Saturday, April 27, 2024
02:02 AM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > Punjab Public Service Commission > PCS / PMS > PMS Past Papers > PMS Papers 2005

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sunday, April 15, 2007
Royal Queen of Literature
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: AppreciationBest Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best ModGold Medal: Awarded to those members with  maximum number of  reputation points. - Issue reason: For the year 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011Member of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: 2008Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason: More than 5 years of dedicated servicesModerator: Ribbon awarded to moderators of the forum - Issue reason:

Thanked 15,848 Times in 5,006 Posts
Last Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardom
Default English Paper (PMS) 2005

PUNJAB PUBLIC SEVICE COMMISSION
COMBINED COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION (PMS) – 2005
PAPER: ENGLISH – I (SUBJECTIVE)
TIME ALLOWED: TWO HOURSMAXIMUM MARKS: 75

Q.1 Write an essay on One of the following topics (40)
a) Menace of human traffacking
b) Should higher education be provided for the selected few only?
c) The need and importance of tolerance and moderation in politics
d) Is modern civilization a failure?
e) The power and responsibility of the Press
f) Moral standards in international relations
g) This Land of the Pure

Q.2 Make a précis of the following passage in about 120 words and suggest a suitable title. (20)

“Teaching, more even than other professions, has been transformed during the last hundred years from a small, highly skilled profession concerned with a minority of the population, to a large and important branch of the public service. The profession has a great and honourable tradition, extending from the dawn of history until recent times, but any teacher in the modern world who allows himself to be inspired by the ideals of his predecessors is likely to be made sharply aware that it is not his function to teach what he thinks, but to instill such beliefs and prejudices as are thought useful by his employers. In former days a teacher was expected to be a man of exceptional knowledge or wisdom, to whose words men would do well to attend. In antiquity, teachers were not an organized profession, and no control was exercised over what they taught. It is true that they were often punished afterwards for their subversive doctrines. Socrates was put to death and Plato is said to have been thrown into prison, but such incidents did not interfere with the spread of their doctrines. Any man who has the genuine impulse of the teacher will be more anxious to survive in his books than in the flesh. A feeling of intellectual independence is essential to the proper fulfillment of the teacher’s function, since it is his business to instill what he can of knowledge and reasonable into the process of forming public opinion.

In our more highly organized world we face a new problem. Something called education is given to everybody, usually by the State. The teacher has thus become, in the vast majority of cases, a civil servant obliged to carry out the behests of men who have not his learning, who have no experience of dealing with the young and whose only attitude towards education is that of the propagandist.”

Q.3 Translate the passage given below into English. (15)

1861 main Sir Syed Ahmad Khan nay aik angraizi school Muradabad main qaim kia. Unhain is baat ka pura pura yaqeen ho gaya tha keh Hindustan kay Musalmaanon kay liye yeh zaroori hai keh wo apni mazhabi taaleem kay sath sath maghrabi uloom main bhi maharat hasil karain. Warna wo kisi soorat taraqi nahin ke saktay. Ahista ahista un ka yeh aqeeda pukhta hota gaya aur wo musalmaanon ki taleem kay mutaliq aur bhi shiddat say sochnay lagay. 1899 main aisa ittafaq hua keh government-e-hind nay Justice Mehmood (marhoom) ko inglistan bhej ker taaleem hasil kernay kay liye wazeefa dena manzoor kia. Sir Syed ki khaahish thi keh koi mauqa milay to inglistan ja ker apni aankhon say wahan ki darsgahon ka nizam dekhain. Chunan-cheh wo apnay farzand Mister Mehmood kay saath Inglistan gaye aur wahan ki darsgahon aur taaleemi nizam ka ba-ghor muta’ala kia. Chunan-cheh Inglistan main hi aap nay pukhta irada ker lia keh Hindustan main Musalmaanon ki khatir aik aisi university qain ki jaye jo kisi tarah bhi Oxford aur Cambridge say kum na ho. Hindustan wapas aa ker aap nay M. A. O. College ki bunyad rakhi jo ahista ahista university ki shakal ikhtiyar ker gaya.
Old Sunday, April 15, 2007
Royal Queen of Literature
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: AppreciationBest Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best ModGold Medal: Awarded to those members with  maximum number of  reputation points. - Issue reason: For the year 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011Member of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: 2008Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason: More than 5 years of dedicated servicesModerator: Ribbon awarded to moderators of the forum - Issue reason:

