Saturday, May 18, 2024
12:42 AM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Monday, October 12, 2009

Fadee is on a distinguished road
Default Comparing CSS officer's life with other ...

I was just wondering how a daily routine of a CSP officer goes ... as in their daily tasks, responsibilities, working hours, days-off etc. I have searched through the forum but havent came across topic of this sort...so I thought of posting a new thread myself...apologies if its already been done or discussed elsewhere...and will appreciate if the url of that discussion is provided (if it has been discussed before).

Anyhow, I more interested to know about the day-to-day tasks of a CSP officer in FSP, PSP, DMG, PAAC, ITG but seniors from other cadres, please share your experience as well. Things like, leaves/vacation dates for you, do you follow strict time schedule or the working hours are flexible, you can have day offs or is missing a work day next to impossible, as in like, everything is needed to pre-planned, etc.

Plus, esp for FSP, how often do you people travel and travel back to Pak to see your relatives and friends?

Seniors, and respected serving CSPs and forum members, please give us the feel of a CSP officer. I just wanted to compare it with the daily life routine of a corporate employee/businessman etc. And to see to what extent it differs ... help is appreciated.

-----------------------------------------

.::| Not Failure but Low Aim is a Crime |::.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fadee For This Useful Post:
shahidpiracha (Saturday, October 17, 2009)
Old Monday, October 12, 2009

engr.shaikh is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thanks for the above for the reason that no one has written on this issue.
I have some points which are worth discussing. Being a corporate employee in one of the leading industory of Pakistan, I am serving the organization since 3 years.

Prevailing bad situations in the govt machinary, ill-planning, unclear objctives, ambiguous plans are increasing. While govt bussy in dealing with terrorist activites it is very difficult for the govt to pay attention to these bureaucrates. I thought the corporate employees, who are the pillers of the these corporate companies suppporting economy of pakistan, should join Civil Services to make it progressive.

One such thought struck into my mind and triggered my passion to work for the country. But i have no idea how these bureaucrates work and how they lead their lives.

So my friend has initiated a very good issue to be discussed
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to engr.shaikh For This Useful Post:
Fadee (Monday, October 12, 2009), shahidpiracha (Saturday, October 17, 2009)
Old Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Yes2010 is on a distinguished road

Dear Fadee thank you for inviting me to cast my Input on your post, although I must honestly confess I was flinching from your Query given the nature and sensitivities involved.

Here it goes….

Apart from responsibility and pressure life of a CSP is as normal as you expect anyone’s to be. Please evict the feeling of a CSP being a superhuman or someone extraordinary they are just simple human beings like us, you and they. What set them apart is the responsibility, accountability and pressure they endure during daily day operations provided with the facilities, public recognition and respect they command.

Civil service is the engine of our state propelling our country through up’s and down’s in addition CSP’s tasked to steer it through every nook and corner make out the best farther utilize their potential to ingrain prosperity

I would elaborate pros and cons in a series like fashion starting from Top most wanted groups

Every service differs on account of 3 primary factors:
Posting (where you are posted)
Dynamics (what decisions you take/affect/effect of your decision)
Environment (affect of culture, norms and values on system)

PSP: (you can differ) is the toughest and most demanding group among all other groups of CSS cadre given its involvement, accountability, responsiveness and effectiveness,

Involvement: direct involvement with public / demand of public
Accountability: its decision directly affects/effects public
Responsiveness: Expectations of masses to curtail crime and put brisk actions in practice
Effectiveness: Quality of Public service and deliverance

Having so many responsibilities and expectations from public provided with inability to deliver is going to result in utter chaos thus one can imagine what one has to do to meet the challenges.

PSP sometimes proves to be a full time uniform Job moreover sometimes relaxing official work based on where you are posted and what you are tasked with? If you are an ADC to I.G of a province or to a Chief Minister you will enjoy your life to its utmost meeting VIP’s learning developing public relations which can further prove helpful to you in longer run.

If you are posted as ASP in a district your responsibility triples every morning you wake up occupied by newspapers searching perturbed for any murder or dacioty that might have taken place in your Jurisdiction, nowadays it has become more demanding owing to the upsurge in militancy.

Unlike other groups you can work late in night or sometimes in a given situation non stop for 16 to 18 hours, I have seen D.I.G sitting in a wedding rushing leaving the marriage unattended because Chief minister was on inspection.

Political pressure plays a pivotal role in decision making and determining the nature of a decision.

Nonetheless it’s a very good mean of public service especially when it comes to relief of poor persecuted women and minors.

Thus we conclude by saying it’s a very tough full time Job pushing you very hard, Yes like every other Job definitely you can ask for vacations and will be granted.

