Wednesday, May 15, 2024
08:20 AM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Closed Thread Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Friday, July 22, 2011

Thanked 1,417 Times in 749 Posts
SADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleeqa Batool View Post
ZAB never supported Mujeeb Six point that amounted to turning Federation of Pakistan into confederation.Yes , during the crises , ZAB agreedv to 5 points and pledged to resolve differences over the reamining point.However , i wont comment further over it.Separation movement instigated during period of a General Ayub and reached its logical end in the period of second General but politicions are blamed for this.Pakistan Army inflicted inhumane punishments on Bangalese , People were killed, Women were raped but we are fort of Isalm.World is behind us.We are innocent.Politicion are corupt.Army, the ar,my of Islam Innocent.No further comments...

ZAB was`nt ready for confedration so ultimate result was debacle of bengladesh.and why he was not ready FOR A DAILOGUE even .???? you know bengla fiasco was happenes only and only due to ZAB.yahya was puupet in the hand of ZAB.He(ZAB) did not even conceded to other five points too.give me proof that he was agreed to other five points.ok after debacle a new pakistan came into being.ZAB had becOme civil marsahl law admin as well as incharge of the state .all this happened without election.an jub be election karaey dahandley waley.....and pliticain are`nt corrupt?????.sepration moment was ignited by sikander mirza not by ayub.
Banned

mukt will become famous soon enoughmukt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SADIA SHAFIQ View Post
ZAB was`nt ready for confedration so ultimate result was debacle of bengladesh.and why he was not ready FOR A DAILOGUE even .???? you know bengla fiasco was happenes only and only due to ZAB.yahya was puupet in the hand of ZAB.He(ZAB) did not even conceded to other five points too.give me proof that he was agreed to other five points.ok after debacle a new pakistan came into being.ZAB had becOme civil marsahl law admin as well as incharge of the state .all this happened without election.an jub be election karaey dahandley waley.....and pliticain are`nt corrupt?????.sepration moment was ignited by sikander mirza not by ayub.
With all due respect may I ask was it whom you call "ZAB" who asked the army to surrender? Was It Zab who ordered the army to indulge in raping women and killing civilians? Was It zab who planned and executed all sort of war crimes In what we now know as bangladesh? I would be glad and delighted If you answer
The Following User Says Thank You to mukt For This Useful Post:
ali emraan (Friday, July 22, 2011)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2010 - Merit 25Member of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: Elite CSP Medal: Members who previously received (CSP Award  and Member of the Year Award ) OR (CSP award + Gold Medal + Medal of Appreciation) are eligible for this award. - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,898 Times in 694 Posts
Hamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to all
Default Putting a few facts right

Z.A.B became the civil martial law administrator after the elctions..The 1970 elections that is..His party won 81 out of 137 seats in west pakistan(which was what remained of Pakistan after 1971).And there was no constitutional structure at that time so he had to assume the role of a civillian martial law administrator.He could have been nothing else.
The only solution whereby East Pakistan would have remained East Pakistan and not become bangladesh was to give it increased autonomy.Mujib was ready to deliberate over a few points from among the six points.A loosely held federation could have worked.

UltimateCSP will become famous soon enoughUltimateCSP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamza_salick86 View Post
Z.A.B became the civil martial law administrator after the elctions..The 1970 elections that is..His party won 81 out of 137 seats in west pakistan(which was what remained of Pakistan after 1971).And there was no constitutional structure at that time so he had to assume the role of a civillian martial law administrator.He could have been nothing else.
The only solution whereby East Pakistan would have remained East Pakistan and not become bangladesh was to give it increased autonomy.Mujib was ready to deliberate over a few points from among the six points.A loosely held federation could have worked.
ZAB is actually responsible for dismemberment of east Pakistan. When Awami party got more seats than ppp in 1970 elections, then it must be given an opportunity to make central Govt.
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2010 - Merit 25Member of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: Elite CSP Medal: Members who previously received (CSP Award  and Member of the Year Award ) OR (CSP award + Gold Medal + Medal of Appreciation) are eligible for this award. - Issue reason:

Hamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateCSP View Post
ZAB is actually responsible for dismemberment of east Pakistan. When Awami party got more seats than ppp in 1970 elections, then it must be given an opportunity to make central Govt.
13 years of Martial Laws,and yet ZAB was responsible for the dismemberment of East Pakistan?If there was no Yahya Khan and his personal motives(FYI ma'am ZAB didn't order the operation searchlight in East Pak in March 1971.THAT was what really was the last nail in the coffin of united Pakistan),ZAB and Mujib would have reached an amicable settlement I believe..ZAB wanted it to be a 'Qoumi hukoomat' with both PPP and A.L in the driving seat.And this was because if it was solely an A-L govt,there would have bee no representation for west Pakistan in the government.thus a whole part of Pakistan would have been alienated.Do read Siddique Salik's 'Me ne Dhaka doobtay dekha'..even he has not put all the blame on ZAB,rather on Yahya and Niazi for what happened..
40th CTP (OMG)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 333

fromQAU will become famous soon enoughfromQAU will become famous soon enough

Mujib, Z.A.Bhutto, Punjabi civil-military Bureaucratic lobby, Yahya Khan and India were the major players in the debacle of East Pakistan. every1 would be equally blamed.

UltimateCSP will become famous soon enoughUltimateCSP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamza_salick86 View Post
13 years of Martial Laws,and yet ZAB was responsible for the dismemberment of East Pakistan?If there was no Yahya Khan and his personal motives(FYI ma'am ZAB didn't order the operation searchlight in East Pak in March 1971.THAT was what really was the last nail in the coffin of united Pakistan),ZAB and Mujib would have reached an amicable settlement I believe..ZAB wanted it to be a 'Qoumi hukoomat' with both PPP and A.L in the driving seat.And this was because if it was solely an A-L govt,there would have bee no representation for west Pakistan in the government.thus a whole part of Pakistan would have been alienated.Do read Siddique Salik's 'Me ne Dhaka doobtay dekha'..even he has not put all the blame on ZAB,rather on Yahya and Niazi for what happened..
may be, you are right.......
In fact i have studied Pak affairs recently. And yet dont have command on it.

& I do not have that much time to read a full bulky book for clearance of one topic...will read it after exams for interview...
40th CTP (CTG)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 400

aphrodite is a jewel in the roughaphrodite is a jewel in the roughaphrodite is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazibRoomi View Post
Good idea. But since most people today consider democracy the best form of government as it ensures prevalence of majority will, and since it is also believed what a nonproductive democracy needs is more democracy, it is natural if one views your idea of an aristocratic government with suspicion.

How would Imran Khan come to power and how long would he stay? On what constitutional grounds would he be able to make the necessary amendment in the constitution so as to switch from democracy to aristocracy? And since apparently the present judiciary would not give its consensus to this move, what would be the power center of that government other than military? And if it is military again than why Imran Khan?

And what about freedom of expression and human rights, keeping in view the history of such violations by the model communists.

The more you call this idea in question, the more you feel that it is as ideal as Plato's republic. So why not we should strive for more democracy and more freedom?
You calling it a ‘Good idea’ means this idea does click with you at some levelJ See jazib, the trouble right now is that we have too many expectations but we aren’t ‘understanding’ our affairs too well. For eg, I would like to import a Saint Bernard canine for myself, but the reality is I cant maintain it given my current situation. It needs a lot of preparation like an AC because its not used to hot climate, a decent spacious kennel because it gets irritated in cramped up places, it’s a dog that needs a lot of attention from its master but I may be stretched too thin. If it doesn’t get all this, it’ll get rogue. This is the relation between a full-functioning democracy and Pakistan now. More democracy will invite more trouble because we aren’t apt to control its reigns. Are our leaders from the right background (i.e, education, non-authoritarian)? Are any of them honest? Are our people literate? Have we given them a viable platform from where to voice their concerns? Is our bureaucracy disciplined and functioning well? The pseudo-democracy that has captivated us today, is still being run by 2 main elements who are basically having it out with each other. One is pakistani Establishment (the powerful, and half honest civil and military bureaucracy, some media persons, high judges). The other is USA. But the real people on the face are inapt. Ab bataein, do you see this scenario functioning efficiently ever? Because its here to stay.

