Tuesday, May 21, 2024
01:36 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Muhammad Asjad is on a distinguished road
Default When Will We Get Out Of The TEXT BOOK

The main reason behind producing not sufficent scientists, Researchs, Programmers, Philosphers and successful professionals in the present era of pakistan is that we are not getting out of the text book. As 80% or more of the students of pakistan are affilated with different boards of Pakistan which have following black spots

1:- Only text book to prepare
2:- no concepts given only text to be read and learn
3:- papers from book only and no concept checking
As a result students do not have to search and no body even bothrs to clear his or her concepts. and teachers also do not try so.

If we specify a course and do not refer a particular book of that then what will happen that teachers will try their level best to clear out the concepts of students as then they will be able to clear the unseen papers

EDUCATION BOARDS SHLD TAKE THESE STEPS:
1:- specify course but no book should be given, teachers and students should search relative topics
2:- Un seen paperes means paper should be not from any specified book it should be made on pure concepts

FOR TEACHERS:-
avoid notes try to clear concepts and let students write themselves
Old Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: AppreciationDiligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Thanked 2,264 Times in 1,100 Posts
Muhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant future

Reference your post on the subject.

In this context I would like to state that the textbook system is followed at primary, middle, secondary and higher secondary levels of education in Pakistan. However, for higher education (after class 12) the text book system is not prevalent because of the fact that the students, at that level, get matured to search for the study materials according to the prescribed syllabi.

I understand your point of concern in the above post but have you checked whether textbook system is in vogue at school education level in advanced/developed countries? Certainly there would be some sort of system in highly advanced countries.

Well in my thinking textbook pattern is a necessity for our system of education because majority of students don’t have access even to normal textbooks and getting high sources of knowledge is an uncalled for dream for them.

Though there is no text book system in universities/degree awarding institutions, yet it is a miserable fact that books chambers in libraries often remain waiting for a bird’s eye view of students/learners.

As per official statistics the literacy rate in Pakistan is around 55% but this is not the true picture and we have yet to achieve good academic statistics, therefore, the textbook pattern should remain continue.

Nonetheless, if we need improvement in generation of knowledge and thinking pattern than assessment/practical work needs to be included in the text books.
Old Thursday, February 14, 2008
Perfectionist!!
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Best Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: 2011Moderator: Ribbon awarded to moderators of the forum - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,345 Times in 584 Posts
marwatone is a splendid one to beholdmarwatone is a splendid one to beholdmarwatone is a splendid one to beholdmarwatone is a splendid one to beholdmarwatone is a splendid one to beholdmarwatone is a splendid one to beholdmarwatone is a splendid one to behold

I think text book system should be removed.

Of coarse in the United States we have text books for every class in our college but we don't stick with these books. Books are just formality or for reading just like we do reading in libraries. We write our own stuff in every class. Our teacher gives us a topic and we writes our views on that topic. But when I was in college in Pakistan, our teachers used to advise us study guides to read the answers of the questions that are at the end of every chapter for our exams, and I think this is a plagiarism, because you know we are using someone's else material with the label of our own.

Here, I mean in the US, your teacher will tell you in the very beginning of the semester that, "If you did plagiarism, it will not be tolerated and you will be given "0" in your finals." So, you can't even think about that but in Pakistan we are doing this "Kullam Kulla."

In Philosophy class we didn't had book. Our teacher used to give us a "reflective writing" everyday. And when our semester ended she gave us all our writings in a shape of a beautiful book. She told us that" I didn't used book for you because, I thought you should write one book of Philosophy on your own."

So, I think there should not be books in the schools and students should write notes on their own. In that way everyone would have different material
and by doing this their writing skills will be much much improved and I think after so much practice from the prep to college,the essay paper of CSS will be a piece of cake for everyone.

azix_zee is on a distinguished road
Default Shoud be confident abt our teachers!!!

Though I agree to your question but can't agree with your suggestions. I think following steps should be taken in this regard:
1). Abolition of all Borads. This will mean that the teacher who teaches you will assess your performance, means evaluate you. It means, also, that the examinations should be held internally. I, being a teacher, will be able to teach what I want to teach and will evaluate the students accordingly. This will also make our teacher more dignified and worth of respect becuase the students will know then, that the result is in the hands of teacher. For this, we must have confidence in our teachers. Remember, this, the confidence in our teacher is of the prime importance.
2). The borads should specify only the course outline not the course. If the first point given is acted upon this point is though of little importance but should be done.
3). The notes, test papers & other cramming material should be out lawed. I think this will create creativity both in teacher & students.
4). The professionl colleges should admit their students through the present system of Entry Test.
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: AppreciationDiligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Muhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant future

MarwatOne, yes we write our own views on a specific topic in class. However, in terms of meaning, usage of study guides/guide books is not related to the usage of text books.
  • Text books are devised by Text Book Boards under instructions/guidelines from Boards of Intermediate & Secondary Education/Inter Board Committee of Chairmen (IBCC)-a subsidiary of Ministry of Education, Government of Pakistan.
  • The guide books/study guides, on the other hand, are usually devised and published by independent publishers, who collect data from different sources. This, certainly, falls under the ambit of ‘plagiarism.’

