Sunday, May 05, 2024
10:13 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Friday, May 11, 2012

Lodhi Bhai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukarrum View Post
Please let me know what is job status of a banker in Islam? Because recently I was offered a bank job, but i am confused should i go for it or not? I heard from some persons that if you have an alternate then you should not opt it.
Seniors are requested to answer my query in light of Islam.

Thanks.
Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible to work in a riba-based bank because that is cooperating in sin and transgression, and Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Help you one another in Al‑Birr and At‑Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression. And fear Allaah. Verily, Allaah is Severe in punishment”

[al-Maa’idah 5:2]

And it is narrated that the one who helps with riba by writing it down or witnessing it is cursed, as it says in the hadeeth narrated by Muslim (1598) from Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who consumes riba and the one who pays it, the one who writes it down and the two who witness it, and he said: they are all the same.

The scholars have clearly stated that it is haraam to work in these banks even as a guard or cleaner or servant. It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (15/41): It is not permissible for a Muslim to work in a bank that deals with riba, even if the work that this Muslim does is not riba-related, because he is giving the employees who do deal with riba things that they need and that will help them with their riba-related work, and Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“… but do not help one another in sin and transgression”

‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz, ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ghadyaan, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Qa’ood.

The Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas was also asked: What is the ruling on working in existing banks?

They replied:

Most bank transactions nowadays involve riba, which is haraam according to the Qur’aan, Sunnah and consensus of the ummah. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) ruled that the one who helps the one who consumes riba and the one who pays it by writing it down or witnessing it and so on are partners with the one who consumes it and the one who pays it, and they have a share of the curse and being excluded from the mercy of Allaah. In Saheeh Muslim and elsewhere it is narrated from the hadeeth of Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who consumes riba and the one who pays it, the one who writes it down and the two who witness it, and he said: they are all the same.

Those who work in banks are helping the bank owners in administration of their work, by writing it down, recording, witnessing, transferring papers or handing out or receiving cash and other ways of helping those who deal with riba. Thus it is known that working in existing banks is haraam, and the Muslim must avoid that, and he should seek to earn a living in ways that Allaah has permitted, of which there are many. He should fear Allaah and not expose himself to the curse of Allaah and His Messenger. End quote.

‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz, ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ghadyaan, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Qa’ood.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (15/38)

They were also asked (15/55):

(a) Is working in banks, especially in Islamic states, halaal or haraam?

(b) Are there any specific sections in the bank that are halaal, as some people say nowadays, and how is that if that is correct?

They replied:

Firstly: working in banks that deal with riba is haraam, whether in an Islamic country or a kaafir country, because it is helping in sin and transgression which Allaah forbade when He said:

“Help you one another in Al‑Birr and At‑Taqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression. And fear Allaah. Verily, Allaah is Severe in punishment”

Secondly: There are no sections in riba-based banks concerning which Islam makes an exception as far as we can see, because cooperating in sin and transgression occurs in all bank jobs. End quote.

‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz, ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Qa’ood.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: Is it permissible to work in a riba-based company as a driver or guard?

He replied:

It is not permissible to work in riba-based companies even if one is a driver or guard, because his taking a job in a riba-based company implies that he approves of it, and because the one who denounces a thing cannot work in its interests. If he works in its interests then he approves of it, and the one who approves of something that is haraam will have a share of its sin. But if he is directly involved in recording and writing and sending and depositing and so on, then he is undoubtedly involved in something haraam. It is proven in the hadeeth of Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who consumes riba and the one who pays it, the one who writes it down and the two who witness it, and he said: they are all the same.

End quote from Fataawa Islamiyyah (2/401).

