Monday, April 29, 2024
09:53 AM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Monday, March 30, 2009

Omer will become famous soon enough
Default 20 dead, 25 hurt in Lahore police training school attack

LAHORE: At least 20 people have been killed and 25 injured when gunmen attack police training center in Manawan near Wagah border on Monday.

Attackers take positions inside police training center. They are wearing police uniforms and carrying backpacks and guns.

Rangers and police take positions around police training center. Army has also deployed to aid police. Emergency enforced in the hospitals. Police helicopters hover training center.

The bodies and injured have been shifted to different hospitals. According to DIG Mumtaz Sukhara, the exact number of attackers yet to be known. Police have directed people to stay away from training center, however, large number of people present outside training center to support security forces. They are chanting slogans in favour of Punjab police and Pakistan Army.

Earlier, a series of at least five blasts were heard at the training centre at Manawan, and the explosions were followed by an exchange of fire between the attackers and policemen that is still underway.

The officials said about 850 trainee policemen were present within at the facility.Reports said the gunmen lobbed several grenades as they launched their attack and then fired indiscriminately.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/updates.asp?id=73091

TV images showed Pakistani soldiers advancing outside the academy
An armed group has attacked a police training academy in eastern Pakistan with hand grenades and assault rifles.
Officials say at least eight people were killed at the academy, near the city of Lahore, and more than 20 police personnel are reported injured.
TV footage showed several police officers lying motionless on the ground inside the school.
The attack comes less than a month after gunmen attacked the Sri Lankan cricket team in Lahore.
In that attack, six policemen were killed, while up to 14 gunmen escaped.
'Firing continuing'
The BBC's Jill McGivering, in Lahore, says it appears that a group of armed men had entered the academy dressed in police uniform.
They opened fire, our correspondent says, and a siege seems to have developed, with reports that hostages have been taken.
An intelligence official in Lahore told Reuters 10 police officers had been killed and 50 people wounded.
"Some gunmen entered the centre, threw hand grenades and then started firing," he said.
"They are still in the building and firing is continuing," he said.
Police officer Syed Ahmad Mobin told the Associated Press it was "complete panic".
"We do not have any idea how many the attackers are, and how many of them are dead, or hiding in nearby buildings. We are fighting them," he said.
Elite troops have now been called to the academy, named as the Manawan police training school by local media.
The Manawan academy is on the road from Lahore to the border with India.
"A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done."

Last edited by Mumtaz Hayat Maneka; Monday, March 30, 2009 at 12:59 PM.

snake is on a distinguished road
Default Attack in Lahore!

Militants struck a police training academy near Lahore using machine guns and grenades . Allah take care of Pakistan.
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: Css 2010

Thanked 1,291 Times in 524 Posts
Viceroy is a splendid one to beholdViceroy is a splendid one to beholdViceroy is a splendid one to beholdViceroy is a splendid one to beholdViceroy is a splendid one to beholdViceroy is a splendid one to behold

This is the saddest news I've heard in recent months
I don't know what to say on this
No words can express my anger and sorrow at this time

Allah be with Pakistan

hira imam rizvi is on a distinguished road

im really very sorry and totally speechless.
whts going to become of us?
will there a day without a news of death and misery?
wht are we getting out of these?
when would we be one as a nation?

The terrorists are now wearing Poice Uniforms and are hidding in the mosque.

this is so shocking and saddening.
we dont need a rocket scientist to figure out who did it.
but are we bold enough to say it?

Last edited by Mumtaz Hayat Maneka; Monday, March 30, 2009 at 12:58 PM.

fahad khan is on a distinguished road
Angry

This is really sad news and quite appalling

These people could not be Pakistanis....

We can only become one nation by only thinking about our country interests leaving personal and provincial interests and work for country not for money

I give u example in Japan people used to do work in working time for money but they also work for extra hour daily only for their country

But we people leaving the extra time try to escape from work in working time..