How imran khan would come to power. First of all, we need to set aside our apprehensions for a while and understand (if you’ve seen the movie 2012 and the scene with that Buddhist monk, his disciple and a teacup, youll know what I mean). There is no way you can oust our powerful military ever. It may sound crude and to some defeatist, but it’s the truth. Part of strength itself is to know your weaknesses first. What you can do however, is to ‘tame’ it a bit. The only long route to ousting military background is to create a healthy, vibrant leadership , which itself will be created during a army-civilian coalition- not on its own because the present leadership will NEVER allow that. Imran Khan coming to power has many ways around it. There are clear indications that he has renounced his previous stance of non-negotiation with the army. I say that’s intelligent on his part because if he ever wants to help Pakistan he needs to make ideological compromises. Then recently, he has gone on a “voter registration’ campaign. Some 3 million + voters, all young, aren’t registered. He himself plans on setting up stations to facilitate this. If they get registered, and given that ratings for IK are going higher up by the day, they will vote for him. This alone will ensure IK manages 20-25 seats in the NA, as opposed to previous single one. This will launch him as a pretty decent opposition party. Next, phase may take several routes:
  • Either the establishment will push a vote-of no-confidence on majority party in NA, and subsequent Mid-term election in which TI will gain considerable votes
  • Parliament can be adjourned through constitutional means and fresh elections conducted.
But in any case, the point being that once opposition benches are secured, TI can be brought in full force the next time. On the flip side, the establishment may just decide to simply rig the elections. IK is popular in masses and we know it. But in order to defeat a dirty system, there may be a need to resort to dirty ways.

Acha about constitutional amendments, we don’t need to make ANY changes. Let it be ‘democratic’. IK himself also believes in democracy and it will function as it is. However, like in Turkey, I suggest we accept the powerful role of the military as part of the constitution. We’ve been evading it for too long. Give it a reasonable share in governance and judiciary. If Turkey hasn’t collapsed, we wont either. And Turkey is doing very well btw. The judiciary will adhere to this move. Why? Because ‘No long march is ever possible without the consent of the Establishment’. I think this popular saying says it all. You’re intelligent enough to understand the rest. J
Why Imran Khan when theres military? Because
  • we cant afford direct military involvement anymore. International community will isolate us, and brand us another Iraq or North Korea.
  • People do like, and will be happy to see a fresh face in IK whom they can relate to
  • IK has given enough to this country to prove he will bring in the desired results.
  • His party, once in power, is sure to attract future leadership that this nation desperately needs.
  • However he is too weak right now to make necessary reforms because US pressure will be greater (eg, on development of Sindh Thar Coal, dam construction, war on terror, aid related arm-twisting etc). He needs the strength behind him that the army will provide. Army is simply the King-maker. With that support, he will be free to deliver.
Let me know if you see any problems with this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukt View Post
And logistics will lead to what? Tactics, isn't it? Then why not directly talk about tactics and that will cover the logistics itself. .
You just challenged Napoleon. Tactics are less important than the logistics, i.e means. Tactics is ‘what you will do exactly during the crucial moment’. Tactics will fail if logistics aren’t ensured.
And its good to see you talk like you should be, and about the topic only.

Quote:
Pakistan needs to discipline itself .... AWAY from dictatorships... towards tolerance and democracy. The poorest countries are almost all dictatorships without democracy, that's where the worst human rights violations occur, the most terrorism because such countries do not have a tradition of respect dissenting points of views. Calmness.... low crime... respect for life... comes from tolerance, and a willingness to hear others, and respect what they say and think. It's easy to order people what to do.... it's harder to respect their right to disagree, and to ask them what they think. So to make a long story short, our army never really let us enjoyed democracy because they for some reason never wanted us to have a true democracy.
This is why I am talking of a new Army-civilian coalition. Both sides will not be able to survive without each other’s support. The poorest countries may be dictatorships. But not all dictatorships are poor. China, Turkey are success stories. Turkey is still very much controlled by its army ( one of the reasons EU doesn’t grant its entry) and Turkey, Pakistan are always compared to each other because of the similarities. The reason poor countries remain poor despite being resource-rich too, is because dictatorships are ‘thrust’ upon them by US instead of being indigenous.

