View Single Post
Old Wednesday, November 02, 2005
Best Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best ModMedal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Babban Miyan Ding Dong is on a distinguished road

Assalam Alaikum,

This is the story posted in Yesterday's The News:

__________________________________________________ ________________
Police thrash Sonia, son on Lahore roads

Bureau report

ISLAMABAD: Sonia Naz and her two-year-old ailing son were dragged and physically thrashed on roads in Lahore the other day by the Elite Force of Punjab after she appeared before a police inquiry team along with father and mother-in-law.

A night earlier in the shelter house of Asma Jhangir, Sonia was also dragged out of her room and beaten by the Punjab women's police assigned to protect her when she tried to celebrate the second birth day of her ailing son who, too, is residing with her.

A weeping Sonia told The News that after the honourable Chief Justice Iftikar Mohammad Chaudhary started giving him justice, the attitude of the Punjab police has changed and they have begun humiliating and torturing her without any rhyme or reason.

She said she was under pressure to withdraw her case particularly, from the court of the honourable CJ. Sonia's frantic calls to IGP Major Ziaul Hassan to save her from police torture on the road did not yield any result as he did not take the calls of the victim, who was trying to save herself from torture while holding her son in her arms.

"They even did not spare my ailing son who was bitterly weeping when I was being dragged and beaten on the roads. A lot of people gathered there to see how I was thrown in a van and beaten by those who were supposed to take care of me," Sonia said.

"What is the use of getting justice from court of the Chief Justice if back in Lahore, the Punjab police and their bosses were settling scores with me. As they are helpless before the honourable Chief Justice, they are trying to take it out on me," Sonia said.

However, Sonia said that after she was beaten, the staff officer of the IGP contacted her. He promised to look into the issue. But, Sonia complained that nothing had happened as she was once again dealt severely by the women's police led by DSP Zahida and Rehana.The News tried to get the version of Punjab police but IGP Major Ziaul Hassan and his staff officer Abid Hussain were not available for comments.

Thanks.