Friday, April 26, 2024
03:25 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Saturday, February 20, 2010

tayyaba is on a distinguished road
Default ngos and women

nowadays a large no ngos are working in pakistan .their no is increasing day by day.my question is that "working in ngo's suitable for women"?also specially in present security situation in our country?
i have heard from some sources that the envoirnment is not suitable for women.
i will appreciate and welcome ur views in this regard.specially anyone who has worked in an ngo.plz share ur experience.this discussion will help a lot of people.
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Sociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to all

NGOs are of various types !
International, National, Local and then depending upon their area of interest, e.g. human rights, education. health, social welfare and then we can also classify them according to the source of their fundings. I am not sure which NGOs are you refering in your post. Plz be specific.
And there is no harm in working in an NGO with good reputation where respect and security of female staff is ensured by the management.

ok lets be specific "international ngos".
there r lot of working nowadays.eg. ICRC, IRC etc. etc.
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Sociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to all

OK, working in them is ok in Islamabad, Lahore and Karachi, but in NWFP and Quetta, one should be carefull for security reasons.
Allaha sub ki Hifazat karay.

but again my question is that women should consider these jobs or they shouldn't.as is the case with law .law is also a highly male dominating field.i want to discuss this issues bcoz a large no of women just dont prefer to work in ngos .instead they prefer to join some educational institute.
Old Sunday, February 21, 2010

Job market is open and it depends upon you which job u like.
As far law, it does not favour men. Now women have full protection against work place harrasment, if they complaint. Some NGOs prefer women as they are working in the field of family planning, women rights, child welfare and adult education.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sociologist PU For This Useful Post:
tayyaba (Sunday, February 21, 2010)
Old Sunday, February 21, 2010

which peshawar based ngos are good reputed?and what kind of job positions will be more suitable for women?
Old Monday, February 22, 2010

Bright is on a distinguished road
Default post reply

well i myself worked with an NGO but here i'll not mentioned its name. its not only really an NGO for women but ........................... which can't be defined i\ve personally experienced in that NGO where i have serve only 1 & half month, but my experience only God save me from them. they not only treat a female in terms of looking but more than this upto sexual herrisment, which i don't want to mentioned, i put this thought into the bog, but now i have read about comments on NGOs. now u ppl can guess. i'll never submitt further comments nor reply against that things. sorry don't ask for reply.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bright For This Useful Post:
tayyaba (Monday, February 22, 2010)

leaderisb is on a distinguished road

Basically your question is related to the DEVELOPMENT Sector.
All NGOs are the part of Development Sector.

Lets me comment specifically on your point, that whether the environment of an NGO fits for a Women or otherwise.

Most of the NGOs are working in areas related to;

Gender & Poverty
Violence, harassment, discrimination and Women
Emotional Counseling
Child Issues
Crimes against women and girls

These are the few of the topics where most of the NGOs are playing their role.

Nature of their working: They have to generate reports on periodic basis and on the basis of these reports they get more funds for their smooth working.

Keep this background in mind and now I try address your question.

1. Working topics are too bold and open. You have to talk on many topics which mostly are not suitable for public debate. Like the cases of rape. Now when you are in a debate with a male that why and how this rape happened etc, then think the level of frankness after having this debate between you both. This is just an example, likewise there are many related topics.

2. When you will be keep on working on such thing, issues of morality must suffer in long run.

3. Mostly NGOs are paying higher salaries and in the attraction of those salaries no one want to leave the job and in most of the cases they ignore such issues or tolerate them for the sake of money. You may name it exploitation.

4. Then the class working in this area is also specific in most cases. For them these issues are not the issues.

In these circumstances one has to care at own to protect one's self from such things.

I can give you hundreds of example those I have seen my self not the stories heard from others.

One more thing both parties are equal you can blame one. None of them innocent. Yes some suffers due to others.

Hopefully in decent words your question is addressed.
The Following User Says Thank You to leaderisb For This Useful Post:
tayyaba (Monday, February 22, 2010)

@leaderisb
thanx for the detailed reply.
such issues should be discussed so that anyone entering or joining any field should know a little bit about the envoirnment especially for women.
@bright
thank you for sharing ur experience.

anyone who wants to share their experience good/bad regarding "ngos and women" are most wellcome.it will help a lot of people.