Tuesday, May 07, 2024
01:15 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Friday, March 26, 2010

sassi sehar is on a distinguished road
Default no comments on nawaz sharif's actions

plz do discuss wat nawaz sharif did yesterday with 18th amendment
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

The Star has a spectacular aura aboutThe Star has a spectacular aura aboutThe Star has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassi sehar View Post
plz do discuss wat nawaz sharif did yesterday with 18th amendment
I do not think Mian Muhammad Nawaz Sharif has done anything improper to 18th amendment.His party has some reservations over the proposals,especially over new name of nwfp and appointment of judges.Infact i believe this is very essence of the democracy that he listned to party delegates from NWFP who have reservations over renaming nwfp.As for as his stance over the procedure of judges appointment is concerned-this issue should be resolved for once and all.I think he is right in saying that no single personality should have the authority to appoint the judges.This power should be shared.To get the constitution amended is not a big achievement but to get it amended rightly and with the consent of all sections will be a big achievement.these proposals have been delayed not killed.government should take shrif's proposals into consideration and come forward with better plan
rose_pak (Saturday, March 27, 2010)

AUDACIOUS is on a distinguished road

@ Participants of this thread.

Actually the problem is that, not only nawaz shareef have some concerns over the issue of appointment of judges and on the name of NWFP rather the real power behind this delay is our Army. Army doesn't want all the powers to be delivered to Prime Minister. In fact they want some powers to be shared between the President and the Prime Minister equally to have some balance. But here the scenario was changed. Why Nawaz shareef would resist such a change when he knows that he is the next prime minister. The real power behind this delay is Army who have pressurized PML-N through chaudhry Nisar to withdraw from this constitutional amendment or face some dire consequences. Nawaz Shareef doesn't want army to take any stern action against democratic system. He knows very well that this time he wouldn't get any chance to come back in Pakistani Politics if he not considers the directions and concerns of army in the Political streamline.

zaheer baloch will become famous soon enough

Actually PML-N doesn't want the Concurrent list to be removed, and they abhor the principle of provincial autonomy. Thats why they have sabotaged the whole process. They only want what suits them which is not good.

navera88 is on a distinguished road

Nawaz Sharif is playing Judiciary Card.
Old Saturday, March 27, 2010
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,807 Times in 836 Posts
Call for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud of
Default Stance of Nawaz Sharif

I think satnce of Nawaz Sharif is right. This step should be taken with the consent of all parties. If he has concerns the government should satisfy him and other stake holders.
40th CTP (IRS)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 176Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

rose_pak is a jewel in the roughrose_pak is a jewel in the roughrose_pak is a jewel in the roughrose_pak is a jewel in the rough
Smile Nawaz's stance on 18th amendment

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDACIOUS View Post
@ Participants of this thread.

Actually the problem is that, not only nawaz shareef have some concerns over the issue of appointment of judges and on the name of NWFP rather the real power behind this delay is our Army. Army doesn't want all the powers to be delivered to Prime Minister. In fact they want some powers to be shared between the President and the Prime Minister equally to have some balance. But here the scenario was changed. Why Nawaz shareef would resist such a change when he knows that he is the next prime minister. The real power behind this delay is Army who have pressurized PML-N through chaudhry Nisar to withdraw from this constitutional amendment or face some dire consequences. Nawaz Shareef doesn't want army to take any stern action against democratic system. He knows very well that this time he wouldn't get any chance to come back in Pakistani Politics if he not considers the directions and concerns of army in the Political streamline.
If we see there are three big problems may be in mind of Nawaz Sharif:

1. Renaming NWFP

Nawaz's stance on renaming is good as "Pakhtoonkha" donates to Pakhtoon people only. He has given two suggestion "Abbasin" and "Afghania". The first name "Abbaseen" would create the same problem as it would not be acceptable to Pakhtoons of the area. However his second suggestion about "Afghania" looks nice as all tribes and populace of the area being covered in this name and secondly it is the name recomended by Ch Rehmat Ali.

