View Single Post
Old Tuesday, June 11, 2013

mikafridi is on a distinguished road
Smile My Experience of CSS 2013

Dear Aspirants and Candidates...
Salam!
I would like to share the unforgettable experience of 2013 attempt and the dilemmas I went through the process...
After the completion of my postgraduate qualification in February 2012, I had it in my mind to appear in the competitive exams, be it CSS or PMS. My circumstances allowed me to take the decision of appearing in 2013.
As I had an interest in these exams so I had been collecting relevant information about the syllabus and the subjects. For further guidance I decided to join an academy. I had selected my optional subjects prior to joining the academy and had already sunk into reading vaguely around the subjects.
As it was my first attempt therefore motivation and enthusiasm was on the peak. The atmosphere in the academy and fellow students added to the interest level.
Made a realistic strategy and study plan which was quite realistic considering the time available for preparation. A drift in preparation was acquired through the academy, teachers and fellow students in my accommodation (hostel).
Relevant syllabus was covered and revision was done accordingly. Throughout my preparation I kept focused on acquiring analytical writing skills. This was done through following the style of various analysts and mainly editors of various newspapers.
Covered the optional subjects first along with a compulsory subject of my own interest. The techniques of attempting papers was acquired through peers, teachers and past exam patterns... As per my nature, I did not over-burden my head just with studies. Treated myself with regular recreational activities (Dinning out, movies and family visits) now and then to keep my morale high. Other motivational factors played a massive role (family).
Then came the exams as referred to by a fellow member of the forum as 'Muqabilay ka Imtihaan' 2013...had a tight schedule for exams as not enough gaps. Therefore the final revision was tailored accordingly...

1)English Essay - Unpredictable! (No guessed topics) But aware of the nature of these exams and based of the generic preparation I attempted
GENDER EQUALITY IS A MYTH...(I have uploaded the rough outline in the essay section) Details can be found there!
2)Composition - attempted well! précis practice and comprehensive essay writing practice paid off... was aware of the blunders previously made by peers!
3) EDS
4) Current Affairs
5) Pakistan Affairs
6) Islamiat
7) Sociology
8) Journalism
9) Psychology 1 & 2
10) International Law
11) Pashtu
In short I would say is that the often predicted bookish papers were very general and the general papers were somehow bookish.
But if one had prepared the syllabus and taken a holistic approach to the areas of most subjects would have attempted well...
So hopeful but also would like to suggest that it is a process/project and once you have engulfed the myths and preconceptions and taken into it, you should be more motivated for the next attempt, not surpassing the fact that every attempt should be made as first and last (for beginners)!
It is achievable as per my experience...not yet achieved and awaiting results (in my case). The attempt itself is a brilliant learning experience and you will experience a boost to you confidence level once you have started the process. Do not be too harsh on yourself. Would rather suggest a slow start for beginners and pace could be picked up at a later stage. Be focused and keep treating yourself now and then for achievements such as completion of subject areas. Tackle it like an exercise for mind and body!
Please keep me in your prayers and Best of luck... Wassalam!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikafridi For This Useful Post:
ashiq e hussain (Thursday, August 01, 2013), madiha alvi (Friday, September 06, 2013), qqurat (Wednesday, September 11, 2013)