Monday, May 13, 2024
04:40 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Thursday, January 29, 2009

Zeeshan Inayat is on a distinguished road
Question What Is A Nation?

Respected Members, How would you discribe the word nation, what is the true definition of a nation?
Old Sunday, February 01, 2009

Astute Accountant has a spectacular aura aboutAstute Accountant has a spectacular aura about

A nation is a historically constituted, stable community of people, formed on the basis of a common language, territory, economic life, and psychological make-up manifested in a common culture.
Old Monday, February 02, 2009

Default Are we a single nation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute Accountant
A nation is a historically constituted, stable community of people, formed on the basis of a common language, territory, economic life, and psychological make-up manifested in a common culture.
If it is so then question arises are we a single nation (Pakistanis); there is another question that "are Muslims an umma or a nation "- though there doesn't exist either-
Old Monday, February 02, 2009

arsa will become famous soon enough

@Zeeshan Inayat
if ve see the muslims through the historical, cultural and religious prospective then we came to knw that muslims r 1 nation bt it is true that in pakistan ve as pakistani nation divided in many parts bt as a muslim we were 1 nation we are and we will be
Zeeshan Inayat (Thursday, February 05, 2009)
Old Tuesday, February 03, 2009
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2009 - Roll no 6141. CE 2011 - Roll no 1073PMS / PCS Award: Serving PMS / PCS (BS 17) officers are eligible only. - Issue reason: 2011 - Merit No. 98

Emotions will become famous soon enough
Default @Zeeshan

-- Politically Organised Nationality

-- People living in an organised society with common aim or objective

-- A community of people composed of one or more nationalities with its own territory and government

-- A federation of tribes also termed as a Nation
The Following User Says Thank You to Emotions For This Useful Post:
Banned

Faraz_1984 is infamous around these parts

What make a nation?

• Geographical Position

• Culture

• Language

we have discuss some how nation here go through from it it would give u some bit idea

http://www.cssforum.com.pk/general/d...we-failed.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Faraz_1984 For This Useful Post:

kifayat hussain is on a distinguished road
Default "true definition of nation"

This "true definition" came from where? I'm sure that you have a valid source for your definition of this word but it seems that the one used is a word definition and xenophobia is a physiological and should be defined by a psychology dictionary.

"A fear or contempt of that which is foreign or unknown, especially of strangers or foreign people.It comes from the Greek words ξένος (xenos), meaning "foreigner," "stranger," and φόβος (phobos), meaning "fear." The term is typically used to describe a fear or dislike of foreigners or of people significantly different from oneself.
As with all phobias, a xenophobic person is aware of the fear, and therefore has to genuinely think or believe at some level that the target is in fact a foreigner. This arguably separates xenophobia from racism and ordinary prejudice in that someone of a different race does not necessarily have to be of a different nationality. In various contexts, the terms "xenophobia" and "racism" seem to be used interchangeably, though they can have wholly different meanings (xenophobia can be based on various aspects, racism being based solely on race and ancestry).
For xenophobia there are two main objects of the phobia. The first is a population group present within a society that is not considered part of that society. Often they are recent immigrants, but xenophobia may be directed against a group which has been present for centuries. This form of xenophobia can elicit or facilitate hostile and violent reactions, such as mass expulsion of immigrants, or in the worst case, genocide.
The second form of xenophobia is primarily cultural, and the objects of the phobia are cultural elements which are considered alien. All cultures are subject to external influences, but cultural xenophobia is often narrowly directed, for instance at foreign loan words in a national language. It rarely leads to aggression against individual persons, but can result in political campaigns for cultural or linguistic purification. Isolationism, a general aversion of foreign affairs, is not accurately described as xenophobia."
saby (Tuesday, February 03, 2009), Zeeshan Inayat (Thursday, February 05, 2009)

Astute Accountant has a spectacular aura aboutAstute Accountant has a spectacular aura about

@ kifayat

This true definition has come from "Katrina Z. S. Schwartz, University of Florida"
Old Thursday, February 05, 2009

Post Do the modern concept of nationalism match with the muslim concept of Ummah?

Thanks to all of you who replied to my question.
Nationalism is a modern concept describing a particular group of people living in an area- or may be in different areas but with some common ties that bound them to one another - nationalism is the next stage of tribalism. Actually I am not concerned to this that what is nationalism but to that "how can it be contrasted to our muslim concept of Ummah?" I think that Ummah is something more broad vision than nationalism, it bounds to gather a vast majority of people- many nations-. So why did we abandoned this and turned to nationalism- Arab nationalism, Percian nationalism etc. And that I don't think so that we (muslims) are a nation/ummah.