Wednesday, May 15, 2024
05:28 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Closed Thread Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sunday, July 10, 2011

Tauseef Taj Kiani is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleeqa Batool View Post
Islamic System of Governance is undoubtedly flawless , supreme and prevails over all human made systems.But flaw lies in people.The sincerty that is foremost pillar of Islamic System exist nowhere.Who amongst will leave the perks and serve people only as per injuctions of Islam, if posted as head of district adminstration ,AC,or Police Officer .The answer is obvious : No One.

History tells that after khilafat e rashda no state can function under principles of Islam.Even during Khilafat e Rashda , during Caliphate of Hazrat Ali, the feud amongst Muslims ensued bloodshed of innocent Muslims.Again it must not be taken that fault lies in the System rather it lies in People who are unable to understand and implement Islam with sincerity.

So in given circumstances , establishement of islamic system is simplay impossible. So we have to opt for some man made system.We have two options , Army or Democracy.

Army has ruled the country for much of its existence. Given the political dynamics of Pakistan, pemanent Military Rule is impossible.I dont go in to details as to whetehr Military performed bettr or worse than its civilian counterparts but it is fact that whenever military comes it has to go back.First the political structure in pakistan is sound to such extent that it can withstand the pressure. Secondly International Community exert pressure for restoration of democary .Whenever a dictator come take over, he promise to rstore democary with in minimum possible time.So it is an implied recognition of worth of democacy.

When prolonged Military Rule is not possible than democracy is the only choice left.Any Military intervention will only hamper the progress of Democacry.Democacy is not mere a system of governance , rather it is a set of beliefes , norms and culture. It streghen over time and has an inbuilt system of accountibility. Our neighbor India is example. With the pasage of time, it have eastablished a strong edifice of democracy. Thier politicions are not much different from ours . Charges of corruptions is norm over there. I read in a report that almost 70 pc members of Look Saba have criminal records.But only continuity of democratic system has blessed india a place in international community.

We have no other option but democarcy .This is what sooner we realise better it would be.
Totally agreed, The fault really lies in the People not the system, if the people become honest and sincere, then any sytem can work out, wether its Islamic, or Western Democracy. By reading your comments, I conclude that Democracy will allways suit our country, the Original Question can be re-phrased as "Unsincere and Dishonest Leadership (Wether Military or Civilian) Doesn't Suit Our Country"...
Old Monday, July 11, 2011

irfantariq is on a distinguished road
Default Democracy and Pakistan

Well! Democracy is so wide and ample word that every good and positive thing can be attributed as democratic. It should not be restricted to elections only. Unfortunately in Pakistan democracy related to elections has eroded the edifice of state of PAkistan.We, illiterate pakistanis, selected our representatives on the basis of "Baradari, clan, jagaeerdari, peeri muridee, sardarism and wadeeraism". Don't defame Democracy but do come hard on the prevailing system which is unfitting for the so noble thing like democracy.
Old Wednesday, July 20, 2011
40th CTP (CTG)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 400

aphrodite is a jewel in the roughaphrodite is a jewel in the roughaphrodite is a jewel in the rough

FINALLY!

Finally are we talking 'logistics' instead of tactics. Democracy may come. Just not right now. I mean look at us chipmunks. We havent learnt to drink out of a bottle yet, and there are talks of shifting us to a cup. The result? Spillage and waste or resources. Lets first discipline ourselves and then think of democracy.

Mustafa Kemal Pasha (although no hero of mine) had once said, "Democracy, aahh, lets just forget that for another 25 years or so, let me rule with an iron fist for now, and then perhaps Ill re-think about it after the lapse of the 25 years". Needless to say, Turkey excelled in those 25 years.
The problem is we like idolizing such greats like Ataturk, Bhutto and Napoleon but refuse to adhere to their basic ways. All of them were aware that, "Too many (amateur) cooks spoil the broth". One expert chef will create a delight.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aphrodite For This Useful Post:
candidguy (Wednesday, July 20, 2011), game on (Thursday, July 21, 2011), SADIA SHAFIQ (Thursday, July 21, 2011)
Old Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Roll no 12715

game on will become famous soon enoughgame on will become famous soon enough

TO APHRODITE! WITH RESPECT!
First things first, I am impressed with the way you dish out your viewpoint!

