View Single Post
Old Friday, August 22, 2014
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,122 Times in 674 Posts
mhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan02 View Post
I'd say this is at least a 1 generation (30-40 years) process. But before any actual work can be done, there must be the WILL to do it. The ruling class must realize that the state must have nothing to do with religion. I'd say this would be half the battle won.
I don't think ruling elites benefitting from status quo will ever realize that, such changes usually come from unseen corner at times when enough pressure has been built I think

Quote:
True. Observe how the country is just stable enough and just enough work gets done to avoid anarchy. It seems the ruling class is aware of your theory
Well nature places in every organism traits that are fit for survival, which is why earlier I was keen to avoid using the terms inept and foolish for the politicians even though it appears they are idiots . You can take the case of zardari for example, he has proven to be a political genius even though it looked like he is a corrupt loon . It could also be that our thinking them as inept and foolish gives them strength

Quote:
There is no doubt that democracy does bring freedom (although freedom itself is subjective), but some people assume wrongly that dictatorship is the ONLY alternative to democracy. Another wrong assumption in democracy is that the man who is most loved is also the most capable; this is totally baseless! Leave Pakistan, our entire democratic system is rotten ; can any American say with full confidence that in the entire United States of America, there is no man more capable than Obama?
I think assuming capabilities from loved ones has a reason, you usually love someone for something. For example you love someone for their sexy body . But it then comes down to expectations. For example you expect a sexy body to lift a ton of weight for you . So a person who is able to rally masses behind him sure has a capability that even a genius scientist doesn't have, but you can't expect a scientific work from that person. So generally I would describe it as Pakistanis build nonsensical expectations and get disappointed soon . Perhaps it's because a vertically collectivist society is ruled by a horizontally collectivist political system, but I am not sure if that's the exact description, I am trying to understand reasons behind this phenomenon actually .
Hassan02 (Friday, August 22, 2014)