Wednesday, May 08, 2024
03:52 AM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sunday, August 10, 2014

Aliinaa is on a distinguished road
Default Education system of Pakistan

I have a couple of questions regarding the education system in Pakistan. Looking forward to reading different views. Thanks in advance.
My questions are:

1. Should education be a provincial subject or a federal subject and why?

2. How do you see the different education systems( matric, fsc, O'levels,
A'levels, IB) in Pakistan? (Talk about their effects on the general public as
well)

3. a) What changes in the education system would you recommend?
b) Pakistan must follow one education system. Comment.

4. The poor children should also be given a chance to study in qualitative educational institutions. One policy can be to fund the educational fees of these children. However, studying with rich children "might" create the feelings of inferiority complex in them. The end result is that polarization between the rich and the poor can never be eliminated in the society. Comment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aliinaa For This Useful Post:
javeriaa (Friday, August 15, 2014)
Old Monday, August 11, 2014

waqas izhar will become famous soon enough

first of all you need to define an objective for your educational system.
the objective, in my opinion, should be developing critical thinking. nothing better than that.
for that you need exceptional teachers.
so the zeroth step is training of great teachers.
in our country teaching is not considered a 'status'. In Italy when a teacher enters a courtroom, everyone including the judge stand up. in US professors are excused of their taxes.
If in Pakistan you want to attract people to become teachers you have to give them incentives.
1. induction in BPS 18.
2. sales tax excused in the form of allowance in pay.
3. new schools build should have accommodation of teachers in their plan and accommodation should be free.
4. you can add more and it will be less

but if you are giving so many incentives you can now ask for competence.
1. two Masters. one of them to be in Literature or History.
2. competitive exam like CSS
3. languages teachers to write essay in respective languages
4. extensive training. training should be Masters in educational administration and not masters in education.

you need not to rely on matric type or O levels. you can make your own exam system. if a student shows spark for a particular subject he/she should be encouraged to study extensively that particular subject. why should a student study all subjects. if a student is excellent in one subject that is more than enough. there should not be the criteria of passing a minimum number of subjects to get in the next grade.

It can be both a federal as well as a provincial affair as long as the syllabus is homogenous.

The poor child who is rummaging the garbage has complexes too. better have those complexes in school. at least he has a chance to rise . so you have to bear with the complexes.

rest the way you have put up the questions is hard for me to answer
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to waqas izhar For This Useful Post:
Aaqib Javed (Monday, August 18, 2014), javeriaa (Friday, August 15, 2014), white leopard (Monday, August 11, 2014), xohi (Thursday, August 28, 2014)

white leopard will become famous soon enoughwhite leopard will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliinaa View Post
1. Should education be a provincial subject or a federal subject and why?
In my opinion it should be federal subject. Each and every child in this country should study same book and should have access to same facilities. No distinction!!!

Reason: if u will make it a provincial subject. each province will try to enhance its own culture and make it a ethnic and provincial issue e.g. Sindhi, Balouchi etc (thanks to our politicians...)

Quote:
2. How do you see the different education systems( matric, fsc, O'levels,
A'levels, IB) in Pakistan? (Talk about their effects on the general public as
well)
I see these systems as cast system in Hinduism... matric walae shudar and O'levels walay barhaman... I like waqas thoughts that we should have a new system. now nature of that system is another topic.

Quote:
3. a) What changes in the education system would you recommend?
b) Pakistan must follow one education system. Comment.
In germeny and japan students are not evaluated in studies until they are 7-8 years old. They are taught basic moral and traditions in early stages... hamarae han to bachay ko start sae he first anae ki dor ma laga daetae hn.

So basically, we need to change our method, our courses and above all we need train our teachers who taught children.

Quote:
4. The poor children should also be given a chance to study in qualitative educational institutions. One policy can be to fund the educational fees of these children. However, studying with rich children "might" create the feelings of inferiority complex in them. The end result is that polarization between the rich and the poor can never be eliminated in the society. Comment.
I think i 've said enough about this.

