Sunday, April 28, 2024
07:59 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Friday, September 10, 2010
40th CTP (OMG)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 333

fromQAU will become famous soon enoughfromQAU will become famous soon enough
Default Do we need Dictatorship leading to democracy ?

Do we need Dictatorship leading to democracy ?

there is an ongoing debate in newspapers and in tv channels that something like dictatorship seems to be expedient for Pakistan as the democratic forces at the moment r not efficient enough to deal with myriad of problems. The proponents of the concept of “Dictatorship leading to democracy” present following arguments:

1) Inefficient Politicians, their hegemony, rhetoric and personalization of politics in Pakistan;

2) Lack of an effective accountability mechanism;

3) Uncontrolled corruption;

4) Institutional imbalances and crises;

5) Disrespect for judicial orders;

6) Judicial activism;

7) Unbridled media;

8) Ideological confusion (whether to go secular or turn Islamic as a state);

9) Our arrogant, feudal and revengeful political culture ;

10) Lack of political socialization.

What do u people think ??

Don't be surprised by the question as such dictatorships hv come to be seen in past in various countries most importantly in Latin American countries where patriotic generals assumed the levers of power and after facing some initial hardships and resistance they could successfully launch a sober and serious planning towards democratizing their political culture and bringing not only the local people and politicians to a level of maturity and sense of responsibility and indoctrining democratic values in them but also they embarked on a successful process of political socialization from the elementary education system.

all the senior and mature people are requested to share their views.
this govt is run by some compromises between the govt and coalition partners and also opposition.it continues to b in power just bcoz of those compromises.but these compromises r just based on the survival of their selfish and party interests.the local people at large seem to be fade up of this style of democracy.
The Following User Says Thank You to fromQAU For This Useful Post:
Noor.Faiza (Sunday, September 12, 2010)
Old Saturday, September 11, 2010
39th CTP (DMG)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2010 - Merit  09Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

maliasghar is a glorious beacon of lightmaliasghar is a glorious beacon of lightmaliasghar is a glorious beacon of lightmaliasghar is a glorious beacon of lightmaliasghar is a glorious beacon of light

I have the following two observations to make:
1. There have been such dictatorships in the past too, ostensibly with the similar objective of cleansing politics of dirt. But we all know that such did not materialize, and all dictatorships ended creating more mess than before.
2. We must also realize that there can never be a uniform model of governance to fit all societies. Democracy though appealing it may seem does not appear to have worked in the Muslim world. Perhaps, there might be a reason why Islam did not ordain a westminster style democracy.
fromQAU (Sunday, September 12, 2010), Noor.Faiza (Sunday, September 12, 2010)
40th CTP (IRS)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 163

Sakk will become famous soon enough

From the perspective of Pakistan *Dictatorship leading to democracy* has proven to be a disastrous phenomenon. It is evident from our last 63 years of history. The very first time dictatorship leaded to democracy was 1971 which has gifted us the separation of East Wing, then in 1988 when the second time dictatorship leaded democracy has given us KlashinKov culture, an un ending spate of sectarianism by Gen. Zia-ul-Haq, the home grown jihadis which are now a days acting against the very home land of Pakistan. Recently when the dictatorial regime has leaded to a democratic span has given us an unscrupulous and un ended war on terror, complete chaotic order, a confused islamic ideology, a corrupt state of mind etc. etc.

I am not in favour of a pure democratic regime as of current democratic order but the points mentioned by you all propagated from the previously spanned dictatorial regime. Every time a dictator has risen on the horizon of Pakistan has caused a death blow and the whole responsibility is put on the shoulders of democratic order.