Saudi Arabia
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lodhi Bhai For This Useful Post:
Asif3531 (Friday, May 25, 2012), Hamidullah Gul (Tuesday, May 22, 2012), IrfanShahid (Thursday, May 17, 2012), Mukarrum (Friday, May 11, 2012), usman khalid (Wednesday, May 23, 2012)
Old Tuesday, May 22, 2012

talalz3 will become famous soon enough

You guys think a bank job is haraam? Yes, maybe it is. But tell me, which institution does not earn money from interest. If you want halal job then please start your own business. If an engineer joins a company, even the company earns interest based on its investments. Nothing in today's world is interest free.
Old Wednesday, May 23, 2012

haroono is on a distinguished road
Mr mjkhan,
But at the same time Allah says, a person cannot be a true Muslim unless and untill Allah or us k rasool ki muhabbat use us k jaan-o-maal se ziada azeez na hojae. Now what do you mean by muhabbat? Its is agreeing to His orders and rules.
Aik or jaga ata hai k kufar ka muqabla karo or use khatm karo hatta k Allah ki zameen pe Allah ka nizam qaim ho jae.
At this very point the question that arises is should we bow down to the prevailing system or we should stand, stop or atleast curse (lowest ebb of one's faith) this malpractice.
Reference of the event of one's death is obsolete here because one who is illegible for a bank job is illegible for so many other jobs besides that of a bank.

Secondly, don't be at war with each other just for the sake of winning argumentation, for it will and it is creating confusion for juniors (including me)
It is, off course, yes it is very clear and simple to understand that banking job is Haram only if you give up waging cold war among yourselves again to make a win who situation...
Now, excess on money means sood/riba, that is what banks are doing, whether it be an Islamic or a non-islamic. All those who give and take interest (banks) and those who give them assistance(employees) in doing so, will bear hell fire. Very very clear!
Others, who are serving governmental jobs, do not fall in this criteria because they are not involved in direct association. They offer their services and labors to earn money, their intentions are never that of promoting interest, while those who work in banks, both types, are offering their services and labors intentionally and directly to inject this curse in the society.
Banks k hat paon nahi hote wo employees pe he chalta hai so . . .
Haram, Haram, Haram!

Last edited by Shooting Star; Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 01:09 AM. Reason: merged
40th CTP (DMG)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 22Elite CSP Medal: Members who previously received (CSP Award  and Member of the Year Award ) OR (CSP award + Gold Medal + Medal of Appreciation) are eligible for this award. - Issue reason: Member of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: 2012

Thanked 2,147 Times in 983 Posts
usman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant future

Islamic banks are supposed to follow practices based upon islamic shari'ah. They also have shari'ah advisors on their boards. Therefore, they may not necessarily come under the definition of riba. However, it is not recommended to pursue career in banking whether islamic or non-islamic because some islamic banks are also involved in non-shari'ah compliance practices. It is also recommended that a banker must keep searching for an alternative career.
The Following User Says Thank You to usman khalid For This Useful Post:
CHOUDHARY168 (Saturday, October 11, 2014)

Hasan Ahmad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkhan View Post
fatwa i heard on aalim on line once....esay departments jo directly sood(interest) k lain dain ma involve na hun r jaiz nd which r involved in direct lain dain r nt...
yes,i knw i m no one with no knwledge but still i dont understand the logic of this fatwa...i dont think it is based on sound logic
i think there is perfectly no harm in a bank job nd it is nt haram at all
take out banking system nd financial institutions frm PAK(or frm whole islamic world for that matter) nd it will collapse
then wt to do?hw shud we get rid of this interest cz after all it is haram...thats a long debate
there is another thread on the forum on which videos of dr. israr ahmad have also been uploaded nd according to him it is nt haram either...i dnt remember the title of the thread
Further to this controversial heading of this thread, I may not believe that having a job in the Bank is a not permissible, however, I also do not wish to disagree with Dr. Nasar's opinion in the video uploaded as he was well known and competent Islamic scholar. Therefore, I have adopted from this video that working in that particular department of a bank which is directly involved in issuing loans on interest to the people and recovery thereafter. We all are well aware with facts that a bank notably have different departments and all of them are assigned different tasks and it is well understandable that few of them do not have to deal with this un-Islamic matters, like interest.