2. Judiciary Appointments

I don't think there should be something more then the commission announced as the commission has 7 members. If we take Nawaz's stance that "Judiciary member of commission should be more then governmental." If we see the commission it goes like that:

1. Chief Justice
2. Sitting Judge of SC
3. Sitting Judge of SC
4. Retired Judge of SC
5. Advocate appointed by PBC
6. Minister of Law
7. Attorney General

In this commission first 5 members looks like the power of judiciary. If we think that Advocate can be used by government even then 4 members are from judiciary. So this stance of Nawaz looks like only creating hurdle in the amendment and to be in the good accounts of judiciary.

3. Power of President or PM

In the proposed amendments 58 (2) b is going to be omitted and president can only dissolve assembly on the advice of PM. No doubt there could be army factor as well. But we need to decide how much democracy we want. Imagine if government is elected and then they start corruption and all the evils which are against their mandate. So in this condition what would be done. The Populace would see towards president to dissolve that very incompetent assembly but president would see towards PM to advice to dissolve the his own assembly.

I think the issue of "Power to dissolve assembly" should neither be given as it is proposed in new amendment nor given to president totally. I think there should be a commission for that purpose. They commission may be like:

1. President
2. PM
3. Speaker NA
4. Chairman Senate
5. Chief Justice
6. 3 members from Government
7. 3 members from Opposition

Neither giving power to "Dissolve" elected assemblies to one person nor to the person who would lose in case of dissolution would solve the issue. In this issue Nawaz's stance should be much in favour of commission rather then president or PM. The issue should be taken in the best interests of Pakistan not the ruling parties.
The Following User Says Thank You to rose_pak For This Useful Post:
S_Ranjha (Saturday, March 27, 2010)
38th CTP (CEG)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2009 - Merit 50

S_Ranjha will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose_pak View Post
If we see there are three big problems may be in mind of Nawaz Sharif:

1. Renaming NWFP

Nawaz's stance on renaming is good as "Pakhtoonkha" donates to Pakhtoon people only. He has given two suggestion "Abbasin" and "Afghania". The first name "Abbaseen" would create the same problem as it would not be acceptable to Pakhtoons of the area. However his second suggestion about "Afghania" looks nice as all tribes and populace of the area being covered in this name and secondly it is the name recomended by Ch Rehmat Ali.
Here i guess prob for Nawaz is just that if named Pukhtunkhwa, it doesnt include the wishes of Hazara people n Nawaz has to listen to them(the only strong vote bank of PML N in NWFP) else personally i dun c he has any prob wid any name votsoeva

Quote:

2. Judiciary Appointments

I don't think there should be something more then the commission announced as the commission has 7 members. If we take Nawaz's stance that "Judiciary member of commission should be more then governmental." If we see the commission it goes like that:

1. Chief Justice
2. Sitting Judge of SC
3. Sitting Judge of SC
4. Retired Judge of SC
5. Advocate appointed by PBC
6. Minister of Law
7. Attorney General

In this commission first 5 members looks like the power of judiciary. If we think that Advocate can be used by government even then 4 members are from judiciary. So this stance of Nawaz looks like only creating hurdle in the amendment and to be in the good accounts of judiciary.
I guess the composition of Commission is a fair one n i really dun c y anyone ll have a prob with that.

Quote:
3. Power of President or PM

In the proposed amendments 58 (2) b is going to be omitted and president can only dissolve assembly on the advice of PM. No doubt there could be army factor as well. But we need to decide how much democracy we want. Imagine if government is elected and then they start corruption and all the evils which are against their mandate. So in this condition what would be done. The Populace would see towards president to dissolve that very incompetent assembly but president would see towards PM to advice to dissolve the his own assembly.

I think the issue of "Power to dissolve assembly" should neither be given as it is proposed in new amendment nor given to president totally. I think there should be a commission for that purpose. They commission may be like:

1. President
2. PM
3. Speaker NA
4. Chairman Senate
5. Chief Justice
6. 3 members from Government
7. 3 members from Opposition

Neither giving power to "Dissolve" elected assemblies to one person nor to the person who would lose in case of dissolution would solve the issue. In this issue Nawaz's stance should be much in favour of commission rather then president or PM. The issue should be taken in the best interests of Pakistan not the ruling parties.
Nice suggestion but i would like to see one more member here form Arm forces. Although in a democratic setup it doesn't have any place but considering the ground realities where our democrats r always afraid of any Army intervention. So if it has to be then y dun accept it as a reality till such times it is and let give Army a legalized say in imp affairs of country

