PAPER - I (Marks - 100)
- Formal and informal arguments: Elements of deductive reasoning; validity and truth: Proposition and syllogism.
- Definition with special reference to Aristotle, Ibn-e-Taimya's Criticism of Aristotle; Relativity of definition: Ambiguity; vagueness and emotive use of language as impediments in clear thinking: Fallacies - formal, material and linguistic
- Symbolic Logic: value of special symbols, symbols for conjunction, Negation, Disjunction and Implication, Method of Deduction: Formal proofs of validity, Rules of Replacement.
- The nature of scientific theory: Scientific method; Inquiry at common sense level and scientific level; Scientific explanation; The grounds of belief: induction, probability and functional analysis.
- Muslim contribution to Logic - inductive and deductive
PAPER - II (Marks -100)
PHILOSOPHY - WESTERN AND ISLAMIC
- Idealism, Pragmatism, Vitalism Logical Positivism, Existentialism and Dialectical Materialism: The main arguments of these Philosophical theories and their impact on life and morals.
- Muslim Rationalists and Social Thinkers-Al-Farabi, Ibn-i-Sina, Ibn-i-Rushd, and Ibn-i-Khaldun: their main doctrines.
- Schools of Muslim Theology - Mutazilism, Ash' arism, Sufism Al-Ghazali (his Ethics and Criticism of Muslim Rationalists)
- Muslim thought in South Asia with special reference to Shah Wali Ullah. Sayyid hmad Khan and Iqbal and Post-Iqbalian Thought.