DMG: (You can differ) Again a demanding Job if you are in an Executive position like DCO, Home or Finance Secretary or Secretary S&GAD this Job requires a lot on part of management, decision making, policy, planning formulation and implementation, this Job grooms you a lot, polish you and train you to tackle the challenges in a befitting manner, compare to PSP; DMG is a little bit relaxed in terms of timing you can play Golf or Tennis in evening, attend functions and do whatever pleases you.

FSP: (You can differ) Very official Job a lot of paper work, formal always occupied with a task provided with a lot of responsibility ,an outstanding Job all about Charm and allure exposure to the world at its best. Again what you get in this service is incomparable to other groups.
Personality grooming, Influence and Charisma is what defines this group.

C&EG (Customs): (You can differ) Royal Job from an AC car to an AC Office all you have to do is Press Superintendents and Deputy Superintendents to collect revenues. You just have to sit in big office sign reports and manage the middle hierarchy thus it’s a enjoyable Job, no restrictions no pressure Job purely on your own terms.

ITG: (You can differ) same as C&EG Luxury, peaceful Job do whatever pleases you, you are a family man.

I hope my post has proved to be of some help to you.

PS: I deem it appropriate at the very outset to Jot down my post is not intended to offend anyone nor cause any dismay it’s just a chunk of my observation for obvious reasons.

Regards
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Yes2010 For This Useful Post:
Artemis (Thursday, August 26, 2010), cuckoo (Thursday, October 15, 2009), Fadee (Wednesday, October 14, 2009), fais (Monday, December 07, 2009), Faraz_1984 (Wednesday, October 14, 2009), jadoon khan (Wednesday, October 14, 2009), leibniz (Friday, April 30, 2010), MAHIKAN (Tuesday, October 13, 2009), paras Sulehri (Wednesday, April 24, 2013), Sheryar khan (Wednesday, October 14, 2009), usman munir (Thursday, December 22, 2011)
Old Wednesday, October 14, 2009

raja anand is on a distinguished road
Question

According to my point of view the life of CSP officer is difficult as compared to ordinary person even CSP officer is getting more benefit rather than mango people. He has more responsibilities and duties in the correspondent department.
In other words he has more official and social responsibilities.

Thanks a lot Yes2010 for your comprehensive reply. It is much appreciated.
Actually, I am presently working in the corporate sector, outside Pakistan and alhumdullilah, enjoying good life as in, with the Grace of All Mighty Allah, I am financially stable, able to support my family, and when married, I have bright chances of getting promoted up to high levels.

Anyhow, my utmost desire or you can say, my passion is to be a CSS officer. I always wanted to be part of the CORE team who takes part in important decision making of the country and obviously CSS is the ultimate. Though politicians share the same thing but then, I believe, there is more prestige and honour in being a CSP officer. Just my opinion.

Money is not the main thing in my life but it certainly has its importance. I was not aiming for "money-less" authority as in experiencing trouble financially in my life. Moreover, my current job and living standard has risen, alhumdullilah, so it would be difficult to adjust in less-earning job. As I do not belong to a rich family, so my family background (financially) is not so powerful that it will support me in any manner.

Nevertheless, I am still aiming for CSS as nothing beats it! Also tell me, whether it is possible to do some business or other work whilst being a CSP officer. Obviously I do not mean that I will be spending my entire time in business but like becoming a partner in my friend's business and spending some time to earn more. Maybe working after the usual working hours of a CSP officer.

Appreciate your help and thank you for your kind words.
And I request others also to share some knowledge.

Dear Fadee AOA

I am pleased to learn about your perception regarding Civil Services, you have rightly concieved the prospect of civil services " Nothing beats it " but in addition I would advise you not to kindly undermine the prospect of corporate sector you might have heard a familiar Term "CIP" (Corporate Important person) nowadays you see "CIP" lounges on International airports sidelined "VIP" lounges up to some extent I would say,

So corporate sector is also an emerging Term, and you are right in your inclination towards corporate sector, Offcourse why not you can surely put up some time for your sideline business, again as aforementioned It depends on the nature of your Job and your capacity to manage both on sameness, Its a personal choice Civil service does not deter you from owning your own business provided you allocate ample time to your principal task of Public service.

I have a friend who at the sametime happens to be an ASP and member of an Accountancy firm ( he is a C.A).

I wish you all the best give it your best shot, its worth it moreover be steadfast, Pray for your success, have no misgivings in mind you will do it Inshallah.

PS: most importantly avoid making contact with those who discourage's you regarding CSS.