So, to whom should we give charge of our affairs who can teach us how to drink out of a bottle......Is there anyone you see worthy of being tasked to navigate us through these troubling times......point out a single one?......waiting....

DID india achieve real democracy in a manner you have just suggested?.....

I know, there are problems there? There are impediments in our way.....But tell us please what is the "workable" solution?......

Proponents of the kind of democracy we have in place, argue that "this process be given a time! It would help filter out bad ones and bring to the helm some good ones......what do you say?
Old Thursday, July 21, 2011
40th CTP (CTG)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 400

aphrodite is a jewel in the roughaphrodite is a jewel in the roughaphrodite is a jewel in the rough
Default @game on

Thank you for the appreciation!
In my view your questions dont have instant answers, bro. See the problem is, that political structure of any country is shaped and resultant of domestic socio-politico-economic realities. There cant be a fixed formula that will apply to all nations. So what worked in Britain may not work in USA. Similarly Pak has its own realities-realities we aren’t willing to admit to because democracy is the only alternative being drummed onto us from all quarters. It’s a nation surrounded by wolves from all sides, to put it crudely and democratic evolution will take a very long time in yielding even the first signs of positive results. We don’t have time any more to resort to trials and tests.

1. To whom should we give charge?
Lets face it. Apart from a ‘neo- enlightened’ class, 90% of Pakistan doesn’t care much for democracy. He only cares about some basic needs. That attitude is partially also due to the fact that in Islam, there is no concept of Western democracy. There is ONE CALIPH. He may take counsel, which is not binding on him. It’s a separate thing that the Caliph himself has to be of impeccable standards and his selection procedure is highly stringent. So is his punishment in case he doesn’t perform.
A de-railing of democracy blatantly will also invite trouble from all sides given Paks situation. As it is everyone’s just waiting for an excuse. Our priority for now should be resolution of our key problems i.e, energy crisis, law and order, war on terror and economy. My idea is, give chance to Imran Khan. I know he isn’t the best guy for all times, but I do know that he deserves a chance and at least he will come in and solve these major issues to a certain extent with an honest intent. We need that kind of stability first. Neither can we deny that the ‘establishment’ will always remain strong in Pakistan. Let them stay behind the scenes to guide Imran khan. The establishment, with its flaws has also been a blessing in disguise if you ask me, because had it been these politicians only, Pakistan would have been sliced a long time back. This first phase will open the way for new leadership to arise. Our future leaders can come from it. Is waqt to hum isi jhanjat se nahi nikle key yeh Wadera or Chaudry, Sardar class politics se nahi hut rahi. We need to eliminate them and make way for fresh faces. Educated commoners.

2. did India achieve it the same way?
Of course not. But they also took a different path from ours from onset.
  • Abolished feudal or royal titles.
  • Took a conservative, protectionist path to economic development.
  • Took the non-aligned path in principle but was also aligned to USSR. It later ditched USSR when it didn’t need it anymore.
Neither is their strategic position like Pakistan. This meant no dangerous wars with US/NATO involvement, very few economic and diplomatic sanctions slapped onto them (2 years for them and 30 years worth for us J ).
Pakistan didn’t have the above advantage or sometimes the expediency to follow this route. So, Indians got a chance to pursue democracy slowly because of that breathing space.
However, instead of envying India why don’t we envy the Chinese. No democracy initially. Democracy was selective if any inside the Communist party of China. Any aspirer to leadership had to work as a volunteer in china’s remote rural areas for years before the first public office was given to him. This process was necessary in order to carve out the right people. Jis ne mehnat ki hogi, dhakke khaye honge, wohi phir lead bhi karsakta hai na. And now, after 60 years, China is beginning to see the first hint of democracy. During this time, human rights violations, sometimes propaganda was hurled at china. But the end result is a highly disciplined, loyal nation. Ive already given Turkey’s example.
What is the right solution in your view?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aphrodite For This Useful Post:
candidguy (Thursday, July 21, 2011), SADIA SHAFIQ (Thursday, July 21, 2011)
Banned

mukt will become famous soon enoughmukt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphrodite View Post
FINALLY!

