View Single Post
Old Monday, February 05, 2007
34th Commons
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: 4th position holder CSS 2005

DR SAEED is on a distinguished road
Default "answer" To "ansar"

Dear Csp's, I Have Sent This Mail To Mr.ansar Abbasi As A Reply From All Those Who Share My Opinion: Please I Will Be Grateful To Recieve Ur Comments.

Dear Sir Aoa,

Voltaire Said, Not May Be Exactly In The Same Words, But Something Like " I May Differ In Opinion With U But Will Defend Till end Ur Right To Say ". I Read Ur Article Regarding The Deteriorating Condition Of The Bureacracy.. While At 3.00 O Clock In The Morning Sitting In Front Of This Information Machine Called Internet, I Decided To Share My Views About Ur Opinion.

But Befor I Try To Defend My Position I Must Admitt That My Opinion Is Little Biased, As I M The Component Of The Civil Bureacracy Whom U Called The " Selection Of Average And Below Average" In The Recent Times. Moreover I M Also The Product Of Recent Selection , So I Take Ur Compliment With Open Heart, But Not In Its Entirety.i M Also Not One Of Those Breeds Who Vehemently Oppose Others Opinion , But By Sending Anonymous Letters , Which Shows Their Weakness And Inherent Incapability Of Speaking The Truth. My Full Name Is Dr . Mian Saeed Ahmed. I ,m Doctor By Profession, Opted For Civil Services, Stood 4th In Pakistan, Topped Nwfp And Fata, And Opted To Join Police Service Of Pakistan ,as Aresult Of Css 2005 Results.am Currently On Training In The Civil Services Academy In Lahore.

Sir, Now Coming To My Opinion Regarding The Condition Of The Civil Services In Pakistan I Partly Agree With Ur Article But I Have Reservations About Ur Initial Comments Relating To The Inclination Of The Quality Of Youth Being Selected And Their Capabilities.

Sir U Will Be Surprised To Know That In Our Common Training Programme, More Than 80% Of The Probationary Officers Are Not Only Highly Qualified But Also Who Left The Jobs Of Private Sector With Lucritive Remunerations And Pay Packages.i Myself Was Working With The United Nations As Their Medical Coordinator, With Seven Times The Pay I ,m Recieving Now.other Than Me Include The Engineers Graduated From Uet Peshawar,lahore, Ned University, Nust, Gik,& Bussiness Professionals From Lums, Doctors From K.e Medical College,khyber Medical College . Likewise The Gradutes Of Govt, College University, Civil Judges .it Also Includes The Officers Of The Awc,& Ndc. Above That, We Have Our Colleagues Who Have Left Their Studies In Canada And Abroad To Join The Civil Services.

The Above Examples That I Heve Quoted Clearly Indicates That Your Statement Regarding The Selection Of The Canidiates Of Average Abd Below Average Seems To Be Sweeping.interestingly, For Me I Think That The Selection Criterea Has Become Tougher Especially For The Last Three Years Or So.starting From The Writtrn Exam , Now Question Papers In Genereral Are More Of Analytical Natue, Asking The Candidates To Express Their Views About The Problem And Not Mere Producing The Memorized Material.that Is Why For The Last Three Years Fpsc Has Been Able To Filtre Out Very Few Candidates In The Range Of Three Hundred Successful Ones.this Is Not That Lesser Number Of People Are Interested, Because In My Meagre Knowledge , The Number Of Candidated Applying For The Exam Has Exponentially Grown.it The Strict Critera Adopted In The Recent Times By Fpsc Which Has Led To This Filtration Process.now Sir Can You Justify That The Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers And Bussiness Professional ,who Are The Cream Of Every Nation, Are Average And Below Average??? It Means Doubting The Capabilities Of The Young Civil Officers Who Burn Thrie Midnight Oil To Achive This Graceful Service.it Also Means That If The Cream Of The Nation Is Below Average, Than What Is The Condition Of This Nation.and Sir How Can You Assess The Potential Of The Young Officers Before They Have Come In The Field.it Is So Unfortunate That This Conditon Of The Coutry Is The Result Of Our Old Generation And Not The New Generation, Which Still Has To Perform.

Now Coming To The Point To Which I Agree With You.that Is The Politicizing And Miserable Pay Structure Of The Civil Servants. It Is No Hidden Tyruth That Ones Potential Of Services Is Highly Compromised If The Decion Of The Officer Is Influenced By External Factors. Those Are Mostly Taken Either By The Officer Himself Or Influenced By An Elite Group Member For Vested Interes.similarly Financial Costraints Also Push The Officer Toward Corruption.for Example If We Take The Pay Of The Civil Servant In 70's And Now, Taking The Price Of One Gram Of Gold As Standard, We Can Conclude That In 2007, The Pay Of The Civil Servant Of 17 Grade Should Be Atleast 60,000 Pkr Even After Ignoring The Inflation % Increase During The Last 30 Years Or So.similarly The Pay Structure Of The Probationaty Officer Is So Meagre That It Is Impossible For The Trainee To Help Hislef, Barring The Family If He Is Also Taking Care Of His Fmily Back Home.it Is Meagre 7,803 Pkr Which After Deduction Of Mess And Laundry Charges Stand At Less Than 3,500 Pkr.this Shows That Although We Want To Change The Attitudeof The Civil Servants ,but We Are Not Ready To Change Our Attiudes Towards Them.this Needs Serious Thinking As To Reforms In The Civil Service Refers To Only Curtailing The Powers Of The Bureacracy Or Giving Them The Liberty Of Taking The Right Decision At Right Time. It Need Not To Quote The Example Of Malaysia, Whose Economic Growth And Development owe to The Strength Of The Civil Services.their Pay Structure Offers More Remuneration As Compared To The Private Sector. The Result Is Lesser Inclination Of The Officer Towards Financial Corruption.specially In Case Of Pakistan, Police Force Is Most Oftenly Used As Government Apparatus Instead Of State Appratus To Enforce Its Decision.consequently, The Rights Of The Powerless Is Comromised.this Is Not Only In Pakistan But Almost All The Under Developed And Developing Countries Where Politics Is The Game Of Power Rather Than Instument Of Welfare Of The People.so You Are Right In Saying That Civil Servant Gets Demoralized By The Injustice Done To Him.but Again Sir This Does Not Deter The Youth Of Pakistan To Join The Civil Service.instead Of Saying That In Recent Times Selection Of The Officers Is Not Upto The Mark, I Would Say That Reward Of The Cream Of Nation ,the Civil Services, Which Is The Steel Frame Of Any State Has Not Been Given In The Recent Times.

Reagrds

Dr. Mian Saeed Ahmed.

Last edited by DR SAEED; Monday, February 05, 2007 at 05:11 AM.