View Single Post
Old Friday, June 15, 2012

Farrukh Aziz will become famous soon enough
Default English Grammar for all...

The SENTENCE:
A group of words that gives or conveys complete sense or meaning is known as a sentence. Or
A combination of different words which expresses a meaningful idea is sentence.
It always begins with a Capital letter and ends with a Period/Full Stop,etc.
It can’t be begun with a numeral.

KINDS OF SENTENCES:
Sentences are of five kinds which are as follows:
1) Assertive Sentences: Those which make assertions and statements. Sentences making positive statements are Affirmative while those ones which show negative statements are Negative Sentences.
The Assertive sentences are also called “Declarative Sentences”.
2) Imperative Sentences: Such sort of sentences express commands,requests, advice,orders,etc.
For instance: Don’t waste your precious time. (Advice)
Please, give me a hand in lifting this burden.(Request)
Go out and leave me alone.(Order)
3) Interrogative Sentences: We use these sentences to ask questions.
For instance: Do you know me? What is your name?
4)Exclamatory Sentences: They’re used in order to express some sudden or strong feelings and emotions just like sorrow,joy,surprise,pity,etc.
For instance: What a pretty baby Noor Fatima is!
How gallant Hassaan and Surhan are!
Aha! I qualified my B.A with flying colours.
5) Optative Sentences: They express wish/desire or prayer.
For instance: May you live long!(Prayer)
Oh that I were a king!

Phrase or Fragment: A group of words which gives incomplete idea or sense.It doesn’t contain subject-verb combination.There’re noun,verb,prepositional phrases,etc. For instance: My new car. Will go. On the table.

The Clause: A group of words which doesn’t give complete meaning.Although it has subject and predicate yet it cannot state or convey a meaningful idea.
Principal Clause: It is a sentence comprising subject & predicate and has the ability to give complete sense.It’s also known as “Main Clause or Independent Clause”.
Subordinate Clause: It depends on the main clause to give meaning.It is also called “Dependent Clasuse.
Simple Sentence: It contains just one subject and predicate, i.e. Surhan plays cricket.
Compound Sentence: It consists of two or more main or independent clauses. (For instance: Surhan ate bananas and Noor Fatima ate Apples.) Here, two sentences are used which contain their subject and predicate. They can stand on their own and can be used separately as Surhan ate bananas.
Complex Sentence: It is consisted of one main clause and one or more dependent clauses.(For instance: When Farrukh bought Aas a doll, she became very happy.) This sentence comprises two parts namely dependent and independent clauses.The used dependent clause cannot stand on its own hence it is dependent on the independent clause.

The Subject:The part that names the person or thing we’re talking about. (For instance: Sarwaich is very intelligent.) Here,we’re talking about Sarwaich who is the subject of our talk.

The Predicate: It tells something about the subject. As in the above sentence “is very intelligent is predicate.

The Complement: It does the work of completion.It can be an adjective or a noun phrase.
1)Subjective Complement:Intransitive verbs require complement to describe their subject. Example:I am Farrukh. It is heavy.
2)Objective Complement: Transitive verbs require complement to describe their obj.
for example: Zardari willingly made Gillani PM of PK.

Adverbial: It can be an adverb or a prepositional phrase.It performs the function of an Adverb. For example: i) I definitely love her. ii)Yesterday,I went there. iii)It is on my foot.

The Simple Subject: The subject can either be of one word or more than one.It’s usually of several words .Among these words,there is a chief word which is popularly known as “Subject Word
Or Simple Subject”.
THE WORD CLASSES
Explanation: Words are different.It is upto our usage how we use them in sentences.They are divided into different kinds or classes according to their use,the work they do in a sentence.Therefore, they’re simply referred to as “Parts of Speech or Word-Classes”
There’re usually eight (8) parts of speech.However,some of the grammarians include articles in them.
As far as I am concerned and from the point of my experience and studies of different authentic books of English Grammar,there must be eight word classes not nine; I’ll prefer eight to nine.
1) NOUN 2) PRONOUN 3) ADJECTIVE 4) VERB 5) ADVERB 6) PREPOSITION 7) LINKING WORD OR CONJUNCTION 8) INTERJECTION.