View Single Post
Old Wednesday, August 22, 2007
38th CTP (PAAS)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2009 - Merit 531

secondopinion02 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks for the disection of the precis. I started it after 6 month so there was a need to give me a push that is given by you. When I started this thread again the purpose was to continue my thread but now will work for it in real sense. So here goes my comments.

Appi... I never hesitate to criticize anyone, even myself, if something goes against consciousness. What do you mean by real sense? It means you were previously not serious in your approach as a teacher.... moreover, as a teacher you must be more meticulous coz whatever you teach will engrave into the minds of many students including me. And many people are learning here, it means your slackness of being in a state of "not in a real sense" previously would be a loss equivalent to 25 marks multiplied by the people who learnt here from you.

================================================== ================================================== ====================

Quote:
Your first suggestion about mistake:
As per your say we use figurative language and when I have said to eye with life it means to face the problems of life.
You have given logic to your suggestion that is not matching to my concept.
I hope it will clear the concept for using combination “to eye with life”.

Read carefully my correction again in which I did not actually correct the idiom but mistake of PARALLEL STRUCTURE and for that I have adjusted the sequence of the sentence by the use of "with an eye to" idiom:

Now first see your incorrect sentence below:

"to peep into his life as human and take inspiration to eye with life."

To make it correct you must use the same pattern of phrases, before and after the word "and"

See the correct one:

Quote:
"to peep into his life as human and to take inspiration......
Now come to the problem of using the idiom of yours to eye with life

This idiom in the above corrected sentence would look more awkward, see below how would it look like:

Quote:
to peep into his life as human and to take inspiration to eye with life
it has three "infinitives"

therefore, I have replaced with an adjusting idiom "with an eye to something."; see below

Quote:
...to peep into his life as human and to take inspiration with an eye to his life..
two "infinitives" parallel before as well as after "and"

I don't mean to say that my idiom will convey your own idea, but just used it here keeping in mind to make sentence adjust.

================================================== ================================================== ====================

Your next argument:

Quote:
3rd Suggestion: At some place we can use rather without adding than and I have read it as well but if you are sure that rather can’t be use without than it would be your favour to confirm this for my correction.

It depends upon how you use rather and rather than

you are using rather as an Adverb that qualifies the word "seeing", but this would not carry the meaning that you actually want to convey because you are contrasting Jinnah's real life from "leadership". Therefore, "rather than" is correct to use as it balances the part of a long sentence as follows:

Quote:
....by separating him from leadership rather than seeing him as sculpture of greatness .....
================================================== ================================================== =======================

Quote:
4th Suggestion: Here u r again raising the point that is not valid. While I m saying that to share human nature. It means although he is considered very high but he also has human failings like any other man (its very nature of humans to commit mistakes well known saying is “to err is human” it the meaning of share human nature is the same that he also has human flaws)

You own argument as stated above contradicts the opinion that you have mentioned in the sentence as given below:

Quote:
Jinnah also owes shortcomings to share human nature ......
In the above argument you said that you had written "to share human nature" in a sense that to err is human. Now I request you to please read again what you have written....

Now, see the phrase "Jinnah also owes shortcomings" that you have written.... and after that you have written "to share human nature". Now guess yourself the meaning... Got it?

It means that it is Jinnah's deficiency (Note: shortcoming means "lacking" or "deficient") "to share human nature" (or in your own words "to error is human"). In short, he is faultless or perfect.... in this sense everything in the precis written would be wrong.

Moreover, "to share human nature" looks totally inappropriate in the sense of the sentence you have attempted to use.

(please at least read your own written material carefully... thanks)

================================================== ================================================== =======================

Quote:
6th Suggestion: In the paragraph it is clearly said, “He was always, and must always be, a disturbing man, who tries to shake us out of our complacency”
If you are getting the meaning of it then you will realize that use of phrasal combination (thought provoking) is not a wrong expression.

I haven't said anything against "thought provoking" in my correction.....I have said that you hadn't matched taught with lead, See below your wrong sentence structure:

Quote:
His greatness lies in the paramount principles that lead him to live a life with no compromise and thought provoking inspiration for upcoming generations.
To make the above sentence PARALLEL you must start your next clause after "and" with verb. In this way your whole stentence would be balanced, parallel or correct... see the difference in the following corrected sentence....

Quote:
His greatness lies in the paramount principles that lead led him to live a life with no compromise and gave him thought provoking inspiration for upcoming generations.
================================================== ================================================== =========================

T H A N K S

================================================== ================================================== =========================
Lo! man is in a state of loss. (Al-Asr:103:2) And every small and great thing is recorded. (Al-Qamar:54:53) And guard yourselves against a day in which ye will be brought back to Allah. Then every soul will be paid in full that which it hath earned, and they will not be wronged. (Al-Baqara:2:281)