View Single Post
Old Thursday, October 10, 2013
42nd CTP (PSP)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2013 - Merit 62

umarabbas has a spectacular aura aboutumarabbas has a spectacular aura aboutumarabbas has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=rayma qaiser;657717]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilal Hassan View Post
Rayma you are right, it was my mistake, Apposite was correctly used, I condoned the context in which it was used. However, your other mistakes betoken that you must endeavor to use advanced words aptly because you have made mistakes. Like beside the mistakes I pointed out, you have a mistake in your signature, I Believe in Allah and he is mere one who can help me. Mere is an adjective which means only, but dear in your signature you need to insert Only one because you need a determiner here not an adjective.....and mere can never be followed or preceded by one, it is sole characteristic of ONLY.

Best of Luck.

thanx sir yes vocabulary is my weakness
but thanx again surely i would search out for MERE!
Being verbose (and trying to use Gulabi English = the one which shows the vocabulary bank) in English papers can cost you your merit if not your CSS Dream! We (the people of the subcontinent in general) need to appreciate that vocabulary may determine our command over this language but simplicity has it's own beauty I would suggest to write only simple, plain and error-free English.

Throughout my 3 Attempts and 12x3 papers i never used the words: condoned, apposite, betoken because we have simpler and much widely used and understood alternatives for them Simplicity, Flow, Relevance, and Uniqueness of Ideas may however fetch you good marks

P.S: It is a personal opinion and the readers are free to disagree
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to umarabbas For This Useful Post:
Adeel Afzal (Thursday, July 24, 2014), rayma qaiser (Thursday, October 10, 2013), zuhaib ahmed (Friday, October 11, 2013)