Quote:
You can find exceptions... but the general rule is that people who rule with an iron fist... usually cause great heartache, and destroy their countries.. If you want to ask for an example then hitler comes to my mind [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Toshiba/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG].
Hitler is unduly vilified by the West if you ask me. He was as bad as any other imperial power in reality. Take time out to read two books, “Mein Kampf” and Hitler by Ian Kershaw, with an open mind and perhaps you’ll realize this. He wasn’t a ‘maniac’ as media portrays him. He was just ambitious with a view to turn the tide of a unilateral humiliation at Versailles. You would have done the same for your nation. That’s all. Doesn’t the West always create villains? Che was a villain. So was Omar Mukhtar. So was Ghazi Ilm din. It finds a new villain every decade to justify its insatiable hunger. What did Hitler want? Lebensraum. Expansion towards the East. So isn’t US doing the same today although with a different method. Britain recently just relinquished its ownership of ¼ of this globe. In Germany they just saw a competitor. And in reality, if you ever travel to Germany and ask even its uptight public about Hitler, the older lot may agree that Hitler went over board, but not that he was a devil. They’ll remember how he developed infrastructure (Germany’s infamous AutoBahn and Subway, energy-generating projects, industrial capacity etc) internal crime rate was minimal in those days, he gave a war-devastated German public a lot of financial and economic relief. Things were improving for them before the WWII.

Quote:
The strongest, richest, wealthiest, best places to live are democracies, they benefit from the diversity of ideas and they grow from the efforts of many "cooks".
You perhaps want a place of ‘counsel’ in state affairs. Counsel, not of uptight, uneducated feudal/tribal class, but of learned men. A Khalifa also did the same. The system I am proposing is not very different from model of Khilafat, with some minor adjustments to accommodate for modern times. Diversity of ideas, will be a lot more informed and systematic if the leader employs technocrats instead of a Parliament. As I said, once we begin to tame something as big as a republic, it shall come in due course of time. But first we need to educate the masses, straighten our institutions, ensure justice, and create leadership in the meantime.
The Following User Says Thank You to aphrodite For This Useful Post:
candidguy (Friday, July 22, 2011)

The technocrats who can make up the cabinet/counsel of the Prime-minister(the future leader of the country has to has this face) can come from WITHIN the parliament.I don't think we have to 'hire' or appoint any non elected technocrats..After all,even the present Parliament of Pakistan has many technocrats.There are people with highest qualifications in Finance,Economics,Medicine,Engineering,Internation al relations etc sitting right there in that parliament.There services need to be employes.They need to be given a team of technocrats to work with.But for this,we wessentially need to have a 'National Government' which surpasses all the barriers of political parties and different political ideologies.The best man in the assembly should be chosen for the job irrespective of his party loyalty.
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Roll no 12715

game on will become famous soon enoughgame on will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphrodite View Post
Thank you for the appreciation!
In my view your questions dont have instant answers, bro. See the problem is, that political structure of any country is shaped and resultant of domestic socio-politico-economic realities. There cant be a fixed formula that will apply to all nations. So what worked in Britain may not work in USA. Similarly Pak has its own realities-realities we aren’t willing to admit to because democracy is the only alternative being drummed onto us from all quarters. It’s a nation surrounded by wolves from all sides, to put it crudely and democratic evolution will take a very long time in yielding even the first signs of positive results. We don’t have time any more to resort to trials and tests.

