Monday, April 29, 2024
06:50 AM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sunday, September 29, 2013

mysterious me will become famous soon enough
Default Capital punishment... For/against????

Greater the interpretation of human mind is carried out louder the sympathy we observe for the deviants and criminals. Take for example the times when gay practices were thought to be the outcomes of evil spirits, but, gradual efforts of the "gay rights unions" and psychological interpreters brought this tabooed world out of morass. Corollary to this global trend of rights advocacy one may not wonder if someday a cannibal stand upright with his fellows under the pre text of RIGHTS.
Among the recent triumphs of right advocates is annulment of capital punishment in most of first world. A lot of hue and cry against hanging of even the most heinous criminal is on the go. Punishment is the right of every criminal. it is a scientifically proven psychological tool, which helps in negative reinforcement. Where laws made to clutch at the freedom of individuals is injustice letting free the chains of punishment is a social vice.Only the balance between two would be conducive to a healthy society.

Above is my opinion please share yours
Invincible (Monday, September 30, 2013)
Old Monday, September 30, 2013
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,572 Times in 792 Posts
Invincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious me View Post
Greater the interpretation of human mind is carried out louder the sympathy we observe for the deviants and criminals. Take for example the times when gay practices were thought to be the outcomes of evil spirits, but, gradual efforts of the "gay rights unions" and psychological interpreters brought this tabooed world out of morass. Corollary to this global trend of rights advocacy one may not wonder if someday a cannibal stand upright with his fellows under the pre text of RIGHTS.
Among the recent triumphs of right advocates is annulment of capital punishment in most of first world. A lot of hue and cry against hanging of even the most heinous criminal is on the go. Punishment is the right of every criminal. it is a scientifically proven psychological tool, which helps in negative reinforcement. Where laws made to clutch at the freedom of individuals is injustice letting free the chains of punishment is a social vice.Only the balance between two would be conducive to a healthy society.

Above is my opinion please share yours
I have gone through in details of this topic through different platforms & have found no valid reason that could make me convinced that why a hardcore criminal should not be executed. Capital Punishment deters crime & I am of the view that a criminal deserves to be punished in proportion to the gravity of his or her crime.

Regards
courageneverdies (Tuesday, October 01, 2013), idealsome (Tuesday, October 01, 2013), mysterious me (Friday, October 04, 2013)
Old Monday, September 30, 2013

Chintoo2010 will become famous soon enough

No Justice No Peace

crime will not end if criminals are not punished.

To have a crime-free society, justice has to be administered at any cost.

By letting criminals of capital punishment to live is same as letting a cancer tissue to remain alive and spread throughout body.

Cleansing is necessary.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chintoo2010 For This Useful Post:
Hanybee (Tuesday, October 01, 2013), Muhammad Rashad Anwaar (Friday, October 04, 2013), mysterious me (Friday, October 04, 2013)
Old Tuesday, October 01, 2013

idealsome is on a distinguished road

AOA,

If our religion and society approves capital punishment for henious crimes such as Murder etc we should support this law.

Think for a minute that even the murderer knows that he/she will be hanged to death for the crime which he committed yet the murderer commits it with confidence and somewhere in his/her mind thinks that the meager law of the country and police system can be adjustable according to his wishes.

What would you expect from the cunning criminals/murderers if capital punishment be ablolished from our judicial law???

The eye for an eye is totally acceptable and logical in case of social misbehaviours we see in our daily life, where women get killed in the name of honour, where mother,brother,uncle, father and other relatives get killed for dirty mere piece of land, where infant,babies and teenagers get raped by filthy morons of the society, where son of wealthy,resourceful landlord can kill any youngster over a trivial issues of quarrel or shouting etc.

In my personal opinion the spectrum of capital punishment should be broaden such as culprit of rape cases,honour killings,killings where individual kills just to show his dominance over the society on the basis of wealth,resources etc all should be given severe death penalties so that our society represent rule of law withour discrimination.

regards
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to idealsome For This Useful Post:
Hanybee (Tuesday, October 01, 2013), Invincible (Tuesday, October 01, 2013), mysterious me (Friday, October 04, 2013), Sarfraz Ali (Friday, October 11, 2013)
43rd CTP (PSP)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2014 - Merit 27

daniyalahmed is on a distinguished road

Capital Punishment in Pakistan should be abolished at the earliest.

Reason # 1 : Our legal system is flawed. It is exceedingly difficult for a poor person to even register a case. Majority of the people, grind under the yoke of a law, that is there to protect the rich. The weak and the unprotected bear the brunt.

Case 1 : Raymond Davis case, received a lot of public attention. He willfully murdered two individuals, in the end by the overt and blatant use of Diyat and blood money, he was able to get away from Pakistan.