Finally are we talking 'logistics' instead of tactics. Democracy may come. Just not right now. I mean look at us chipmunks. We havent learnt to drink out of a bottle yet, and there are talks of shifting us to a cup. The result? Spillage and waste or resources. Lets first discipline ourselves and then think of democracy.
You have never drink out of a bottle, you only gargled and your posts proves it. How Illogical can you get?
40th CTP (CTG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukt View Post
You have never drink out of a bottle, you only gargled and your posts proves it. How Illogical can you get?
Are you done barfing or is there any concrete argument left?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aphrodite For This Useful Post:
candidguy (Thursday, July 21, 2011), SADIA SHAFIQ (Thursday, July 21, 2011)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2010 - Merit 25Member of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: Elite CSP Medal: Members who previously received (CSP Award  and Member of the Year Award ) OR (CSP award + Gold Medal + Medal of Appreciation) are eligible for this award. - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,898 Times in 694 Posts
Hamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to all
'Democracy is not being,it is becoming'

Democracy is an evolutionary process.There isn't a 'switch' which we can turn on and hope that democracy,with all its boons,would come immediately.An educated middle class and strong institutions are a must for democracy in my view.We get these,and the democracy might work as well in our country as it works in USA or India..
But how do we establish the above?Even for this we need an uninterrupted spell of democracy..We,by nature,are a nation of impatient people.We want instant results.But this doesn't happen.You have to sow the seed and wait for a plant to grow.Sadly in Pakistan,this plant called 'democracy' was never allowed to grow.Martial laws,dissolution of assemblies etc never let the democracy flourish and the policies continue.resultantly,we find ourselves in the quagmire we are in..We must learn that the 'cure for bad democracy is more democracy'..but ofcourse,it can't be allowed to go on unchecked..There are improvements and changes that have to be made.U cannot expect any improvement in the standard of democracy in Pakistan and the sitution it finds itself in without elevation the educational standards of the people(that is bound to bring awareness in the masses),institution building and continuation of policies..
I sometimes think it was a great blunder on our part as a nation,that we let a general and his judges hang a person like Z.A Bhutto..He,after Quaid e Azam,was one person who could unify all the elements of the society,command respect and ellicit commitment out of most.I know some people call him a civillian dictator,which to me is not that bad a thing(A thousand times better than a military dictator-atleast a civillian dictator has to contest elections after every 5 years).At that time,a civillian dictator like him was the need of truncated Pakistan,which had just started to rise from the ashes.Coz if he wasn't hanged,there was no way that anybody could have beaten him fair and square in the next 5 terms.In that way,Pakistan could have seen political stability,continuation of policies(whatever they were) and institution building.20 years of such 'civillian dictatorship' could have done wonders for Pakistan.The generals in particular,and all of us were somehow responsible for what 'we' did to him..It was a massive conspiracy to remove him from the scene,and now the Jama'at i Islami workers and supporters of the PNA tehreek,also say so.I have seen many a leader of PNA tehreek repenting that what they had done to Pakistan,after ZAB was hanged.He was the only person who could guide Pakistan to,if not prosperity immediately,stability.If the nation had risen then,there was no way in the world that an institution's top brass could have hanged him..All of us are to blame for the loss of such brilliant leader..Like Mukhtar Masood says,qomo pe jub zawal ata he tw Khuda une Qeht-ul-Rijaal jese azaab se do-chaar kar dayta hey..exactly what happened to us..Hum ne ek brilliant leader ko bus is liye phansi pe charha dia q k us ne kaha tha k :'Han me kubhi kbhar thori si pee leyta hun'..Or usk bad jis Ameer ul Momineen or Islam k rakhwaley Zia ul Haq k hathon me mulk ki bag dor gai,us ne kya hal kia is mulk or us k institutions ko,wo sub jante hain..
usman khalid (Thursday, July 21, 2011)
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2010 - Roll number 6338