@waqas: I have a question for you. From where u learn these two facts?? can u mention source of this info here?In Italy when a teacher enters a courtroom, everyone including the judge stand up. in US professors are excused of their taxes.

PS: change in education will not happen in days. it will demand dedicated and continuous hard work for atleast 10 to 20 years.
javeriaa (Friday, August 15, 2014), waqas izhar (Monday, August 11, 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by white leopard View Post
@waqas: I have a question for you. From where u learn these two facts?? can u mention source of this info here?In Italy when a teacher enters a courtroom, everyone including the judge stand up. in US professors are excused of their taxes.
Alas! you may not like my sources . the Italian one comes from Ishfaq Ahmad. He sketched his visit to a courtroom when he was a teacher in Italy. He got a traffic ticket and did not pay it. He was arrested and taken to the court. When asked he said that he was busy because he is a teacher. on that the judge announced, " Teacher in the Court" and rose and so did everyone else. they apologised to ishfaq and let him go. and unfortunately i read it one in an sms and not even in a book . But ask me and i will say that even if it is not true, let it be true! let's make it true!

The tenure professors of US source is also shady . I was preparing Physics from lectures by Prof Ramamurti from Yale University. He said in one lecture that he is living a dream life because he does not have to pay taxes or parking tickets. But then again let us make that true too
The Following User Says Thank You to waqas izhar For This Useful Post:
white leopard (Monday, August 11, 2014)
Old Tuesday, August 12, 2014

the objective, in my opinion, should be developing critical thinking. nothing better than that.
Right. I agree, development of critical thinking is one of the very important objectives but “nothing better than that?”. Sir what is your opinion about moral education? I believe both should go hand in hand( and for me moral education is more important but that’s my view). Moreover, there is rampant corruption in the society. Very few people are immune to venality. People, in their exams write against corruption but they still indulge in it. Why? There is something very wrong. Yes, our roots are weak and this is where moral education comes in. Take another example of hatred amongst Muslims or that of sectarianism. I am not saying that the rest of the world is perfect but we atleast can work on our moral education. No?! What do you think? ( btw if I remember correctly, this year we were given précis on moral education, right?)

in our country teaching is not considered a 'status'. In Italy when a teacher enters a courtroom, everyone including the judge stand up. in US professors are excused of their taxes.
These examples are new to me but yes you are right about the status of teachers in Pakistan.

If in Pakistan you want to attract people to become teachers you have to give them incentives.
1. induction in BPS 18.
2. sales tax excused in the form of allowance in pay.
3. new schools build should have accommodation of teachers in their plan and accommodation should be free.
4. you can add more and it will be less
I guess you’re talking about the government teachers here only?
but if you are giving so many incentives you can now ask for competence.
1. two Masters. one of them to be in Literature or History.
Hmm, why two of these subjects? Why are you placing a condition in terms of field of study? (just a question  )
languages teachers to write essay in respective languages
Hmm, if he/she is a language teacher, why wouldn’t he/ she write the essay in their respective language? What’s so special about this point?
Regarding language, another question came to my mind. In government schools, I think children from prep( if there is one) class till 5th grade have to study in Urdu as in math tables etc, everything and after that they are loaded upon with english language( and that too they have to ratify). So what would you say about that? (btw correct me if I am wrong but that’s what I’ve been told.)

extensive training. training should be Masters in educational administration and not masters in education.

you need not to rely on matric type or O levels. you can make your own exam system.
True that but hardly anyone pays attention to forming one uniform and standardized education system. How about sending our brilliant students abroad to do masters in education policy on government scholarship?

if a student shows spark for a particular subject he/she should be encouraged to study extensively that particular subject. why should a student study all subjects. if a student is excellent in one subject that is more than enough. there should not be the criteria of passing a minimum number of subjects to get in the next grade.
Hmm, like in O’levels you have to study all the subjects till class 8 and then from class 9(and in some schools from class 8) you have to choose your subjects. But even in this case you can’t just sit for one exam. There must be 7 to 8 subjects and I feel this is reasonable. One must have basics atleast. Surely, one should study history, islamiyat, science, geography and all these subjects at this stage. The point you’re suggesting must be applied at a higher level such as A’level or at a university level not before that otherwise you’re unintentionally limiting the potential growth of a student which is not good.