Last edited by Mumtaz Hayat Maneka; Monday, March 30, 2009 at 12:59 PM.
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2008 - Roll no 3837

Huriya is on a distinguished road

dear,
never run from reality but accept it and look for the solution.
The men who are sitting on top of police academy manawa's roof are pakistanis their informers standing out and their hosts in the area all are pakistanis.....

politicians would waste their energies in playing GAMES, pulling legs, celebrating ploitical victories, mourning at political defeats...

buisnessmen would get busy in piling notes, driving their capital away from unsafe part of the world

intellectuals would bicker with each other in tv talk shows...

parents would ask children to apply for european, canadian, australian visa and leave this hell.........

intelligence agencies would be engagged in preparing another WARNING REPORT TO FED/PUNJ/SIN/BALO/NWFP GOVT "10-18 TERRORIST ENTERED UR TERRITORY'............TAKE CARE

police shall get busy in making money from disputing parties, and less think about any attack on any academy

diplomats would still prove by their eloquencies how different enemy states are involved in the show down

HERD OF CATTLE IS NEVER CALLED A NATION
Emoemar (Monday, March 30, 2009), hira imam rizvi (Tuesday, March 31, 2009)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2008 - 7th in Sindh Urban

Emoemar will become famous soon enough

I don't think words can describe my feelings right now.

Feeling so sad and horrified, and yet so angry at the same time as to how can such things be happening in our beloved home land.

I think it might be correct to say that i am somewhat confused by all this as well. Who are these people? What is the purpose of this all? Is it retaliation against something? Or just plain horror/terror spreading tactics? When you attack a place like police academy (and other similar attacks on FIA, navy and SSG outfits), you are attacking the institutional image of a country. The first question such attacks/events raise is that when the people who are supposed to protect the people, cant even look after themselves, how would they be able to carry out their wider duties? Secondly, does this also not serve as a discouraging tactic, since it symbolizes putting a target on your head if you want to join any of our miscellaneous security/law enforcing agencies? Thirdly, when will our reaction (policy/strategy) to such events change? How many more attacks are required to make the people who matter realized what the real problems on the ground are?

And how would we have felt had God forbid this been the CSA or even PMA perhaps? What would our reaction be then? And why should our reaction be any different now?

I believe that just carrying out a good investigation, and bringing the perpetrator to a court of law, and condemning the attacks (which is always the official press release on such sad events and i don't see it being as any different this time around) is no longer sufficient. We need to ensure that such things do not take place and be proactive rather than reactive. I am not suggesting that our law enforcing agencies are not trying to do just that, in fact, i salute all those devoted men and women who are putting their lives on the line so that our children may have one more safe day. It is the alarmingly laid back, disconnected and non-serious attitude of the government / concerned stake holders, that leaves me sad, angry and baffled all at the same time.

I think the priorities need to be straightened, you always start mending a problems by taking out the bullet inside and not just covering and dressing up the wound, don't you? So shouldn't we be solving economy, energy, security, education, and health based problems rather than speculating on how long this govt. may or may not last? I think by and large ours has become a nation of selfish, vain, inconsiderate, ungrateful, and uncaring elite. In fact, elite is to narrow a term, a more appropriate phrase would be "people in a position to help / improve our less fortunate brethren". For us the problem is not a problem unless God forbid it strikes close to home sadly.

We keep on bleating and crying about democracy this democracy that, how different or better off are we from a year ago? I say, what is different from before, except more terror, high inflation, no electricity and soon to be no water? By this i am in no way supporting the unaccounted and perhaps non-mend able damage caused by the previous regime, but we need to ask questions of the present one as to what they have been up to. Aren't still all the decisions being still made in the presidency (or perhaps across a nice lounge or room in you know where?)

