Thread: Islamiat 2014
View Single Post
Old Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Fatima47 has a spectacular aura aboutFatima47 has a spectacular aura about
Default Role of Women

There was this question about role of women in Islam and modern society. I am sure most of the candidates out there must have inked so many pages on describing status of woman in Islam. Since I was not quite serious with my attempt, I only used it as a means to check if any analytical skills actually matter. That said, I have this problem with me that I cannot write the typical, crammed content glutted with verses and traditions ( I know they are important). There were few points of comparison so I elaborated them. Here is a sumamry"

1:Role in the materialistic corporate world

How modern day society sees her as a thing of beauty so you see her in every second advertisment. How Islam asks women to guard modesty so this role can only be performed within certain periphery.

2: Role as a Judge

Modern society endorses it without reserve.

Islam does not admit testimony of women in hadd cases because hadd is right of Allah and not human beings. Giving tetsimony is an obligation that Allah has burdened men with and has exempted women from this burden. Since they cannot give testimony, they cannot take it so they cannot act as judges in criminal matters (hudud) in Islam

3. Role as Head of State:

Modern Society: Endorses
Islam: Reasons why she is not encouraged to become head of the state.

4. Military

Modern Society: Defenders of borders
Islam: Can act only within certain limits. (Example of how Prophet's (P.B.U.H) paternal aunt Hazrat Safiya killed an infidel in self-defence.

Apart from that I mentioned how they can work, for earning a living or for self-development, in Islam but have to confine themselves within certain limits.

I couldnt elaborate more (it was already 7 pages, that too without any rhetoric) so I had to stop (not that my mind was inundated with more ideas).
Disciple of Aristotle (Tuesday, February 18, 2014), Tassawur (Tuesday, February 18, 2014)