Case 2 : Shazeb Khan, murder case, this case also received a lot of attention. Eventually, the family has acquiesced in forgiving the convicted murderer.

In this context, it is apparent, that the rich and powerful easily manipulate the law in their favor. The local "mullahs" and religious leaders also provide a blanket cover in the name of religion. The need is to reinterpret religious edicts and prevent any loopholes. Also, efforts should be in place to prevent anyone from availing his position for reprieve.

Reason # 2 : Retributive justice or reformatory justice. Retributive justice is not in vogue, anywhere in the world. Retributive justice means, that in order to avenge murder, you are taking a life. The victim has already perished, his life has been wasted. The best coarse is to reform the perpetrator, educate him,enlighten him.

Capital punishment is an archaic practice, it should be done away with. Society should be reformed and not punished for it's sins.

Disclaimer : Please be open - minded to read this message, if you are not kindly do not read it.

All religions teach love, humanity, affection and peace. However, religion has always been manipulated by certain people. Religion has been contorted and twisted to serve certain vested interests. The world is not run on religious grounds, it's now being run on scientific grounds. Science should determine our coarse of action. Logical thinking, pragmatic decision making should be the perimeters of determining, which coarse of action best suits us.

In Pakistan, even murderers are given reprieve "in the name of god". This happens nowhere in the world. Not only the rich in Pakistan "twist" Law in their favor, they also do the same thing with religion. As a result, only a few take advantage, while the majority suffers.

Pakistan has "NO JUDICIAL SYSTEM". The adage says, "Justice delayed is Justice denied". In Pakistan, corruption starts right from the filing of the FIR. The police officers, take their bribe, even to file an FIR. If you are rich i.e. a politician, a bureaucrat or a big shot business man, you can easily "change" the FIR. Then comes, the courts. Right from the reader, to the Judge take bribery. They will either try to prevent hearings by giving huge delays in hearing. Everyone is involved in this racket. You can even purchase a judge. There are certain lawyers, who use "agent" or Lawyers, they are referred by the judges. The client pays exorbitant fees to the lawyer. The Lawyer in turn, provides "services" to the judge. That's how our legal system works. We have no "justice". We live in a country, where the rule of the jungle operates, " Might is right". This is a reality. This is a sad fact.

I ask all people who defend capital punishment on religious grounds, to please at least pay a visit to session courts and civil courts. Even a railway station, is better then "awan e adil". How you expect justice in this flawed system?

This debate is such a nonsense. We are killing people, for no reason. Just because they are poor and unprotected, we are putting noose around their necks and killing them in the name of justice. Pakistan is a country, where a sitting Prime Minister, Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, was hanged by Zia ul Haq by a kangaroo court. Even, Justice Nasim Hasan Shah, said that, you cannot hang anyone based on circumstantial evidence. Even, ZAB, an ex - PM, got rough end of the stick. What about ordinary people?

People like Raymond Davis and Shahrukh Jatoi, are freed on Diyat. The clerics and mollahs, support these actions, as according to them it is in line with Islamic edicts. Rational people say, that no religion can condone murder. Diyat or blood money, is only for accidental murder. In Pakistan, even a convict, can file for forgiveness under this law.

Hence, we can conclude that Pakistan is not run on scientific basis. It is run on religious edicts, which are twisted and contorted by the rich and powerful. The rich and powerful either bribe molvis and get "fatwas" in their favor. Whereas, innocent people are murdered.

Before abolishing capital punishment, we have to

1. Have some sort of a legal system. We don't have any law.Our legal, judicial and bureaucratic machinery is infested with corruption.

2. We need to have educated people. Who can understand society and run it on scientific basis. Our problems are new, we should study our problems. Each year, billions of rupees are wasted on keeping an army. An army, that has violated constitution, not once, not twice but four times. The basic law of the land, is the constitution. Pakistanis feed the army, through their tax, but our martial law dictators, with full support of the armed forces, proclaim martial law. Martial law means no law. Zia Ul Haq, promulgated, ludicrous ordinance during his rule like Hudood ordinace, Blashpemy law etc. He even, tortured people and encouraged judicial murders. Pervez Musharraf, sold people for dollars. In the absence of constitution,no law can prevail. First, of all our army should appreciate civil government and stop meddling with its affairs. Law and order, comes only ,when constitution is enforce.

We have to understand, that we have no law in Pakistan. First, of all, we should address this basic issue, only then we are fit to talk about capital punishment. At present, considering the amount of oppression, illiteracy and ignorance in Pakistan. Law is a mistress in the hands of the rich.

