View Single Post
Old Monday, March 31, 2008

Deviant is on a distinguished road
Default A discussion on Modern sensibility and the reasons we read literature

Mr Safdar, I do not really agree with you that Bacon is difficult writer especially when we compare him with the likes of Russel and Said. Moderns typically have a tendency to get very confusing simply because of the whirlwind "modern sensibility." You can find exactly the same thing in Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" and that is why modern writers have resorted so frequently to symbolism since there are so many things running parallel that the theme itself is so hard to comprehend, let alone express in full concrete terms that it's almost impossible for moderns to remain simple. Take the example of "Jazz" where every second line is a different theme, simply because there is so much to say and the desire not to moralize, not to over-simplify so intense that at the end of the day the novel means different things to different people. Look at "Waiting For Godot".... maybe it is universal but it has a meaning that is very private to each and every individual. This again, is in sharp contrast to Bacon for example, where there is hardly any disagreement among the critics as to what he actually means - a clear sign of how less complicated he is.

The other point I noticed in the discussion above was that you guys are focusing merely on "clearing the paper." For God's sake, this is not why you are reading literature! Are you reading literature to get an M.A. degree? Please read literature for the pleasure of it - both its intellectual pleasure and the pleasure that comes from the music of words, the turns of phrases and most importantly the pleasure that you get from feeling an empathy with the writer and his creations. Read it for the pains of Oedipus, for the undeserved doom of Desdemona and Ophilia, and most importantly read it so you don't hate Iago but rather to try to feel empathy and understand him.

Hope you get my point.

Best,
Deviant