View Single Post
Old Saturday, December 15, 2012

Erum Qureshi is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up a broad analysis..i must say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
I think we need to look at this in the light of broad sense and aspects; as no one denies the wielding power social media possesses in modern age. If we look and compare that with the mass usage in foreign countries and that of in our country, then we'd have to conclude that we are a bit long way off from having an impact and influence via social media on general elections.

The most astonishing point that I've noticed just in this discussion is that we're still talking about Facebook. Not Twitter. Facebook are used for personal use, to get in touch with your friends and relatives, show interests TO your friends, have a discussion WITH your friends, and so on. On another hand, the official pages of political parties and people, sorry to say, doesn't offer any thing productive and mostly lead to endless and thoughtless discussions — which mostly end up in blame games among the participants of the pages —on Facebook.

Comparing that to how political elements run their Facebook pages in foreign countries, the mind is just blown away. They actually come out with policies, engage people and users in healthy discussions, post videos of any advancement, and what not.

But, as I wrote earlier, Facebook is not as powerful as you guys — with due respect — are making it out to be. The real player is Twitter — which I can confirm that you guys won't like using at first place — and that's where the 'real game' is played no matter what the domain is; politics, sports, discussions, facts & figures, live updates, ideological fights, and likewise — and you will start to see this all if you're following the right people and grasp and understand the power and usage of Twitter.

Arab Spring that started in Tunisia when a grocer set himself on fire, rapidly and literally spread like a fire in neighboring countries like Egypt, Syria, Libya, etc. And I can't emphasise enough on the role that Twitter has played in all this and is still playing on. People update about what's going on between Islamists and Liberals (Morsi & anti-Morsi supporters) and you never miss any progress on what's going on on that Egypt issue, you get updates on how cunningly Bahrain regime is trying to suffocate the 'free speech' and trampling Human Rights there via Twitter. You get updates on the conflict in Syria b/w Assad and the rebels... and what not.

All this comes from the people who are directly involved there... not from "Official" pages who will try to mask many facets of the story nor from any media outlets who have their own interests in supporting or not supporting respective regimes or political thoughts.

This you don't see on Facebook. I bet.

Elections in U.S. took Twitter with storm. We were getting live coverage via polls, videos, tweets, and links to worthy sources.

The recent Gaza conflict between Israel and Hamas didn't start via live news conference or statement but they announced it on Twitter. After IDF killed Jabari in a strike, they posted the video on Youtube and announced on Twitter that they have killed him and made a statement on Twitter that they will continue the attacks and that's how it started. Even Hamas wasn't behind on that. They literally posted tweet on every rocket they fired on their official Twitter account (AlQassam Brigades) and at the end of day, they actually tweeted about how many of rockets they fired on that particular day.

I see all this and then compare that to what role social media plays in Pakistan then I am sorry to say that social media will have minimal effect on elections in Pakistan. We are actually many steps behind on that front. Also, you have to keep the perceptions of people in mind... like @call for change simplified it in best way possible; agree on that.

I think print media and broadcasting media (TV, radio, etc.) will play a gigantic role, as it always does, and don't necessarily see social media playing any role of having impact or influence or the one that can change.

I foresee this kind of thing happening when the elections betide:

Facebook status: "I went to cast my vote. Lol." - He/She will have a chance to tell us about what turnover they say, how many people there were, what was security conditions, was the process easy and whether if that went on without any nuisance, etc... but no. We will actually see that status update, I assure you. That's the difference I am talking about in usage of social media in Pakistan and that of in foreign countries.

On Twitter, I predict the end game will be same. A useless tweet that he/she went to vote and came back home safely. If it was a foreign country, a person would be live-tweeting from A to Z, like many people did in U.S. elections such as: in one tweet they will say: "Just woke up. Big day. Let's go." After few moments another tweet will appear where they will be discussing about the atmosphere in street, another where they will tweet a picture of polling stations, another where he/she will tweet what people outside the polling stations are thinking and how they are excited, etc.

I think I've written much. Rest I will leave it on you.

I plan to live-tweet my voting experience. I'm sure, being in Pakistan and voting works here, I'll definitely be reporting any rigging, posting pictures of any bad experience, if any, to show all of my people and friends who follow me from many different countries because I OWE them and they NEED to know.

Thank you.

I agree totally.
Unfortunately, we being a nation do not take things as they should be taken. All negative aspects of the things as well as matters appeal us at first place. For the instance, our government banned Youtube for the sake of some good intention. But most of us are violating the discipline by running it through several proxy websites. This depicts our attitude at national level. There might be valid justifications to it, but always justifying the inadequate deeds is not acceptable. Similarly goes with the constructive role of social media. Instead of using it as a tool for success, the political party like PTI is using it to overcome the scenario by throwing garbage on personals. Though PML-N is posting some better content following the pattern of west as mentioned in the quoted post, but it is not quite sufficient. PPP seems more careless of the power of social media by not launching any effective campaign.
Seconding the aforementioned post, only facebook is taken as social media usually in our country. PTI and PMLN are also effective on facebook only. If they do realize the importance of Youtube, Twitter and other social websites, they can make a big deal through it. But as the time of election is quite nearer, so they will not be able to launch a real effective campaign.
Moreover, the need for increased impact of social media, political parties must have to guide masses to use it as infotainment rather than as entertainment alone. Awareness is dire need of the hour.
So, keeping all these facts in mind, it can be concluded that social media will not play as a big role in the elections as it played in other parts of the world.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erum Qureshi For This Useful Post:
Sociologist PU (Saturday, December 15, 2012)