I hope the point is clear and there should never be a dictatorship leading to democracy rather a democracy leading to democracy will be a process worth mentioning. Its the beauty of democracy that it matures with time. A perfect example infront of us is India's Democracy and they are far mature than us due to continuous penetration from democratic heads rather than uniform generals.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sakk For This Useful Post:
fromQAU (Sunday, September 12, 2010)

khuhro is a jewel in the roughkhuhro is a jewel in the roughkhuhro is a jewel in the rough

Dear brother the problem you have mentioned in your post like corruption and many more. have increase in times of dictatorship in pakistan. as we all have experinced. so i think we would never ever to thought that dicatators could be better then the politicians. like we saw that
Inefficient Politicians, their hegemony is on increase at the time of musharaf and zia
we dint saw any accountability mechanism in their times
corruption is also on the top at the times of dictatorship, so this is long debate. actually as being as student of political science and public administration i dint found any other form of goverment better then the democracy, and i thought everyone have same view (may be not) but
if so called journalist and news agencies talk about ANOTHER form of goverment so why dont the prescribe any other mechanism of govt. i think we need betterment not to change, beacuse
CHANGING THE THINGS IS NOT A SOLUTION, BETTERMENT OF THINGS IS PERMENENT CHANGE
Old Sunday, September 12, 2010

hina_a is on a distinguished road

The ugliest face of dictatorship is that it fractures national solidarity and unity. Every time Pakistan had to face a dictator regime some part of the national unity eroded away be it East Pakistan 1971 to Balouch nationalist. Only a democratically chosen parliament which has representatives from all sectors of society can hold a nation together.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hina_a For This Useful Post:
40th CTP (IRS)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 313

Riaz Ahmed Alizai has a spectacular aura aboutRiaz Ahmed Alizai has a spectacular aura about
Default Wash AAthke

With political institutions eroded by the inept political leaders, Military emerged as an integral part of decision making in Pakistan.The analyses show that three factors explain the transformation of the civil-military relations.
i.The nature and problems of the civil society.
ii.The nature of the military.
iii.The interactions across the boundaries of the civil and military domains.
The military’s position was strengthened by Pakistan’s acute sense of insecurity caused by regional security pressure.Mr. Bhutto did try to assert civilian supremacy by strengthening political institutions because of set back due to 1971 debacle in East Pakistan. However, his objective was defeated by the very policies he adopted to achieve this. Pakistan can now be described as a praetorian state where the military has acquired the capability, will and sufficient experience to dominate the core political institutions.After ruling for 33 years Millitary could not deliver what a democracy is expected to deliever.Democratic practices and institutions have been mired by sudden interruptions and their stunt approach did not allow people to advance with the supplement of democratic norms.Dictatorship in all its manifestations can not be a patch on democratic system, because of its hatred,fundamentalist and complacent approach.
Systems take root if there is no fear of being extermination.Unfortunately and admittedly we as a nation have never been able to produce capable leadership who could draw us out from the vortex of viscous circle.System has been plagued by self seeking politicians and nomenclature loving Military icons,who do believe in their vested interests.
All the menaces,described by you,are an evident sign of our failure as a nation.We have garnered many opportunities in the form of democratic governments to serve the people,but our inherent hatred and fundamentalist politics has left us inept in the eyes of Military lust seekers.
Symptoms can be cured if decent, pragmatic p0licies and public welfare oriented plans are pursued with implicit faith and sincere commitment.
Regards
The Following User Says Thank You to Riaz Ahmed Alizai For This Useful Post:
40th CTP (OMG)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 333