Last edited by Gotam; Wednesday, October 02, 2013 at 12:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to daniyalahmed For This Useful Post:
mysterious me (Friday, October 04, 2013)
PMS / PCS Award: Serving PMS / PCS (BS 17) officers are eligible only. - Issue reason: PMS -  Merti 5

kal3m will become famous soon enoughkal3m will become famous soon enough

A very good topic and after reading the views above mentioned, thanks to God that there are some people still on the surface of earth who didn't lost their mind. I astonish on reading the articles by veteran journalists, human rights advocates and lawyers, both indigenous and foreigners, who are against capital punishment. The main reasons they put in their articles are:
1- Our justice system is not flawless and many a time a punishment is given to a person who does not deserve.
2- If we would start to follow the rule of an eye for an eye, all of the world would become blind and without their limbs. Some without hands, others without foot etc.
3- Everyone deserves a chance, and If a person is ashamed of what he did, why he should be punished or hanged. Mean if he has changed his attitude and behavior towards crime why not he should be given a chance to live a happy new life.
4- How is it possible that capital punishment would reduce the crime rates. It can't prevent people from doing evil.

These are their major reasons. Well first of all I would like to put some light over Islamic teachings.

1- Islam and Quran tell us that we are the vicegerent of Allah Almighty, I would like to ask in our mundane businesses, is it permissible for an agent to act against the limits drawn by his principal or boss? None of the law permits it, same is the case with our constitution, according to it the sovereign ruler is Allah Almighty and He had vested power to the rulers. So, is it legally permissible for a ruler to go beyond the limits defined by Allah, the sovereign according to our constitution? Here, some would say what is about Ijtihad, I would like to clear that we can't change the Islamic punishments and those principles which are absolute in Quran and Traditions, yes we can do ijtihad in their implementation, we can do Qiyas to meet our new requirements, but to abolish a rule, that is not Ijtihad.
2- Reasons behind these tough punishments, I read somewhere that Abu Al Aála Maududi gave a very logical reason behind these tough punishments, he said that these are the sins mostly people do in the absence of masses i.e. murder, adultery or rape, theft etc. And if existing government does not implement the Hadoods, these evils would spread very quickly among the people. Therefore, the punishments are very hard and tough.
3- If we go through the traditions in which companions were punished for their crimes we would learn that even Prophet S.A.W.W tried His best to send them away so that they can beg the forgiveness from Allah. I would like to discuss three events, a woman who came to Prophet S.A.W.W herself after she committed adultery, Prophet S.A.W.W said her to go till you give a birth to a baby, interestingly she came and was carrying a baby in her arms (level of their belief), Prophet said go again and feed the baby and do not return till it would be able to eat a piece of bread by itself, it is in the tradition that she returned after mere 6 months. We all know that the period for feeding a child is 2 years, she had a reason to stay at home till than, but she returned and baby was holding a piece of bread, as she had taught the baby how to eat. Prophet S.A.W.W asked the companions who would take care of the baby, one took it into his custody, it was the same woman about whom Khalid R.A used harsh words during stoning her, and Prophet S.A.W.W reprimanded him and said that if her forgiveness would be distributed among all Madinites all would go to Heaven. In other tradition, a young man came to Prophet and said that he had committed adultery, Prophet S.A.W.W turned His face away from him, he came from that side and confessed again Prophet again did the same thing, the man too kept doing it and Prophet too, till he confessed four times, than Prophet said Abubakar to smell his mouth if he is drunk, he smelled and said no he is not drunk, than Prophet asked him if he is insane, he negated. In other event a person was when being stoned by companions he ran, companions also followed him, when they told that he ran from the punishment, Prophet replied why not you let him run away..

Now come to the objections raised by our myopic intellectuals,
1- Justice system is full of flaws: Ok, why not we try to make it flawless? Is it sensible if someone is complaining of ache in his stomach, and doctor prescribes him to not eat at all? Flaw is with our system and we are saying that capital punishment should be abolished. And we all know how much corrupt our lawyers are, few honorable exceptions would be there. I would like to relate Hazrat Umar's words, a thief was brought to him, Hazrat Umar ordered to cut the hand of that thief, he begged that it is my first time please give me another chance. H. Umar replied with golden words "Allah never bring the first sin or crime of any person before the masses" and that thief confessed that it was not his first time.
2-Rule of an eye for eye. It is a lame excuse, when there is a writ of government, criminal knows that he would be punished right after he commits he would think thousands of time before doing any vicious act.
3-The traditions are enough for the third objection, Was Prophet S.A.W.W not aware of his companions when he himself said about the woman that she has been forgiven by Allah. Why he didn't let her go? Even Prophet does not have a right to change the ordains of Allah, we all have heard that tradition in which a female named Fatima was brought to Prophet for a justice after she did a crime of theft. Prophet ordered to cut her hand, people of her tribe came to Prophet and asked for forgiveness, He said that "By God, if my daughter Fatima would have done the same crime I would have done the same with her". So it is very clear that He didn't give a second chance to anyone.
4- Punishments reduce the crime rates. It is tested by time. And history is enough evidence of this.

