View Single Post
Old Tuesday, October 21, 2014
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,122 Times in 674 Posts
mhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan02 View Post
No, patriarchy dominated much of the world and still does to some degree, but the tide of misogyny is receding in most countries except Islamic ones (with some exceptions of course) where the old order is propped up by religion. Brother until the 18th century societies based on inequality (feudal Europe, slavery in US etc) were also very successful

Yup that's agreeable . I was talking about success of Patriarchy in human history BTW . And religion alone is not the factor as it's obvious that it's been like that across all cultures and civilizations ever since humans transferred to agriculture 12 or 15 thousand years ago and started making civilizations. For example 20th century Japan had patriarchy but yet it was perhaps an irreligious culture . Industrial revolution and rise of nation states has a very short history compared to that, and post-industrial post-modern societies is very recent, it's only this short period when patriarchy has started reclining so rapidly thus what would be problems in its absense and their severity are not fully known yet . Nevertheless it's understandable that in today's world 'orthodox religion' has remained the only defense of 'our' patriarchal order and its values . Personally I don't believe using religion to suppress reason is going to do any service to religion and mankind or even country. But i think religious people themselves are to blame for their absolutist behavior, religion gives us a message to unite and improve our selves .

As about feminist movement, perhaps it still has a long journey to take before declaring 'victory over men' hahaha.

BTW love for sons in mothers is not limited to Pakistani women, I have noticed it even in White American mothers , even they seem to be loving sons more than daughters. Here is a poll result to support my claim http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...fferently.html.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmmdkashif View Post
But i think religious people themselves are to blame for their absolutist behavior, religion gives us a message to unite and improve our selves .
For example most countries where patriarchy is reclining are the ones where 'disinclination towards marriage and family is normal', but here in Pakistan support for family remains deep entrenched. Now obviously religion protects family structure, but religion alone can't be the reason why family is supported because there are many benefits associated with it. There is a strong sense of group life, belonging, sharing and understanding associated with it, perhaps Pakistan is a country with one of the lowest divorce rates even compared to the rest of Muslim world . And there's a sense of security associated with it, looking at the performance of our government in providing security and justice many women themselves prefer old patriarchal values, it gives them satisfaction 'men are fighting for them' even if its in their own imagination hahahaha. Many of the female politicians are there owing thanx to their fathers, and they openly claim they support traditional family order and yet they somehow believe women will miraculously overcome men and emancipate themselves while keeping the same structure alive hahaha . Thus there is a level of dishonesty associated with the feminist pursuits in Pakistan as well. And then there is state of economy, our economy is still largely on the traditional agricultural path and the society is also largely agrarian which is an environment that favor those values and limits participation of women. And obviously religion and puritanism also play a part . In Muslim cultures puritanism is not limited to religious places, it becomes part of public life .

Ohh and yeah not to mention the sense of economic security, for many women there is a greater sense of economic security for women in the old patriotic order. For example in Pakistan I have noticed many women still saying 'kamana to mardon kaa kaam hai' . This means that they still feel it doesn't matter whether they find jobs or not, they won't be exploited for not working as much as men who might end up being a reproductory failure if he is not struggling and working hahahaha . Perhaps there are some very good reasons why slaves want to remain slave

Last edited by Amna; Tuesday, October 21, 2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: merged/chain posts
The Following User Says Thank You to mhmmdkashif For This Useful Post:
RAO RAMEEZ (Wednesday, October 22, 2014)