You were not born a winner, and you were not born a loser. You are what you make yourself be.
The Following User Says Thank You to S_Ranjha For This Useful Post:
rose_pak (Saturday, March 27, 2010)
40th CTP (IRS)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 176Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

rose_pak is a jewel in the roughrose_pak is a jewel in the roughrose_pak is a jewel in the roughrose_pak is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Ranjha View Post
Here i guess prob for Nawaz is just that if named Pukhtunkhwa, it doesnt include the wishes of Hazara people n Nawaz has to listen to them(the only strong vote bank of PML N in NWFP) else personally i dun c he has any prob wid any name votsoeva

Yes the vote bank is the only problem. If any faction of populace is disturbed the vote bank of ANP and PML N would be lost. So both parties are trying for their vote bank.

I guess the composition of Commission is a fair one n i really dun c y anyone ll have a prob with that.

Yes I think so. The judiciary is already have upper hand.

Nice suggestion but i would like to see one more member here form Arm forces. Although in a democratic setup it doesn't have any place but considering the ground realities where our democrats r always afraid of any Army intervention. So if it has to be then y dun accept it as a reality till such times it is and let give Army a legalized say in imp affairs of country
You are right our politicians always have fear of military intervention. But it would be a joke with democracy to include army in the setup however, as you said, keeping the ground realities in view army chief may be added to the setup. But the power must neither be with president nor PM only.

Saleeqa Batool is a splendid one to beholdSaleeqa Batool is a splendid one to beholdSaleeqa Batool is a splendid one to beholdSaleeqa Batool is a splendid one to beholdSaleeqa Batool is a splendid one to beholdSaleeqa Batool is a splendid one to beholdSaleeqa Batool is a splendid one to behold

Mian Sb's Press confernce has triggered disappointment amongst political circles.The issue of judicial appoinmets was settled previously and PML (N) leadership had publically expressed thier assent to the procedure stipulated by parlimentary commettee.It must be remembered that the much trimuphed Charter of Democracy enumerates a procedure for juddges appointments.In spite of being its signatory ,PML deviated from this settled stance and the procedure was keeping in view the in put from PML.Later On PML again xganged its stance and proposed that a retired judge must be included in the judicial comssion.This proposal was again approved by the committee. Reportedly, PML Members expressed their willingness but again, surprisingly , Mian sb withdrew his assent to the procedure reached by all political forces in the parliament.

What has lead Mian Sb to pursue this politically unwise course? It is judiciary, rather I should say it is CJP who wants exclusive authority in all judicial matters.Mian sb has his own woes. First his cases that were withdrawn by General Pervaiz Mushraf in 2000 and Mian Sb and his family was allowed to leave for Jeddah(this arrangement is not different from NRO).Now NAB has requested to reopen these cases(Air craft conspiracy case,Money laundering case,Huddabia Paper Mill Case) however independent judiciary does not seems to be in the mood of creating any rift with Mian Sb.

Second , Mian Sb and current judicial leadership enjoys good relations.Justice Khlail Ul Rehman Rumday ,a close friend of CJP who has been appointed Adhoc Judge recently is brother of PML(N) leader Mian Assad Ur Rehman.(Few months back ,MCB bank has ceased the jobs of almost 1000 employees who had completed around 25 years of service.these employees knocked the door of courts but the honor of the bank had made prior arrangments to face this move and he remained suuceessful in taking the required verdict.)

Mian Sbs insistence on taking the CJP in to loop by the parliament is negation of parliamentary supremacy. Lawmaking is sole prerogative to the parliament that can not be interfered by any other institution.Yes, the judicray is vested with the power of Judicial Review but it can annul the law only if it stands against the fundmental structure of the constitution.I think this is the reason that the Parlimantary committee has outrightly and unanimously rejected PML(N) demand and expressed its displeasure over this move.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saleeqa Batool For This Useful Post:
Andrew Dufresne (Saturday, March 27, 2010), rose_pak (Saturday, March 27, 2010), S_Ranjha (Saturday, March 27, 2010)