Thanked 15,848 Times in 5,006 Posts
Last Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardom

PUNJAB PUBLIC SEVICE COMMISSION
COMBINED COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION (PMS) – 2005
PAPER: ENGLISH – II (SUBJECTIVE)
TIME ALLOWED: TWO HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS: 75

Q.1 Fill in the blanks with appropriate prepositions in any FIVE of the following sentences. (10)
1.This news will make him buck ____ a bit.
2.The sea is gaining ____ the land.
3.The emergency called ____reserves of energy which she possessed.
4.His scheme seemed to have fizzled ____.
5.We must try to eke ____our supply until help comes.
6.He was fiddling ____with the car engine.
7.They egged him ____to fight those other boys.
8.Casualities in Iraq are now tapering ____

Q.2 Rewrite any FIVE of the following sentences after correcting the grammatical error. (15)

1.He bahaved cowardly.
2. The car needs painting badly and I must get it done.
3. Passing by the dilapidated house, a brick fell on my shoulder.
4.The vast extent of steppes of central Asia is enormous.
5. To be honest, lies must never be told.
6.They decide for starting on their journey.
7.I have reached only yesterday.
8. Having considered the high level of interests rates, depressed trading conditions are likely to prevail into next year.

Q.3 Construct sentences to distinguish between the meanings of any FIVE of the following pairs of words. (No credit will be given to single correct sentence. (10)

Apprise, Appraise
Ambiguous, Ambivalent
Corals, Chorals
Caret, Carat
Discrete, Discreet
Quartz. Quarts
Serge, Surge
Demean, Demented

Q4. Use nay FIVe of the following idiomatic expressions in sentences. (15)
(1) At a premium
(2) To call it a day
(3) The Loaves and Fishes
(4) Pecuniary Aid
(5) Pith and Marrow
(6) A Hard Shoulder
(7) Expose to Odium
(8) To have Butterflies in one’s stomach

Q.5 A woman is talking to her next door neighbour about an elderly married couple she knows and about their personalities. Using only adjectives, complete the blanks according to the explanations she gives either before or afterwards. (Vague words like ‘good’, etc will not be acceptable). (15)

“Well, yesterday I met old Mrs. Anwar, lovely old lady. She is always cheerful and helpful and everso ________ which is more than I can say about that husband of hers. He is so ________, shouting and complaining at the time. I have never known any one so ________. But he is really ________. I mean he never thinks about her or what she wants. He has got no feelings at all the ________ old Devil? They are just so different, if you tell her about your problem, she listens and tries to understand and gives u advice, you know very ________. And it’s only because of her that children have turned so polite and charming, such ________ young people. He just gave them discipline, like some ________ school master. Still, Mrs. Anwar keeps smiling and happy. I don’t think I’d be that ________ and married to him.”

Q.6 Do as directed (Attempt any FIVE sentences) (10)
(1) The mist having cleared, the plane took off. (Turn into a complex sentence using the subordinate conjunction).
(2) We carried the umbrellas thinking it might rain. (Rewrite the sentence using ‘Last’).
(3) Could someone tell me whether a cat has nine lives is a proverb. (Punctuate the sentence).
(4) I have been to the Hanging Gardens four times. I won’t mind going there again. (Combine the sentences using an appropriate connector).
(5) If I don’t supervise less work is done by them. (Rewrite the sentence using noun form of supervise).
(6) A person who is over scrupulous about small details. (Give single word for the phrase).
(7) He resented (be) asked (wait). (Put the verbs in brackets in correct forms).
(8) When they have widened this street, the roar of traffic will keep residents awake all night. (Change the voice).
Austere (Wednesday, June 06, 2012), farooq_haider22 (Sunday, November 18, 2007), Rashidkureshi (Wednesday, February 27, 2008)