The environment in USA is entirely different from the environment of our country. If a specific course of procedure is successfully operational in a country/environment, it does not guarantee for its equal success in other countries/environments.

Certainly we must adopt a system, which will guarantee the generation/creation of knowledge alongwith transferring/imparting of knowledge. The Higher Education Commission has taken steps against plagiarism and one can find the data at : http://www.hec.gov.pk/new/QualityAss...Plagiarism.htm . However, the HEC is making steps at higher education level (beyond class 12/intermediate).

Axis Zee, the abolition of all Boards is not the solution of any problem. It is always better to make betterment in the system instead of completely changing the system. Being human, there remains an element of biasness when a teacher himself assesses/evaluates the students whole performance. In semester system the mechanism of internal evaluation by the teacher is being practiced and teachers’ evaluation is given weightage in final CGPA.

Yes, confidence in our teachers is of prime importance but there must be external assessment of papers/answer sheets. This will imbibe an element of adaptability in the minds of students.

The textbooks provide an equal opportunity of learning for students at Loralai to Quetta and from Lodhran to Lahore and from Thatha to Karachi so we must not have planning to eradicate the system of text books, however, there is room of improvement in the system and steps can and should be initiated for improvement.

Muhammad Asjad is on a distinguished road

Thanks 4 giving such valuable views. Now for Tabassum i'll say that u said text book is up to the intermediate level but i want to aware u that this system is upto the graduation levels or in many casses upto the masterous level as well. have a look at Bsc level we used to study one book for each subject and paper used to come from that and we know there was one question which we use to call unseen question we never attempted that and teachers used to say u had to attempt 80 numbers paper of mechanics.
Another thing is that we want to create the habbit of research from beginning not at the end of the life. Not from matric but from there ownwords we should not use text book. i will love teachers saying
" I didn't used book for you because, I thought you should write one book of Philosophy on your own."

Giving the best education is our Government and HEC's duty. Why education system of Americans can not be followed here as it is working in almost all european countries. we can follow there traditions but not education.

Allowing teachers to examine students is not a good idea because if u clear students concepts then ur student can clear every test by anyone.

There are no charges to go into the liberaries and concern books. Rather stopping everybody from research we should make steps 4 the poors to reach to the liberaries and read books. And a computer systems should be created in every college and universtiy so that students can enjoy the facility of interent free of cost. This is out right
Perfectionist!!
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Best Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: 2011Moderator: Ribbon awarded to moderators of the forum - Issue reason:

marwatone is a splendid one to beholdmarwatone is a splendid one to beholdmarwatone is a splendid one to beholdmarwatone is a splendid one to beholdmarwatone is a splendid one to beholdmarwatone is a splendid one to beholdmarwatone is a splendid one to behold

@Tabassum Shabbir Awan (My respectable senior member).

I guess you live in Islamabad,right. That's why you wrote your views on a paper in school and every student will do that in forward cities of our country like Islamabad,Lahore,Karachi etc. But I am talking about the cities which are backward and in which no one can even think about their own writings. I was talking about to take these steps in every city, every town and every village of Pakistan.

Quote:
However, in terms of meaning, usage of study guides/guide books is not related to the usage of text books.
It is made related to the text books in most of the schools. When we went to college, our teacher was telling about the books that we were going to study in the class. She told us 2 or 3 books and we asked, are we going to study all these books in class? The teacher answered "no", some are your study guides.When you are told about the study guides from very first day of your college, I think that it is related to books then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabassum Shabbir Awan
In this context I would like to state that the textbook system is followed at primary, middle, secondary and higher secondary levels of education in Pakistan. However, for higher education (after class 12) the text book system is not prevalent
May be you didn't used books in classes after 12, but I used books in class FSC and also saw our college people of higher classes than me(BSC) using text books and study guides.

@Muhammad Asjad(My junior member)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhammad Asjad
Why education system of Americans can not be followed here as it is working in almost all european countries. we can follow there traditions but not education.
Ver nice.I am 100% agree with you and I was going to say the same thing.
Old Friday, February 15, 2008

MashALLAH good views by the fellow members… ..