fromQAU will become famous soon enoughfromQAU will become famous soon enough

@Riaz Ahmed Alizai

Quote:
With political institutions eroded by the inept political leaders, Military emerged as an integral part of decision making in Pakistan.The analyses show that three factors explain the transformation of the civil-military relations.
i.The nature and problems of the civil society.
ii.The nature of the military.
iii.The interactions across the boundaries of the civil and military domains.
The military’s position was strengthened by Pakistan’s acute sense of insecurity caused by regional security pressure.Mr. Bhutto did try to assert civilian supremacy by strengthening political institutions because of set back due to 1971 debacle in East Pakistan. However, his objective was defeated by the very policies he adopted to achieve this. Pakistan can now be described as a praetorian state where the military has acquired the capability, will and sufficient experience to dominate the core political institutions.After ruling for 33 years Millitary could not deliver what a democracy is expected to deliever.Democratic practices and institutions have been mired by sudden interruptions and their stunt approach did not allow people to advance with the supplement of democratic norms.Dictatorship in all its manifestations can not be a patch on democratic system, because of its hatred,fundamentalist and complacent approach.
Systems take root if there is no fear of being extermination.Unfortunately and admittedly we as a nation have never been able to produce capable leadership who could draw us out from the vortex of viscous circle.System has been plagued by self seeking politicians and nomenclature loving Military icons,who do believe in their vested interests.
From which book hv u taken this Riaz ?
Perhaps military and politics by H.A.Rizvi ?

Quote:
Symptoms can be cured if decent, pragmatic p0licies and public welfare oriented plans are pursued with implicit faith and sincere commitment.
Anyway, just tell me how to bring this into real being ?

Hina i think that we hv elected representatives.they hv really disappointed us with their performance.i wanted to say that do we need an honest one man to rise to top and change the whole of it.

@khuhro

i know democracy is the most efficient form of govt.
but i want to say that we dun hv that infrastructure which is part and parcel of a successful democracy.the problems that i mentioned hv weakened our socio-political fabric and hv turned the nation frustrated.

@Sakk
brother u hv mentioned some really good pints.
But I feel that many of friends hv nt bn able to understand the essence of what I m talking.i reiterate that can a dictator (either civilian or a military general) can resolve our problems if he works truly in a patriotic way? I m quite aware of how and what the military dictators in past hv delivered us.

@maliasghar:
Brother I believe that democracy fits in all the societies.unfortunately, we hv nt seen democracy in its true spirit.the fact of the matter is this thatdemocracy has never bn allowed to flourish in our country.we hv nt seen democracy and its fruits yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to fromQAU For This Useful Post:
Noor.Faiza (Sunday, September 12, 2010)
40th CTP (IRS)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 163

Sakk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
@Sakk
brother u hv mentioned some really good pints.
But I feel that many of friends hv nt bn able to understand the essence of what I m talking.i reiterate that can a dictator (either civilian or a military general) can resolve our problems if he works truly in a patriotic way? I m quite aware of how and what the military dictators in past hv delivered us.
Yes of course and without any doubt. It simply reminds me of Mr.Gandhi quote expressing his views about a leader (whether civil or military dictator) in such wordings.

"The best thing to happen to India would be to be reigned by a dictator as just and upright as Umar, RA" (Mohatma Gandhi)

So there is no question that a dictator will always lead a country towards disastrous end and the same can be doubted about a civil leader as well, but its the way one governs the country. The only single reason Pakistanis hate dictators to great extent is that we had bad stories edited by dictators in past and proved their ineptness. So we as a nation are in utter confusion as to where we lay our emphasis to whom look forward for improvement.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sakk For This Useful Post:

khuhro is a jewel in the roughkhuhro is a jewel in the roughkhuhro is a jewel in the rough

@ from QAU

i find great that you have read all our comments and gives your point of view but i would like to know that
according to you which country have better infrastructre for the democracy and what are those factors which creates infrastruture for the democracy
and second would you like define basic function of socio political infrastructre (as you have writes fabric)

hina_a is on a distinguished road

I believe in strength of institutions rather then man. Yes! an honest, patriotic man can lead the nation to prosperity for some time, but it is pragmatic that our democratic institutions need to be strengthen and this can only happen when they are given enough time to mature. To draw a inference in this regard one must keep in mind the past experiences of the dictators all of who had proclaimed to be Caesars of patriots but had been out right failures. I understand that the elected representatives had been a disappointment but let the voter realize his power to vote. It is the electoral process which actually needs to be rectified. A transparent, fair and independent election commission. Strict criteria for the elected representatives is actually the need of the hour.
The Following User Says Thank You to hina_a For This Useful Post: