View Single Post
Old Tuesday, June 05, 2007
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Best Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best ModMember of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: For the year 2007Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Thanked 3,082 Times in 760 Posts
Sureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to all

Types of Sentences

In Clauses, you learned that there are two types of clauses: independent and dependent. Recall that independent clauses are complete sentences because they have a subject and verb and express a complete thought. Dependent clauses, in contrast, cannot stand alone because they do not express a complete thought—even though they have a subject and a verb. Independent and dependent clauses can be used in a number of ways to form the four basic types of sentences: simple, compound, complex, and compound-complex. Time to make their acquaintance.

Simple Sentences: Simple Isn't as Simple Does

A simple sentence has one independent clause. That means it has one subject and one verb—although either or both can be compound. In addition, a simple sentence can have adjectives and adverbs. What a simple sentence can't have is another independent clause or any subordinate clauses. For example:

Americans eat more bananas than they eat any other fruit.
one subject, one verb

David Letterman and Jay Leno host talk shows.
compound subject, one verb

My son toasts and butters his bagel.
one subject, compound verb

Don't shun the simple sentence—it's no simpleton. The simple sentence served Ernest Hemingway well; with its help, macho man Ernie snagged a Nobel Prize in Literature. In the following excerpt from The Sun Also Rises, Hemingway uses the simple sentence to convey powerful emotions:

The driver started up the street. I settled back. Brett moved close to me. We sat close against each other. I put my arm around her and she rested against me comfortably. It was very hot and bright, and the houses looked sharply white. We turned out onto the Gran Via.

“Oh, Ali,” Sara said, “we could have had such a damned good time together.”
Ahead was a mounted policeman in khaki directing traffic. He raised his baton. The car slowed suddenly pressing Brett against me.
“Yes,” I said. “Isn't it pretty to think so?”

Compound Sentences: Compound Interest

A compound sentence consists of two or more independent clauses. The independent clauses can be joined in one of two ways:

* With a coordinating conjunction: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so
* With a semicolon (

As with a simple sentence, a compound sentence can't have any subordinate clauses. Here are some compound sentences for your reading pleasure.

Independent Clause ----Conjunction or Semicolon -------Independent Clause

Men are mammals -------------and ---------------- women are femammals.

Mushrooms grow in----------- so ---------------------they look like
damp places-------------------------------------------umbrellas.

The largest mammals are --------; -------------------there's nowhere else
found in the sea -------------------------------------to put them.

You might also add a conjunctive adverb to this construction, as in this example: The largest mammals are found in the sea; after all, there's nowhere else to put them.

Complex Sentences: Not So Complex at All

A complex sentence contains one independent clause and at least one dependent clause. The independent clause is called the “main clause.” These sentences use subordinating conjunctions to link ideas. As you check out these examples, see if you can find the subordinating conjunctions.

* Parallel lines never meet (independent clause) until (subordinating conjunction) you bend one of them (dependent clause).

* Many dead animals of the past changed to oil (independent clause) while (subordinating conjunction) others preferred to be gas (dependent clause).

* Even though (subordinating conjunction) the sun is a star (dependent clause), it knows how to change back to the sun in the daytime (independent clause).

The subordinating conjunctions are until, while, and even though.

Compound-Complex Sentences: The Big Kahuna

A compound-complex sentence has at least two independent clauses and at least one dependent clause. The dependent clause can be part of the independent clause. For instance:

* When the heat comes,----------------------the lakes dry up,

dependent clause------------------------------independent clause

* and farmers know the crops will fail.

independent clause

* I planned to drive to work,---------------------- but I couldn't

independent clause----------------------------- independent clause

Epiloque

Now that you know you have four different sentence types at your disposal, which ones should you use? Effective communication requires not only that you write complete sentences, but also that you write sentences that say exactly what you mean. Try these six guidelines as you decide which sentence types to use and when:

* Every sentence should provide clear and complete information.

* Most effective sentences are concise, conveying their meaning in as few words as possible.

* Effective sentences stress the main point or the most important detail. In most cases, the main point is located in the main clause to make it easier to find.

* Your choice of sentences depends on your audience. For example, you would use simple sentences and short words if your readers were children, while an audience of engineers would call for more technical language and longer sentences.

* Always consider your purpose for writing before you select a sentence type.

* The rhythm and pacing of your writing is determined by your sentences.

Before you shift into panic mode, you should know that most writers use a combination of all four sentence types to convey their meaning. Even Ernest Hemingway slipped a compound sentence or two in among all those simple sentences.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
@ Amy and Waseem

I must thank u guys for motivating my efforts .

Take care,

Last edited by Shooting Star; Saturday, May 05, 2012 at 01:48 AM.