Regards
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yes2010 For This Useful Post:
ahsan7886 (Friday, November 18, 2016), Fadee (Thursday, October 15, 2009), fais (Monday, December 07, 2009), Sheryar khan (Wednesday, October 14, 2009)

Omer will become famous soon enough

@ Fadee

You have rightly said "Nothing beats it". Yes, you can do side business while in services as most of CSPs are doing and there is nothing impossible in it. You would not be the worker but you need to overlook the business. People are doing business while being abroad. So have your mind clear in this respect and go ahead with your passion.

@Yes2010

I know the CSP you are talking about (who is also ASP). Yea, there is a healthy trend that corporate people are coming toward services. I, being a chartered accountant, also have strong propensity for civil services.

The basic reason is why well salaried corporate people are coming in this field is that, as said by my fellow Fadee, the corporate life makes you a mealy self centered person who is always at the pity of some CEO of a multinational company or mian sahib. Though they have skills, but still. But if someone has a will to be the part of "CORE" team taking part in country's matters and policies, "corporate important person" lounge will not attract him anyway.
"A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Omer For This Useful Post:
Fadee (Thursday, October 15, 2009), Sheryar khan (Wednesday, October 14, 2009)
Old Thursday, October 15, 2009

Thank you Yes2010 and Omer for useful posts.

Actually, for some odd reason, I thought on becoming a CSP officer, one will have to let go his other profession plus will also have to dissassociate him/herself from any other business etc. But thank you for making this point clear.

Further, I am still awaiting for seniors to comment upon a daily routine life of a CSP officer. Obviously I do not mean minute-by-minute tasks but in general, how is it like a CSP officer?

How is his relation with his senior(s), as in as a corporate employee where the boss is always right!

And Yes2010, I understand CIP is an emerging thing but I believe, there is nothing more than representing your own country. No matter, how high position you reach in the corporate world, you will remain an employee. No offense though to any corporate personality but this is just what I think.

So, a CSP officer is his own boss or he has to follow a usual tough schedule for instance, coming to office on time, no breaks, no long lunch hours, work-only at office etc

I hope my queries are clear for seniors to answer.
Thanks

Dear Fadee I dont know whether you will be responded by a Senior or on field active CSP I feel like adding part of my experience.

I understand living in a foreign land has not yet provided you with experiencable opportunity to cast a glance over the life of CSP brother let me make it very clear CSS is a 17 Grade Job (Class 1 Officer) what sets it apart from other Ex-Cadre Jobs is the promotion time and facilites provided with Horizontal and vertical mobility (you can be posted throughout pakistan).

We need to keep a reality check Just be real

Grade 17 means, 17 Grade pay, 17 Grade treatment and 17 Grade Facilities nothing more nothing less, what differentiates you, a distingushing tag of a CSS Cadre Officer which ultimately gains you alot of respect among your contemporaries who are from Ex-Cadre (which commonly call rankers),

For Instance an Ex-Cadre S.P of Police shows more respect and understanding towards an ASP Just because he knows that the very Junior ASP coming from PSP Cadre is going to get promoted as S.P in a time span of 3 years or less, and more sooner to S.S.P, which renders him his senior hope you have got the point.

regarding becoming a Boss its Bureaucracy sir it assume its own paradigm of command.

If you are an A.C you are certainly answerable to a DCO same as if you are a 3rd secretary on a foreign mission you are accountable to Ambassador.

Again Reality check, Apart from few Group/Services nobody really gets to represent his country some pertains to Internal helm of affairs whilst some External.

And If I may ask you representation in terms of what ?

Last but not the least life in civil service is out of line with corporate sector bosses are different, environment is different, working condition is different and life is utterly dissimilar.

Its bureaucracy not a Scientific management experiment.

coming to office on time : Yes
No Breaks: which one ? break or brake ? If latter yes you can have as many brakes as your schedule capacitates.
No long lunch: again depends which lunch Official or non Official, If former take ur time, If latter Enjoy your love for food
Work only at Office: depends on Group you Join,

Hope to answered your queries brother.

Regards,

@ Sheryar
Asalam u Alaikum Sa haal hawal di Gulla cheri ya ? Zra mi khushala sawo yara, Za pa Qta ki Yam zhar Phone dar ta koma
salam
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yes2010 For This Useful Post:
fais (Monday, December 07, 2009), Sheryar khan (Thursday, October 15, 2009)

Sheryar khan is on a distinguished road

@ Fade

believe me whatever yes2010 has said is enough you dont need anymore explanation coz yes2010 elder brothers are Csps 1 is psp and other 1 is Dmg he knows well what life of csp is !

@ Yes2010

yar na shabas quetta ki ay aur za di khabar karam na yum ?