete approach.

1-Does language affect identity?

Definitely, it does.

2-Does identity affect language?

Sure

3- Is the relationship between language and identity deep rooted or shallow?

Deep rooted

4-The ingredients of identity i-e age, gender, culture, politics, history etc are to what extent related with language?

Off curse they are related to language, for example Spanish people have their own culture like wise other ingredients. For instance gender has strong relation towards language. Each age group has its own language skills and expressions. Same is case with history, politics etc.

5-Does the dominant language or culture make the subordinate language inferior or it is the mentality of the speakers that they start to associate superiority to the dominant language?

Sure, it happens and we can see that dominant languages or cultures have their own superiority towards other languages and they make them feel inferiority complex. And it also shows that inferior cultures or languages are adopting superior cultures.

6-Why the people living in multilingual societies find one or the other language more expressive?

Because this one language can be more expressive like we have example of Urdu...people prefer to use Urdu language rather than any regional language.

7-A study conducted in Armania reveals that the people of Armania finds Russian to be more expressive language than their native language , is it also applicable on Pakistani situation?

I don't think so it can be applicable on Pakistani situation because these both countries have their own historical grounds for finding that language more expressive while Pakistani will prefer Urdu.

8- How and to what extent teaching of English is affecting Pakistani languages?

Sure, its affecting Pakistani languages, we can observe in our educational institutions. When we talk about educational institutions its been observing that its being considered good to communicate in English. There are Urdu medium schools as well but the trend is going to change and as far as our higher education is concerned you are well aware that we have to communicate in English with teachers mostly. I am talking about majority though Urdu medium institutions also exists. So its affecting our regional languages and Urdu as well. A good number of teachers and students are good at English but they have problems in Urdu. Would you believe that when i was teaching Urdu in a English medium School, students had problem to understand meaning of different Urdu words so i used their English meaning as well So you can imagine how its affecting our languages.

9- What will be the affect of massive borrowing of English words in Pakistani languages in coming fifty years?

Well, we cant predict what will happen in coming fifty years but it might be a part of Urdu language as we are using these English words frequently.

10- Can this massive borrowing lead to extinction of these languages?

It varies from situation to situation. There can be some other factors for extinction of these languages. It depends is it affection individuals or as a whole. So it can be or it can be not.

Regards,
mubeen saeed (Monday, October 24, 2011)