In sum up, I think it is not haram to work in bank which deals with ur non haram matters.
Please make me correct, if I am mistaken or wrong due to lack of authentic knowledge.
Old Friday, May 25, 2012

haroono is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasan Ahmad View Post
Further to this controversial heading of this thread, I may not believe that having a job in the Bank is a not permissible, however, I also do not wish to disagree with Dr. Nasar's opinion in the video uploaded as he was well known and competent Islamic scholar. Therefore, I have adopted from this video that working in that particular department of a bank which is directly involved in issuing loans on interest to the people and recovery thereafter. We all are well aware with facts that a bank notably have different departments and all of them are assigned different tasks and it is well understandable that few of them do not have to deal with this un-Islamic matters, like interest.

In sum up, I think it is not haram to work in bank which deals with ur non haram matters.
Please make me correct, if I am mistaken or wrong due to lack of authentic knowledge.
Suppose, sare pakistani agree kr lete hain k hm sood ka kam chorte hain or wo section khatam krte hain banks se jo sood par mabni hain to kia ab banks function karenge?
the eddifice of bank is erected on the basis of interest. Even that of a peon's job too is haram you know why? Because he stands to be the guardian of an interest based system.
Old Friday, May 25, 2012

mjkhan is a name known to allmjkhan is a name known to allmjkhan is a name known to allmjkhan is a name known to allmjkhan is a name known to allmjkhan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by usman khalid View Post
Islamic banks are supposed to follow practices based upon islamic shari'ah. They also have shari'ah advisors on their boards. Therefore, they may not necessarily come under the definition of riba. However, it is not recommended to pursue career in banking whether islamic or non-islamic because some islamic banks are also involved in non-shari'ah compliance practices. It is also recommended that a banker must keep searching for an alternative career.

Not some but almost all islamic banks are following non islamic practices.They are just using the name of islamic banking.Banks following the guideline and parameters set out by islam regarding financial matters are non existent.

This is the statement of a senior Professor of economics in G.C.C.U.It was given about four years ago.

@Haroono i disagree with the stance that such working in such and such sections of the bank is halal and in others is haram.I will elaborate my stance in the next post.
Old Friday, May 25, 2012
40th CTP (DMG)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 22Elite CSP Medal: Members who previously received (CSP Award  and Member of the Year Award ) OR (CSP award + Gold Medal + Medal of Appreciation) are eligible for this award. - Issue reason: Member of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: 2012

Thanked 2,147 Times in 983 Posts
usman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkhan View Post
Not some but almost all islamic banks are following non islamic practices.They are just using the name of islamic banking.Banks following the guideline and parameters set out by islam regarding financial matters are non existent.

This is the statement of a senior Professor of economics in G.C.C.U.It was given about four years ago.

@Haroono i disagree with the stance that such working in such and such sections of the bank is halal and in others is haram.I will elaborate my stance in the next post.
Brother, opinion of one person cannot be generalized to the extent to negate the opinions of many other islamic scholars. It cannot be said with absolute surety that all islamic banks are involved in non-shari'ah compliance practices. Professor of economics is not necessarily a shari'ah expert.
Old Friday, May 25, 2012

mjkhan is a name known to allmjkhan is a name known to allmjkhan is a name known to allmjkhan is a name known to allmjkhan is a name known to allmjkhan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by usman khalid View Post
Brother, opinion of one person cannot be generalized to the extent to negate the opinions of many other islamic scholars. It cannot be said with absolute surety that all islamic banks are involved in non-shari'ah compliance practices. Professor of economics is not necessarily a shari'ah expert.
I dont think that any aalim has given any fatwa about some particular bank including islamic banking.Its all about whether a bank follows basic principles laid down in islam or not and which are also not that much difficult to comprehend.As economists are not the experts of shariah law and so do aalims are not experts of economics.However as i do not have first hand knowledge of the operations of an islamic bank so i am not in a position to say much.I believe that the professor was right in the context of the explanation that he gave to us.Rest ALLAH G knows better.

