View Single Post
Old Wednesday, March 19, 2008
sibtainafzaal

Hmm a very interesting discussion I must say. It seems the discussion is only based on engineers , doctors and CSP’s. Well I am BS in computer and I opted for CSS mainly because the jobs are quite low paying in private sector, timings are quite hectic, you do not have a life literally, job security is a major issue, and after a certain level of progress you just stop. A dead end for you. In private sector you are in a constant race to survive, I know a few people who spent 15 16 years of their lives in chasing money after doing their MBA. The time they lift their job which was around 40 45 years of age, they were earning more then a hundred thousand rupees. But they felt exhausted at this age and simply felt fed up of their mechanistic job. Same goes for Engineers who go to middle east and other places to earn but there comes a time when they say “I had it”. Doctors are no exception. I know a couple of guys and girls who when doing MBBS acted as if they were from Mars, but now when they are doing house job in govt. hospital and getting so little in poor working conditions they realize that it was not a bed of roses.
In these circumstances I am not saying that civil services are the best but at least they give you something which no other gives.
1. Job security (that is a major psychological factor)
2. Chance to grow (CSP’s if willing get chances to do more courses which greatly benefit them during job or after retirement, and they are free of cost from the best universities of the world.)
3. Corruption factor might not remain such a big issue. Unfortunately in Pakistan when ever the word bureaucracy comes we take its as synonym to Corruption. Its our nations stereo type thinking.
4. A civil services reforms plan is underway, if its recommendations are approved, CSP’s would get special pay packages, I heard atleast 40,000 p.m package for grade 17 officers has been suggested.
5. Don’t think of being a CSP as last resort to get a job, for most atleast for me it’s a stepping stone, to make new networks, make new friends, strong allies (which is totally legal  ) so that you can easily survive in Pakistan.
6. By becoming a CSP you get a chance to work for a lot of organizations after doing job, your experience at this level is quite valuable, think tanks, UN, multinational companies etc.

My Mentor told me all of this stuff to raise my moral and go for CSS, but all these benefits come with just one requirement. i.e. an ambition to rise above with the mindset that success takes time. Don’t expect that you would become DIG, DCO, Ambassador in a couple of years, it takes a lot of time no matter in which field you are docs, engineers, computer guys or management gurus. Patience is the key element to learn in professional life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
amy (Wednesday, March 19, 2008), Major Rao (Wednesday, July 23, 2008)