@ Muhammad Asjad

Brother please have a look at my previous email, there is difference between text books and guide books.

The universities/degree awarding institutions publish course contents/syllabi and specify reference books which can be used by the teachers and students. This is the same as FPSC is doing for CSS examination.

No there is no text book at Bachelors/Masters’ level, what we study in universities are books published by various publishers like Darsi Kutub Khana, Caravan, Dogars etc. These publishers gather information from different sources as prescribed in the syllabi (as rightly quoted by MarwatOne it is plagiarism).

Yes we must create habit of research from beginning. You may recall what I suggested in very first post, “Nonetheless, if we need improvement in generation of knowledge and thinking pattern than assessment/practical work needs to be included in the text books.”

No brother the American education system is not followed in almost all European countries. There are variations from country to country. Higher School Diploma in America is equal to Intermediate but is granted after study of 12-year schooling whereas ‘A’ level in UK requires 13-year schooling and so one.

You may see systems of education at http://www.unesco.org/iau/onlinedatabases/index.html and http://portal.unesco.org/education/e...CTION=201.html

Brother you said;

Originally Posted by Muhammad Asjad
we can follow there traditions but not education.

It may be pertinent to mention that Pakistan inherited system of education followed during pre-partition period. The system was certainly devised by the UK so we are following a system devised by them. A system prevalent in a particular society cannot be fully adopted in other societies, therefore, there were some variations of system of Pakistan and UK at that time.

Yes Government has taken many steps for making our education levels at par with the developed nations.

@ Marwatone; yes brother I live in Islamabad.

“That's why you wrote your views on a paper in school and every student will do that in forward cities of our country like Islamabad,Lahore,Karachi etc. But I am talking about the cities which are backward and in which no one can even think about their own writings. I was talking about to take these steps in every city, every town and every village of Pakistan.”

Brother I am also referring to the students living in far flung areas of the country and I bet that they cannot even afford textbooks which are published by Textbook Boards (Government body) and sold on very less rates as compared to reference books. We must bring changes but the suggestions you people are given can suit to the environment of Islamabad, Lahore and Karachi but cannot be adopted in far flung areas and there lives the majority. We should think for our brethren living in those areas…..

Yes we should give confidence to teachers. But unfortunately the teachers’ quality is not good. A person who cannot find any job get CT/PTC certificates and become a teacher and it’s a miserable fact that most of our rural areas are either devoid of teachers or the available teachers are of worst quality.

In my thinking if we have to make a prosper Pakistan, our teachers and parents should be the best…. Yes we must start education from grass root level and that level is our homes. Our mothers are our first teachers….

I fully agree to the context that there should not be test papers/guide books but please don’t mix/relate it with text books… Text book is a different thing and it should remain intact because it provides an equal opportunity of learning for students at Loralai to Quetta and from Lodhran to Lahore and from Thatha to Karachi and relatively at cheaper rates, the rates which can be afforded by our majority. And please be noted that majority of our population is poor…..
Perfectionist!!

HI

Quote:
Brother I am also referring to the students living in far flung areas of the country and I bet that they cannot even afford textbooks which are published by Textbook Boards.
I said that there should not be textbooks allowed and if there will be no books so why they will pay??

Quote:
I fully agree to the context that there should not be test papers/guide books but please don’t mix/relate it with text books…
I am not relating text books to guide books as I told you before, our teachers were doing this and in our tests our teachers used to look for the same stuff from the guide books.
Super Moderator
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2010Moderator: Ribbon awarded to moderators of the forum - Issue reason: Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Zirwaan Khan is a glorious beacon of lightZirwaan Khan is a glorious beacon of lightZirwaan Khan is a glorious beacon of lightZirwaan Khan is a glorious beacon of lightZirwaan Khan is a glorious beacon of light

@marwat

I do not agree with you in respect that CSS Essay paper would be a piece of cake for those who study in USA or Britain. Let me tell you that there were candidates who flunked this paper ,though they studied from there and were living in fool's paradise that they would score better than any other candidate living in Pakistan , thus blinking the fact that Essay is a hard nut to crack , . I know a person who flunked his first attempt because he had the same baseless concept, sooner he realized ,when he didn't get through his first attempt , and started paying heed to it. He got 7 or 6 position , i do not remember exactly, in his second attempt in 2006. The system followed by you people may help you in quick brainstorming and creating new ideas etc etc. But not making the paper a Piece of cake.

Last edited by Zirwaan Khan; Friday, February 15, 2008 at 01:09 PM.