It can be both a federal as well as a provincial affair as long as the syllabus is homogenous.
Ummm, right. Btw how are you expecting to create homogeneity in the syllabus when it’ll be a provincial subject? Can you give me few examples in which the whole nation has actually stood together, yes apart from cricket against India? :p
Previously, education has been made a provincial subject right? I feel it’ll prove disastrous for the whole country few years down the road. So it should be made a Federal subject as soon as possible.

In my opinion it should be federal subject. Each and every child in this country should study same book and should have access to same facilities. No distinction!!!
Reason: if u will make it a provincial subject. each province will try to enhance its own culture and make it a ethnic and provincial issue e.g. Sindhi, Balouchi etc (thanks to our politicians...)
I totally agree with you. 

I see these systems as cast system in Hinduism... matric walae shudar and O'levels walay barhaman... I like waqas thoughts that we should have a new system. now nature of that system is another topic.
Certainly we must because you see, who is earning from O’level and A’level examinations? Britain! But even if we make our own one single system, it must be of high quality otherwise our objective would remain unfulfilled. Can you suggest ways in which we can produce such a system?

In germeny and japan students are not evaluated in studies until they are 7-8 years old
Really? Well that is quite interesting. 

See at an individual level we can only fund the fees of children who cannot afford to go to schools. But I believe, financial aid is just not enough. The thing is what type of education are you giving? Does the Pakistani education system incorporate the critical thinking process? Moral values etc? The education system is in the hands of our policy makers and correct me if I am wrong, I feel bureaucrats can also bring reforms especially those assigned in the education sector. What do you think?
The Following User Says Thank You to Aliinaa For This Useful Post:

Umm, I don't know how to quote one or two lines individually so now you would have to read the whole of it. :/ But nevermind you'll have a reading practice
E M P O W E R

Gotam is a jewel in the roughGotam is a jewel in the roughGotam is a jewel in the rough

Select the text and click QUOTE that appears on the toolbar.

Also, you can read it here.
Aliinaa (Wednesday, August 13, 2014)

Quote:
Right. I agree, development of critical thinking is one of the very important objectives but “nothing better than that?”. Sir what is your opinion about moral education? I believe both should go hand in hand( and for me moral education is more important but that’s my view). Moreover, there is rampant corruption in the society. Very few people are immune to venality. People, in their exams write against corruption but they still indulge in it. Why? There is something very wrong. Yes, our roots are weak and this is where moral education comes in. Take another example of hatred amongst Muslims or that of sectarianism. I am not saying that the rest of the world is perfect but we atleast can work on our moral education. No?! What do you think? ( btw if I remember correctly, this year we were given précis on moral education, right?)
i think the precis was about inculcation of compassion. humanity, morality and compassion can only be inculcated by mothers. here is what Iqbal has said about it:
21. Muslim Solidarity
From what I have said above on Islam and patriotism it
follows that our solidarity as a community rests on our
hold on the religious principle. The moment this hold is
loosened we are nowhere. Probably the fate of the Jews
will befall us. And what can we do in order to tighten the
hold? Who is the principal depositary of religion in a
community? It is the woman. The Musalman woman
ought to receive sound religious education, for she is
virtually the maker of the community. I do not believe in
an absolute system of education. Education, like other
things, is determined by the needs of a community. For
our purposes religious education is quite sufficient for the
Muslim girl. All subjects which have a tendency to
dewomanise and to de-Muslimise her must be carefully
excluded from her education. But our educationists are still
groping in the dark; they have not yet been able to
prescribe a course of study for our girls. They are, perhaps,
too much dazzled by the glamour of western ideals to
realise the difference between Islamism which constructs
nationality out of a purely abstract idea, i.e. religion, and
“Westernism” the very life-blood of whose concept of
nationality is a concrete thing, i.e. country.