JazibRoomi has a spectacular aura aboutJazibRoomi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
My idea is, give chance to Imran Khan. I know he isn’t the best guy for all times, but I do know that he deserves a chance and at least he will come in and solve these major issues to a certain extent with an honest intent. We need that kind of stability first. Neither can we deny that the ‘establishment’ will always remain strong in Pakistan. Let them stay behind the scenes to guide Imran khan. The establishment, with its flaws has also been a blessing in disguise if you ask me, because had it been these politicians only, Pakistan would have been sliced a long time back. This first phase will open the way for new leadership to arise. Our future leaders can come from it.
Good idea. But since most people today consider democracy the best form of government as it ensures prevalence of majority will, and since it is also believed what a nonproductive democracy needs is more democracy, it is natural if one views your idea of an aristocratic government with suspicion.

How would Imran Khan come to power and how long would he stay? On what constitutional grounds would he be able to make the necessary amendment in the constitution so as to switch from democracy to aristocracy? And since apparently the present judiciary would not give its consensus to this move, what would be the power center of that government other than military? And if it is military again than why Imran Khan?

And what about freedom of expression and human rights, keeping in view the history of such violations by the model communists.

The more you call this idea in question, the more you feel that it is as ideal as Plato's republic. So why not we should strive for more democracy and more freedom?
Old Friday, July 22, 2011
Banned

mukt will become famous soon enoughmukt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
FINALLY!

Finally are we talking 'logistics' instead of tactics.
And logistics will lead to what? Tactics, isn't it? Then why not directly talk about tactics and that will cover the logistics itself.

Quote:
Democracy may come. Just not right now. I mean look at us chipmunks. We havent learnt to drink out of a bottle yet, and there are talks of shifting us to a cup. The result? Spillage and waste or resources. Lets first discipline ourselves and then think of democracy.
Pakistan needs to discipline itself .... AWAY from dictatorships... towards tolerance and democracy. The poorest countries are almost all dictatorships without democracy, that's where the worst human rights violations occur, the most terrorism because such countries do not have a tradition of respect dissenting points of views. Calmness.... low crime... respect for life... comes from tolerance, and a willingness to hear others, and respect what they say and think. It's easy to order people what to do.... it's harder to respect their right to disagree, and to ask them what they think. So to make a long story short, our army never really let us enjoyed democracy because they for some reason never wanted us to have a true democracy

Quote:
Mustafa Kemal Pasha (although no hero of mine) had once said, "Democracy, aahh, lets just forget that for another 25 years or so, let me rule with an iron fist for now, and then perhaps Ill re-think about it after the lapse of the 25 years". Needless to say, Turkey excelled in those 25 years.
You can find exceptions... but the general rule is that people who rule with an iron fist... usually cause great heartache, and destroy their countries.. If you want to ask for an example then hitler comes to my mind

Quote:
The problem is we like idolizing such greats like Ataturk, Bhutto and Napoleon but refuse to adhere to their basic ways. All of them were aware that, "Too many (amateur) cooks spoil the broth". One expert chef will create a delight.
The strongest, richest, wealthiest, best places to live are democracies, they benefit from the diversity of ideas and they grow from the efforts of many "cooks"

SIDENOTE : You also gave an example of the Islamic rule and the Khalifa system. Well, It's good to have a khalifa but that's only possible If you have an Islamic state. Ours is NOT an Islamic state (only by the name maybe) but not in practice.
Closed Thread