View Single Post
Old Friday, December 30, 2011

entirely stranger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Skeptic View Post
first decide clear cut whether you are interested in studying literature or not.. and if the answer is yes, u have to study a short and brief history of english literature as suggested by our respected Last Island, to understand literatures produced in different eras and different writers and the symbolism and allegories those works contain.. being unfamiliar to the history and various trends and tendencies, u won't be able to cope up and keep up ur interest with the subject.. it may prove boring but u have to bear some pain to have more pleasure.. as it is said,"nothing ventured, nothing gained", or simply, no pain no gain.. moreover read little at first and discuss it here or with others who have some grasp over the subject.. discussions will not exasperate u Inshallah and will be of enormous help..
Regards..
Well,... thanks a lot for motivation..and for making me to take a good start of A Short History of English literature. i cud not pass my MA part I... i consider it my good luck as i did never think to understand English literature, was just focused upon upper meanings of everything...but now i want to understand deeply....:-)...bnda English me MA kry aur history ko choor dy....so funny...

Here my points which i have concluded after reading 1st chapter (A short history of english literature). kindly check them if m wrong... and clear my some difficulties...sorry for too minute questions but really i want to make them very clear in my mind....and so that i don’t go in the wrong direction at the very beginning

We take start of English literature from Chaucer.
6 centuries (means 6*100) are considered in English literature...we ignore English literature b4 Chaucer bc English of that time is now as a foreign language...
History of England takes place when ... angels, Saxons and jutes were in England and were invaded ...but invaded by whom, they fought with each other in england??? i want to know the position of Saxons, jutes and angles separately in England.
Augustine converted jutes into Kent...is this point related to the Christianity? Why had Augustine come to England, special for the conversion of jutes into Kent??
What does norman conquest means?? Were angles,Saxons and jutes all were norman,and does Normandy means Germany,if all were belong to germany then y were fighting with each other in england??
Augustine was a man of Rome??and what is kent??Northumbria ....?

Literature in anglo-saxon period was collected in manuscripts....in this chapter just mentioned the detail of sir Robert cotton’s script collection, and Exeter book.

What does it mean.....one cannot assess Anglo-Saxon literature or medieval literature from the extant manuscripts.....y, y we can’t assess??

Ely....place, and Canute.... poet?? who r Scandinavians??

There is mention, about two important poems....beowulf and andreas .... then the Genesis story, dream of the road and Judith... are mentioned anyway???
The work on prose in anglo-Saxon period was by Aldhelm and Bede........both wrote in Latin....then there was Danish, .............then king Alfred, ....whose main work was translation ....
What is Peterborough??
Aelfric....the greatest writer of English prose in anglo-saxon period....then wulfstan...
Then the modern period starts from Chaucer ...1340??...to kia 1300 sy 1900 means 6 centuries English literature me ate hyn...???then what are the next...??es k baat kia ha???i mean after 19th century, what we consider???
MOEEN AKHTAR (Saturday, March 03, 2012)