and of course you won't agree with that
Quote:
I guess you’re talking about the government teachers here only?
if you want private teachers too, then you can establish a central regulatory authority, which can give licenses to teachers, just like driving license, on fulfillment of a certain criteria.
[
Quote:
Hmm, why two of these subjects? Why are you placing a condition in terms of field of study? (just a question  )
for that you have to read potential and identity by Muhammad Bashir according to him a teacher is not a teacher till the time he does not know literature or history. what i am saying is that if for example there is a teacher of physics then he will need to do a masters in either history or literature to be eligible for the license.
Quote:
Hmm, if he/she is a language teacher, why wouldn’t he/ she write the essay in their respective language? What’s so special about this point?
Regarding language, another question came to my mind. In government schools, I think children from prep( if there is one) class till 5th grade have to study in Urdu as in math tables etc, everything and after that they are loaded upon with english language( and that too they have to ratify). So what would you say about that? (btw correct me if I am wrong but that’s what I’ve been told.)
i was only trying to make it easy for aspirants. it is anyways not fair that we have to write essay in English in CSS. by doing that you are sidelining the people who actually know the problems of this country. a person who has been educated in English medium schools, most probably comes from a middle class family. 60% of our population lives for less than $2 a day. they are the ones who live in the reality of this country and they can't come to CSS because of this stupid English essay. you are right regarding English taught after class 5 but for that we need to take a basic decision: English or regional languages? you can move on accordingly.
Quote:
Hmm, like in O’levels you have to study all the subjects till class 8 and then from class 9(and in some schools from class 8) you have to choose your subjects. But even in this case you can’t just sit for one exam. There must be 7 to 8 subjects and I feel this is reasonable. One must have basics atleast. Surely, one should study history, islamiyat, science, geography and all these subjects at this stage. The point you’re suggesting must be applied at a higher level such as A’level or at a university level not before that otherwise you’re unintentionally limiting the potential growth of a student which is not good.
have you ever heard about Nouman Ali Khan?

Quote:
Ummm, right. Btw how are you expecting to create homogeneity in the syllabus when it’ll be a provincial subject? Can you give me few examples in which the whole nation has actually stood together, yes apart from cricket against India? :p
Previously, education has been made a provincial subject right? I feel it’ll prove disastrous for the whole country few years down the road. So it should be made a Federal subject as soon as possible.
you are right.
Quote:
In germeny and japan students are not evaluated in studies until they are 7-8 years old
Really? Well that is quite interesting. 
Psychology says that the character and personality of a human being completes in the first six years of life. In those six years he should be in the care of the mother
Quote:
See at an individual level we can only fund the fees of children who cannot afford to go to schools. But I believe, financial aid is just not enough. The thing is what type of education are you giving? Does the Pakistani education system incorporate the critical thinking process? Moral values etc? The education system is in the hands of our policy makers and correct me if I am wrong, I feel bureaucrats can also bring reforms especially those assigned in the education sector. What do you think?
If the bureaucrats mend their ways we wouldn't be having this discussion

Aahsif is on a distinguished road

Quote:
well for this paragraph, will it not be good if I write it in this way?
"The objective of education is to produce responsible citizens , who can take a respectable position in the society and be economically sound enough to fulfill their needs and wants".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aahsif For This Useful Post:
javeriaa (Friday, August 15, 2014), waqas izhar (Tuesday, August 12, 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahsif View Post
well for this paragraph, will it not be good if I write it in this way?
"The objective of education is to produce responsible citizens , who can take a respectable position in the society and be economically sound enough to fulfill their needs and wants".
brother please define:
1. responsible citizen
2. respectable position in the society

regards