I for one don't care who is the CM Punjab or whether some party is getting deserted / forward blocks are being formed, when my brothers and sisters are being slaughtered here and there as if the golden horde has descended on us again. Give the people food, security, prosperity and progress, by solving the root issues , rather than be busy in ensuring that this sham of a system of political dynasties and filling personal coffers continues. And the one thing that has really reached the limit is the political jousting and airing of the political dirty laundry. I understand that these are all steps in the right directions for a stable, mature and representative democratic system to evolve and mature, but do we really have time for this? These are sensitive times in our country's bid for progress and perhaps even survival. So rather than just playing the blame game and shrugging up all accountability by saying that all the problems are from the previous regime and we are unable to solve them, we should buckle up and start doing something about them. After all if i am now in a position of power/authority these should be my problems, irrespective of their origins.
Since after all what distinguishes a leader from the masses? Shouldn't it be his/her vision, passion, determination, unselfishness, belief, courage, compassion and fear of Allah with regards to the responsibilities that position entails or the fact that i was born in/married to /related to some people who had previously been in such positions?

I am sorry if this may have turned into a rant, about my frustrations and problems of our country/brethren i don't see getting solved, but this incidence should serve to be the final warning bell to our nation. Either get up and strive/fight/struggle for what you believe in and aspire to be or perish like all those lifeless nations who only knew gratification, corruption, and a love for everything temporal alone.

Regards,
There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat, And we must take the current when it serves, Or lose our ventures. ~ William Shakespeare
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emoemar For This Useful Post:
Huriya (Monday, March 30, 2009), SikanderHayat007 (Tuesday, March 31, 2009)

l050006 is on a distinguished road

27 deaths and more than 100 persons are injured. shock news. RAW is continouly targeting pakistan.

l050006 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by l050006
27 deaths and more than 100 persons are injured. shock news. RAW is continouly targeting pakistan.
Numbers are increasing rapidly. one person has been cought by pakistan
army. who show himself as a citizan of pakistan distt. shiekhupura. he was going to destory helicopter( heavy bombs), which is there for security purposes. the planned attack after the attack on srilankan team. india is taking revenge from pakistan of dehli attack. " i think ISI is sleeping now a days and taking interest in govt affairs". This is time for isi to handle this satuation otherwise RAW will destroy pakistan.

Omer will become famous soon enough

Attack on police academy leaves 13 dead

LAHORE: Four of the gunmen who attacked a police academy in the Manawan area on the outskirts of Lahore have been killed, while a fifth is in custody, the Associated Press reported. Earlier, Rangers personnel said two of the militants had been killed.

However, government official Rao Iftikhar also said about 11 of the gunmen remained holed up at the top floor of a building in the compound, and that they were holding some 35 police hostage.

The army and other security forces have surrounded the compound, and army snipers shot three of the attackers to death.

Separately, more explosions were heard inside the police training academy where terrorists used machine guns and grenades to launch an attack, leaving at least 13 policemen dead and over 90 wounded, Dawn News reported.

The attackers may have blown themselves up in the building this time, police said, adding that the death toll in the incident is likely to rise.

Interior Ministry chief Rehman Malik said 52 police were wounded in the attack but gave no word on the number killed.

Punjab Governor Salman Taseer said the authorities had reports of four people confirmed killed, though television news channels put the number of dead at 20.

A passerby was also killed during the exchange of fire, a Dawn correspondent said.

Army and paramilitary troops laid siege, firing from rooftops of surrounding buildings, while the terrorist gunmen in police uniforms returned fire and threw grenades to keep security forces at bay.

'Our elite squad has surrounded the area. God willing, now we will get into the building,' Mushtaq Sukhera, a senior police official, told journalists at the scene.

'I have counted 12 bodies but I don't know exactly how many have been killed,' said Mohammad Raza, another police officer.

Governor Taseer said up to 10 gunmen carried out the assault, though one wounded policeman told a news channel there were up to 20 gunmen in the compound. The gunmen have taken over 400 police trainees hostage, Dawn
News reported.

The attackers are on the second and third floor of the building, Dawn News quoted a hostage as saying earlier.

Secretary Interior Kamal Shah told news channels that the two floors of the building had been cleared of the attackers.

The assault came less than a month after a dozen gunmen attacked Sri Lanka's cricket team in Lahore, killing six police guards and a bus driver. Those gunmen escaped.

The training centre is on the outskirts of the city, on the road to the nearby border with India.

'It's a continuation of the series of attacks carried out by the terrorists,' Taseer told journalists, adding that a curfew has been imposed in the area.

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/...50-injured--il
"A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done."