1. To whom should we give charge?
Lets face it. Apart from a ‘neo- enlightened’ class, 90% of Pakistan doesn’t care much for democracy. He only cares about some basic needs. That attitude is partially also due to the fact that in Islam, there is no concept of Western democracy. There is ONE CALIPH. He may take counsel, which is not binding on him. It’s a separate thing that the Caliph himself has to be of impeccable standards and his selection procedure is highly stringent. So is his punishment in case he doesn’t perform.
A de-railing of democracy blatantly will also invite trouble from all sides given Paks situation. As it is everyone’s just waiting for an excuse. Our priority for now should be resolution of our key problems i.e, energy crisis, law and order, war on terror and economy. My idea is, give chance to Imran Khan. I know he isn’t the best guy for all times, but I do know that he deserves a chance and at least he will come in and solve these major issues to a certain extent with an honest intent. We need that kind of stability first. Neither can we deny that the ‘establishment’ will always remain strong in Pakistan. Let them stay behind the scenes to guide Imran khan. The establishment, with its flaws has also been a blessing in disguise if you ask me, because had it been these politicians only, Pakistan would have been sliced a long time back. This first phase will open the way for new leadership to arise. Our future leaders can come from it. Is waqt to hum isi jhanjat se nahi nikle key yeh Wadera or Chaudry, Sardar class politics se nahi hut rahi. We need to eliminate them and make way for fresh faces. Educated commoners.

2. did India achieve it the same way?
Of course not. But they also took a different path from ours from onset.
  • Abolished feudal or royal titles.
  • Took a conservative, protectionist path to economic development.
  • Took the non-aligned path in principle but was also aligned to USSR. It later ditched USSR when it didn’t need it anymore.
Neither is their strategic position like Pakistan. This meant no dangerous wars with US/NATO involvement, very few economic and diplomatic sanctions slapped onto them (2 years for them and 30 years worth for us J ).
Pakistan didn’t have the above advantage or sometimes the expediency to follow this route. So, Indians got a chance to pursue democracy slowly because of that breathing space.
However, instead of envying India why don’t we envy the Chinese. No democracy initially. Democracy was selective if any inside the Communist party of China. Any aspirer to leadership had to work as a volunteer in china’s remote rural areas for years before the first public office was given to him. This process was necessary in order to carve out the right people. Jis ne mehnat ki hogi, dhakke khaye honge, wohi phir lead bhi karsakta hai na. And now, after 60 years, China is beginning to see the first hint of democracy. During this time, human rights violations, sometimes propaganda was hurled at china. But the end result is a highly disciplined, loyal nation. Ive already given Turkey’s example.
What is the right solution in your view?
SIS, i can understand my nation's anxiety regarding non-performing democracy......i know what a man in the street wants (basic needs plus uninterrupted supply of utilities)....Given the number of crisis we find ourselves in, coupled with the class of politicians at the helm of affairs, it is natural for anyone to start casting aspersions on democratic system or to doubt its suitability to a nation-state such as PAKISTAN.
And, thinking that we are too stretched to waste our time on tests and trials may be seen as exhibition of impatience on the part of nation that wants democracy but, not ready to give time to nurture and develop it into something "desirable".

AGAIN, i tried to envy india because india is in close proximity to us in terms of socio-political realities...i agree that she did the basics right, right from the word go. so, we can say, that pakistan lagged behind india only because it did not do what it should have done right after the establishment of this "LAND OF THE PURE" .Had we done the same in the start, story would have been different altogether.....but, sit back and think, is it too late to call for change and starting from scratch now?......i have grown, told and heard, that its never too late to make amends"..m afraid if i have been misguided..we can start afresh as for the first time we have "conducive environment too"( judiciary more assertive, media more open and public more informed, civil society more active rather proactive than ever before).....

next, china's socio-political realities, i think, have been entirely different from that of pakistan....china is a different ball game, altogether....
it will take complete revamp of system to replicate china which is not workable in my view....

fast-forward to imran khan, he is good, his intents seem to be good....but, to be honest, i dont see kind of leadership traits in him...we do talk about him as an alternative because we have a serious leadership crisis in our country and everyone else has been put to test and not surprisingly, all have failed or were made to faill to deliver...... 2ndly, tehrik-e-insaaf;s prospects for majority in NA are not bright, atleast not in the upcoming elections....3rdly, in case,if it so happens that he doesnt get chance to lead this country after 2013 elections, then we will have wait till 2018....and by that time, considering his age(may he live long!)he might virtually retire from politics, if not from this bamboozling cold world..............

in next post, i will try and tell you how can we move towards making this country better, greater and prosperous...INSHALLAH!...