Monday, April 29, 2024
05:57 AM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Saturday, December 23, 2006
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

I M Possible will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Child labour-A big question mark

http://www.dawn.com/2006/12/23/ed.htm#3

I was looking at the newspaper when i saw there is a news that ILO is funding $1.5 million for implementing an anti child labour project in NWFP. Well it is sometihng on government level and will go on the way they want it go.

But i think we don't ahve any wayout to child labour due to many rationales. We are lacking education, awareness, financial resources, etc. People need to be aware of the problems of bog families so they could control child labour. Masses whould be aware by the help of education and awareness programs. We may provide them incentives.

But then i was thinking that what if government would provide them incentives. they will probably waste it because of lack of awareness. Govt may aware them as well but they have lack of mind to get the govt's motives.

They only want to pass their time in earning more and more wealth by exploiting their children. Their minds have absorbed the quotation that if they would have more children then it would be a human resource to get more and more wealth though them.

May be they realize the misunderstanding after some years but i think it is not humanly possible. Child labour has been incremented in pakistan with the growth of population. I haven't seen any decline in that.

Regards
Old Sunday, December 24, 2006

atifch is on a distinguished road

I WOULD LIKE TO THROW LIGHT ON A SPECIFIC KIND OF CHILD LABOUR;
that is child labour involved in carpet weaving industry ...carpets wowen by childeren with there small delicate hands are considered to be of the finest quality and are sold at high rates and form a big portion of our exports..
every exporter of such carpets is required to undertake that no child labour was involved in its weaving...they sign such undertakings and there is no such machinery to check wther there was involvement of child labour or not.
now y there is serious international concern over this specific type of labour ?
the answer is because such children are extremely exposed to the backbone complications and joint pains.
govt must have its check.
Old Sunday, December 24, 2006
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

atifch:

u have highlighted a single issue. u r right that give need to pay proper heed to the issue. Well there r many others which need proper attention on national and international level as well.

Regards
Old Monday, December 25, 2006
Economist In Equilibrium
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: she won the Essay competitionBest Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best ModMember of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: For the year 2006

Qurratulain has a spectacular aura aboutQurratulain has a spectacular aura aboutQurratulain has a spectacular aura about

@I M Possible

Yara, m' suffering from serious flu, fever and cough, coz of climate. I was not in a position to turn on the system on yesterday. SO sorry for delayed reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I M Possible
Well it is sometihng on government level and will go on the way they want it go.
Agreed.

Quote:
But i think we don't ahve any wayout to child labour due to many rationales. We are lacking education, awareness, financial resources, etc. People need to be aware of the problems of bog families so they could control child labour. Masses whould be aware by the help of education and awareness programs. We may provide them incentives.
certainly, we don’t have any way out. But in my opinion, the major problem is POVERTY in this context. According to the basic needs approach, education comes on fifth number, first comes ‘food’, second is ‘clothing’ thirdly ‘shelter’, fourthly ‘health’ and then ‘education’. Here we can’t provide education to these masses if there stomach is empty, if they don’t have clothes to wear, if they don’t have shelter to sit under and if they are physically and mentally unfit. It is the fact that the basic objective of this ‘child labour’ from their family’s point of view is to earn money in order to satisfy their basic needs. This child labour is not a surface problem as such, which can be thrown out in short run, instead it’s a problem with roots deep inside the economy. We can’t make a child to leave work and study if he and his family’s living is dependent on that particular work.

In my opinion, child labour cannot be nipped but its effect can be lessened initially and then this reduced effect may lead us to overcome the problem to a greater extent. For this purpose poverty reduction strategies should be implemented on rational basis. If government intends to provide incentives to poor then these incentives should be strictly monitored. Along with incetives, employment opportunities should be created for unemployed human resources. Cottage industry should be promoted. Children of poor families should be educated ‘technically’ along with academic education, as it is being practiced in China.

Quote:
But then i was thinking that what if government would provide them incentives. they will probably waste it because of lack of awareness. Govt may aware them as well but they have lack of mind to get the govt's motives.
Dear, they waste these incentives not because of unawareness, but because of hunger and poverty. Just ponder, govt gives them free books so that they can have education, but they sell those books in order to eat something. I think Govt should give them some part time activity (which can help them to develop some earning skill) so that they should continue their education in a better way.

Quote:
They only want to pass their time in earning more and more wealth by exploiting their children. Their minds have absorbed the quotation that if they would have more children then it would be a human resource to get more and more wealth though them.
You are right to some extent here. But just ponder in the roots of this problem. Why these people do all this, just because they don’t have enough money to have their basic needs fulfilled so in order to fulfil their needs they use their children. If employment opportunities are created for both men and women and they are strictly managed to work on them, and are monitored as well, they won’t be able to do all what they are doing presently. In my opinion, if you are given an incentive to someone, have a proper check and balance, in order to make sure, whether your incentive is being used properly or being wasted, and if it’s being wasted, you should be quite martinent in this regard. And that’s what Govt should do.

Quote:
May be they realize the misunderstanding after some years but i think it is not humanly possible. Child labour has been incremented in pakistan with the growth of population. I haven't seen any decline in that
Yes, they will realize only if they are MANGED, else they won’t. But I disagree when you say ‘this is not humanly possible’. Will some superhuman come to resolve the issue? No. Not at all. No one will come to resolve it. I think the strategy I’ve mentioned above can easily be applied by a normal human being and it can have positive results as well.

Regards,
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Medal of AppreciationQualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason:

Muskan Ghuman has a spectacular aura aboutMuskan Ghuman has a spectacular aura aboutMuskan Ghuman has a spectacular aura about

Good Analysis by Qurat & I M Possible.

I am agreed to Qurat that Poverty is the main factor which is contributing in child labour, when there is nothinhg to eat no body will bother to have education or awareness because for existence food is essential. But I think awareness can play its role in poverty allevation, when people have awareness they will be able to get rid of poverty & fatalism. They will realise that to gain more wealth only human resourcs are not sufficent. Moreover gender bias in our society should be curbed if women have good opportunities to lend a hand to the male member of the family, definatly they will easliy manage to keep the wolf out of their doors & child labour will be reduced.

Moreover these anti-child labour projects can be helpful only if serious efforts to implement them are made by the government & welloff people of the society, otherwise such projects come & go without any laudable achievement.

It is impossible to get rid of child labour with in a blink of an eye but efforts can be made to enhance the working conditions & to reduce the working hours. If these children are well paid & the working hours are less then they can easliy manage their studies & work simultaniously.

Regards,

Muskan:

Dear i agree to ur points ut still the question is there ... How to alleviate child labour???
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Medal of AppreciationQualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason:

Muskan Ghuman has a spectacular aura aboutMuskan Ghuman has a spectacular aura aboutMuskan Ghuman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by I M Possible
Muskan:

Dear i agree to ur points ut still the question is there ... How to alleviate child labour???
*By poverty Alleviation
*Education
*Awareness
*Practical policies by government
*Job oppertunities for males & females both
*Enough salery
*Control of Population
*Anti-child labour projects

All these factors can alleviate child labour.

Last edited by Muskan Ghuman; Tuesday, December 26, 2006 at 12:51 PM.