Saturday, April 27, 2024
11:19 AM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Thursday, December 13, 2012
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Sociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to all

Good observation by walrus !

But i wonder why twitter is not popular in pakistan ? Can somebody throw light on it.
Old Saturday, December 15, 2012

fahadazizfarooqi is on a distinguished road

"Role of Media in General Election:-
Will media play role to bring changes in society, specially after Musharraf restrictions and recent Democratic system ...
Media is "means of mass communication " , or we can say it is general source which provides information to people, it is other question " are it gives right information or wrong", we can say it is a source to propagate in society... today we say that this time is media bombing era, media plays the role of "DYNAMIST" role, which easily changes the ideas of people, No one can see all the activities at a time, so, through media he gets the news according to their interest...
According to my observation the media can not play a vigorous role in general election because he is not totally free to play a role , what the people want???, they play the role what the state institution wants.... ???
everyone is heartily allowed to correct it... I will be thankful for him...
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: AppreciationDiligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Thanked 2,264 Times in 1,100 Posts
Muhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant future

Social media is really very important in fates of any government/country, it not only provide information but also misinformation/disinformation, which is being floated to build an opinion in favour/against anything.

Since historic times, propaganda warfare was consdired to be pivotal for winning wars etc. As mentioned by fellow member walrus, in current Arab uprising there were three main agents of change, Al-Jazeera, Twitter and Facebook. In our country the net based communication systems (Facebook, as Twitter is very less used in country) are not so much effective, but they still hold a ground and followers of PTI are making great efforts (to lesser extent highlighting the plus points of the party and to greater extent putting garbage on other parties especially on PML-N)! Followers of PML-N and PPP are also active at facebook with making tries to build the positive image of their leaders and their parties. There are still some months in elections and it can be expected that in coming days, facebook will be used a lot for politics.

The other important facet of media are t.v channels (unfortunately in our country the greater number of private t.v. channels are making great impressions in the minds of people, they make mountain out of mole hole and shrewdly leave out very important topics e.g Myanmar issue, Gaza issue, acid food of Captain of Pak Blind Cricket team etc were given little light in the media but they kept beating the drums on the death of Ball thakaray etc. It will not be uncorrect to say that media is playing a very negative role in our country. I can still remember a program by Hamid Mir just before the election day at Rawalpindi and that program made lot of question marks on Sheikh Rashid Ahmed and next day Sheikh sb lost the elections, the very program played very important role in his defeat. Similarly in coming elections people /politicans who will use money/pull they will get a good impression by the help of media and the result will be in his/her favour... ..
Sociologist PU (Saturday, December 15, 2012)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Sociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to all

Hmmmm, it seems the "earning season" for private TV Channels is coming in next months. Lets start a TV Channel of our own. hahaha.
Everybody knows the "paid" interview of Malik Riaz sometime back on Duniya TV.

Erum Qureshi is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up a broad analysis..i must say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
I think we need to look at this in the light of broad sense and aspects; as no one denies the wielding power social media possesses in modern age. If we look and compare that with the mass usage in foreign countries and that of in our country, then we'd have to conclude that we are a bit long way off from having an impact and influence via social media on general elections.

The most astonishing point that I've noticed just in this discussion is that we're still talking about Facebook. Not Twitter. Facebook are used for personal use, to get in touch with your friends and relatives, show interests TO your friends, have a discussion WITH your friends, and so on. On another hand, the official pages of political parties and people, sorry to say, doesn't offer any thing productive and mostly lead to endless and thoughtless discussions — which mostly end up in blame games among the participants of the pages —on Facebook.

Comparing that to how political elements run their Facebook pages in foreign countries, the mind is just blown away. They actually come out with policies, engage people and users in healthy discussions, post videos of any advancement, and what not.

But, as I wrote earlier, Facebook is not as powerful as you guys — with due respect — are making it out to be. The real player is Twitter — which I can confirm that you guys won't like using at first place — and that's where the 'real game' is played no matter what the domain is; politics, sports, discussions, facts & figures, live updates, ideological fights, and likewise — and you will start to see this all if you're following the right people and grasp and understand the power and usage of Twitter.

Arab Spring that started in Tunisia when a grocer set himself on fire, rapidly and literally spread like a fire in neighboring countries like Egypt, Syria, Libya, etc. And I can't emphasise enough on the role that Twitter has played in all this and is still playing on. People update about what's going on between Islamists and Liberals (Morsi & anti-Morsi supporters) and you never miss any progress on what's going on on that Egypt issue, you get updates on how cunningly Bahrain regime is trying to suffocate the 'free speech' and trampling Human Rights there via Twitter. You get updates on the conflict in Syria b/w Assad and the rebels... and what not.

All this comes from the people who are directly involved there... not from "Official" pages who will try to mask many facets of the story nor from any media outlets who have their own interests in supporting or not supporting respective regimes or political thoughts.

This you don't see on Facebook. I bet.

Elections in U.S. took Twitter with storm. We were getting live coverage via polls, videos, tweets, and links to worthy sources.

The recent Gaza conflict between Israel and Hamas didn't start via live news conference or statement but they announced it on Twitter. After IDF killed Jabari in a strike, they posted the video on Youtube and announced on Twitter that they have killed him and made a statement on Twitter that they will continue the attacks and that's how it started. Even Hamas wasn't behind on that. They literally posted tweet on every rocket they fired on their official Twitter account (AlQassam Brigades) and at the end of day, they actually tweeted about how many of rockets they fired on that particular day.

I see all this and then compare that to what role social media plays in Pakistan then I am sorry to say that social media will have minimal effect on elections in Pakistan. We are actually many steps behind on that front. Also, you have to keep the perceptions of people in mind... like @call for change simplified it in best way possible; agree on that.

I think print media and broadcasting media (TV, radio, etc.) will play a gigantic role, as it always does, and don't necessarily see social media playing any role of having impact or influence or the one that can change.

I foresee this kind of thing happening when the elections betide:

Facebook status: "I went to cast my vote. Lol." - He/She will have a chance to tell us about what turnover they say, how many people there were, what was security conditions, was the process easy and whether if that went on without any nuisance, etc... but no. We will actually see that status update, I assure you. That's the difference I am talking about in usage of social media in Pakistan and that of in foreign countries.

On Twitter, I predict the end game will be same. A useless tweet that he/she went to vote and came back home safely. If it was a foreign country, a person would be live-tweeting from A to Z, like many people did in U.S. elections such as: in one tweet they will say: "Just woke up. Big day. Let's go." After few moments another tweet will appear where they will be discussing about the atmosphere in street, another where they will tweet a picture of polling stations, another where he/she will tweet what people outside the polling stations are thinking and how they are excited, etc.

I think I've written much. Rest I will leave it on you.

I plan to live-tweet my voting experience. I'm sure, being in Pakistan and voting works here, I'll definitely be reporting any rigging, posting pictures of any bad experience, if any, to show all of my people and friends who follow me from many different countries because I OWE them and they NEED to know.

Thank you.

I agree totally.
Unfortunately, we being a nation do not take things as they should be taken. All negative aspects of the things as well as matters appeal us at first place. For the instance, our government banned Youtube for the sake of some good intention. But most of us are violating the discipline by running it through several proxy websites. This depicts our attitude at national level. There might be valid justifications to it, but always justifying the inadequate deeds is not acceptable. Similarly goes with the constructive role of social media. Instead of using it as a tool for success, the political party like PTI is using it to overcome the scenario by throwing garbage on personals. Though PML-N is posting some better content following the pattern of west as mentioned in the quoted post, but it is not quite sufficient. PPP seems more careless of the power of social media by not launching any effective campaign.
Seconding the aforementioned post, only facebook is taken as social media usually in our country. PTI and PMLN are also effective on facebook only. If they do realize the importance of Youtube, Twitter and other social websites, they can make a big deal through it. But as the time of election is quite nearer, so they will not be able to launch a real effective campaign.
Moreover, the need for increased impact of social media, political parties must have to guide masses to use it as infotainment rather than as entertainment alone. Awareness is dire need of the hour.
So, keeping all these facts in mind, it can be concluded that social media will not play as a big role in the elections as it played in other parts of the world.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erum Qureshi For This Useful Post:
Sociologist PU (Saturday, December 15, 2012)

Glaring is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Impact of Social Media

Asslam O Allaikum!

As per my opinion social media i.e. Face book & twitter ll be impacted strongly on Election-2013. Total population of Pakistan is estimated 180 Million, NA seat 342, Total internet users estimated 20,431,000, Total Facebook users are 75,91,580 and Literacy rate is 58%. No doubt FB users are tiny minority as compared to total population, but hierarchically both websites (Facebook & Twitter) have their influence upon general public.

@ Call for Change, Humble request to update your analysis among Trio big parties in accordance with Facebook.PPP & PML (N) are not equally active. PPP is going weak in Facebook transactions, whereas PTI & PML (N) properly run their political campaigns at social media. Even both have established their Social Media Cells. Top personality in three big parties is Imran Khan with 527,604 Likes, Top page with maximum Likes is 'Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf' with 380,598 Likes and Top project is 'Sports Board Punjab' with 153,590 likes.
But i am convinced about your opinion regarding 'Blame Game at Facebook' .
So Social media must effect the results of election-2013, and the percentage of strength of effect ll be decided after results.

Regards,

NOTE: Above noted statistics are correct till 03.12.2012, 06: 00 PM, i can provide the sources & references on demand.
Erum Qureshi (Sunday, December 16, 2012), Sociologist PU (Saturday, December 15, 2012)

Thanked 1,417 Times in 749 Posts
SADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant future
Arrow Another fact

people have said variety of stuff about literacy rates . but I want add only little why you did not include mobile or cellular devices .Pakistan is the 3rd largest mobile dense country despite of poverty and low literacy rates .Parties have organized campaigns through mobiles like newspaper promote news and adds on it .Now illiterate people are no more oblivious of fb even it is shaping opinion because these masses lack critical reasoning .I will say elections in Pakistan would be most hilarious one this year .PPP have focused on cellular activities and Twitter whereas face book opinion makers will supersede or vs cellular phones ,it will be decided after elections .Also one has to look which channel is being promoted by specific party
43rd CTP (OMG)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2014 - Merit 163

siddiqui88 is just really nicesiddiqui88 is just really nicesiddiqui88 is just really nicesiddiqui88 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociologist PU View Post
Dear members, the stage is set for general elections in Pakistan. what do you think the impact of Social Media, especially the Face Book will have on the result of these elections ? The question arises in my mind when i see a large number of Pakistanis now interacting daily and regularly on face book and discussing political issues.

It is also being said that face book is responsible for bringing change in many countries in recent past and this time it is the turn of Pakistan to see the change through the face book+election within a few months.
Social media alone cannot impact the general election to the extent of "change". Since the majority of Facebook users(the one you referred to) is youngsters, including the teenagers who do not have a vote; and those who have, make a small fraction of total voters coming from all walks of life, majority of whom is illiterate and has little access to internet.

The countries where change came through Facebook, it was through mass demonstrations, not through BALLOT BOX. There are many factors which affect voting choice. Media does, to some extent; but Social Media alone cannot bring any substantial change in this respect.
The Following User Says Thank You to siddiqui88 For This Useful Post:
Erum Qureshi (Sunday, December 16, 2012)
Old Sunday, December 16, 2012

IMTIAZ AHMAD KHAN is on a distinguished road

As far as my approach and knowledge is concerned,I dont think social media networking will have a durable and influential role in opinion-cum-decision making criteria of the people;as the country is entangled badly in the clutches of "Khanism","Chaudrism","Baradrism","Wadarism","Feud alism" and so many other -isms of the kind.As bad luck would have it,most of the common masses are uneducated doubled with unaware.They can be easily befooled by hollow wits and slogans.To the utmost expectations of the people,Imran Khan has jumped into the ground with a hope of change,but,he too,does not talk about a wholesome change in system,rather he talks about some menaces viz corruption,lootacracy,floor-crossing,assets which i think are not suffice.The basic problem of the people and the country is not corruption but bad-governance.As you know that corruption-of capital also prevails in the developed countries but they are on a fair road to further expedited advancement.To add to the gruesome situation,is the unavailability of the basic requirements of the people not to talk of internet and other facilities.

The cream of the nation-the educated class of the society will have to sacrifice and burn midnight oil if they want to do a yeoman task by bringing a complete reformative change in the country.
The Following User Says Thank You to IMTIAZ AHMAD KHAN For This Useful Post:
Sociologist PU (Sunday, December 16, 2012)