If i am not wrong a senior member and csp Hamza Salick has done MSc in islamic banking and so he is requested to shed light on the working of islamic banks in Pakistan and to tell us whether islamic banks operating in PAK are truly isamic or not, if he is reading this.

@Haroono, Brother already there is a flexibility in your point of view with respect to working in a bank in your latest post as compared to your immediate previous post in this thread.It is as simple as that a country cannot survive without integrating its financial system,of which banks are an integral and important part,with the global economy.

There is a clear cut Hadees of Prophet MUHAMMAD (SAAWW) that whosoever record,be a part of or a witness to such a transaction which involves interest is cursed etc.In the presense of this hadees ulema have soften the criteria by allowing employees to work in a department which do not involve interest transaction directly.

My question here is that does the hadees or islamic teachings prohibit interest or transaction of interest?

What are the departments in a bank that does not directly promote interest.Please name some.

Technically speaking all the different departments of a bank are promoting the business of a bank in way or the other.Be it the guard standing outside the bank.

Furthermore each and every employee of the bank is in knowledge of the fact that the income he is earning from the bank is from haram means and so how can an aalim declare that income earned from such means is halal.

Actually the problem with religious scholars is that they cannot straight away declare working in a bank halal in the presence of clear cut instructions and they are right too.

After all that i have written i still dont consider an individual working in a bank doing some sin.

So then does it mean that i oppose thee saying of Prophet MUHAMMAD(SAAWW)?ma kya meray maa baap ki bhi itni auqat hee nahee k RASOOL ALLAH k faislay ko jhutlana to door jhutlanay k baray ma soch bhi sakain.

My point of view is that is sab ki zimedari,yani k banks ma job karna ya kisi bhi interst based institution ma,kisi bhi fard par individually nahee balkay hum sab as a nation ya ummat hai aur is silsalay ma qayamat k din individual sa nahee balkay tamam gro(group) sa collectively sawal kiya jaey ga.aik fard zimedar nahee hai interest based institution ma kaam karnay ka jab k hakomat e waqt ki sarparasti ma sab kuch ho raha ho aur zindagi guzarney k mukhtalif zaraey pehlay hee napaid hain aur is k bhi upar sari qaum hee to hai jo is institution ko run kar rahee hai.Aur sab sa bari baat k aik mulk chal hee nahee sakta is institution k baghair.

agar hum interst based institution k baghair nahee chal saktey to is ka matlub ye nahee k ab islamic taleemat ki koi wuqat nahee reh gai aur hum gunnah sa bari o zimma ho gaey.is tarah to kal ko kisi aur haram cheez par dependant ho gaey to wo bhi hum halal qarar dey dain gey.par is ki zimedari har us musalman par hai jis ko ALLAH na himmat aur istataat di hai .aur hum certainly un loogon ma sa hain jo privileged hain.Hum nojawaano par ye zimedari hai k dunyavi taleem ma baqi duniya sa agey niklain ta k hum apna economic system raij kar sakain duniya par.agar hum taraqi pazeer rahey to phir sirf quran ki talawat ya RASOOL sa muhabat ki bunyaad par hum duniya ko nahee badal saktey kiu k ye duniya jo k aik imtehan gah hai is k kuch asool hain aur mehnat,himmat, taleem,science jesay pemano par jo bhi pura utrey ga ALLAH G usey reward dain gey kiu WO nainsaafi nahee karety.Lastly in interest based institution ka dunya par ghalba musalamno ki kai generations ki mujrimana ghaflat,kahili,susti aur na ehli ka nateeja hai aur lehaza sab generations tayar rahey is ka jawab denay k liye.sirf becharey bankers par sara malba na dalain.

ziada guftagoo is baray ma hamain topic sa bohat door la jaey gee.All of the above is my point of view and i can be wrong.

Banks sa murad tamam financial institution hain in my discussion and ma na bank ko sirf job k point of view sa nahee balkay as a system nationally and internationally view kiya hai apna point of view detay waqt.