Interestingly, in China if someone kills a panda he is punished by death penalty, So, I think the value of human blood is now less than that animal.... As never heard or read any intellectual writing or speaking against that law.
mysterious me (Friday, October 04, 2013), soniagondal56 (Friday, October 04, 2013)
43rd CTP (PSP)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2014 - Merit 27

@ above, utter nonsense Kalam

Children in school were subjected to corporal punishment. They were beaten, black and blue. But, now we realize that positive reinforcement is much better then negative reinforcement. When, Society kills an individual, even for a murder, it has recognized that there is no way, it can reform a murderer. Society should take responsibility. We should take responsibility. Why do people commit murder? Why do people commit adultery? We should answer these questions. Primary reason for murder is " inadequate resources", poor education and disrespect for human life. We live in a poor country, but we like to have a lot of babies, we are resource starved. Our economy cannot sustain 180 million people, plus we have an exorbitant defense budget, we do not invest in education. With education, comes sociologists, psychologist etc, who can serve society. A sociologist, keeps track of social change, a psychologist ensures mental hygiene of society. That's how modern society curtail crime. The encourage fewer children. Fewer children mean, more resources for the child, more time for child and more more attention of parents during formative stages. But, our Islamic scholars are against birth control. More education means more sociolgists who can run society on scientific basis, how will study cause and effect relationship. But, where will our islamic people and religious scholars go then? Eat grass? hence they discourage education.

There is no evidence, that punishments deter crime. NEVER. Scientific societies like scandanavians countries are least religious and they have least crimes. Please come up with facts. Punishments actually increase crimes. LOVE is the solution and not hate.
43rd CTP (PSP)

killing people in the name of capital punishment would not do any good.

1. The purpose is not vengeance. The purpose of punishment is to limit, deviant behavior in society. For example Ashraf kills Rafique. Now, Rafique is dead, he is history. The rational behind putting Ashraf to death, was to make him an example for others, that killing other without any reason, is disruptive to society. Hence, through this gruesome way, societal control was exercised.

However, this is both naive and ancient approach to solve social problems. In this day and age, sociologist actively gather data about, crimes and then provide solutions to social problems. thus, reducing incidents of crime. The real issue is CRIME and not criminal. Society needs to control CRIME, individual criminal has little importance to society.

the old, ancient and archaic approach was to kill people, if they had killed. The result was that an example was set, and people were terrified, that killing, would result in their death, hence, they refrained from killing. But, this method, failed to eliminate CRIME. It only lessened it.

Sociologist study incidents of crime, conduct research on data and then seek patterns.

For example, some murders may be done by people with troubled family history, others would have murdered due to less resources. Sociologist study various reasons, and then provide remedies. Isn't this a better approach? Our problem is CRIME and not criminal. It's like a person is suffering from fever due to cancer. We put him in a cold room, allow his temperature to fall, and then claim, that person is alright. We have addressed the symptoms, we have not cured the reason. Hence, even though we can punish criminal ( an expression of a disease of society) but, we fail or ignore to address the real causes that lead to the "creation of criminals".

For example, in US, there was a massive financial scam worth billion of dollars called Enron Scandal. After this fraud was unveiled, US ensured that children in universities are taught about this scandal, and ethics course was specially included in the syllabus. this is how, educated, enlightened societies handles CRIME. They eradicate crime, not the criminal. Keep on killing criminals, as long you don't address the root causes of crime, criminals will keep on springing.

Regards,
Old Wednesday, October 02, 2013
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,572 Times in 792 Posts
Invincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud ofInvincible has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniyalahmed View Post
@ above, utter nonsense Kalam.

This is an improper way to argue. Learn to respect others view.

Quote:
We should take responsibility. Why do people commit murder? Why do people commit adultery? We should answer these questions. Primary reason for murder is " inadequate resources", poor education and disrespect for human life. We live in a poor country, but we like to have a lot of babies, we are resource starved. Our economy cannot sustain 180 million people, plus we have an exorbitant defense budget, we do not invest in education. With education, comes sociologists, psychologist etc, who can serve society. A sociologist, keeps track of social change, a psychologist ensures mental hygiene of society. That's how modern society curtail crime. The encourage fewer children. Fewer children mean, more resources for the child, more time for child and more more attention of parents during formative stages.

Quote:
killing people in the name of capital punishment would not do any good.

1. The purpose is not vengeance. The purpose of punishment is to limit, deviant behavior in society. For example Ashraf kills Rafique. Now, Rafique is dead, he is history. The rational behind putting Ashraf to death, was to make him an example for others, that killing other without any reason, is disruptive to society. Hence, through this gruesome way, societal control was exercised.

However, this is both naive and ancient approach to solve social problems. In this day and age, sociologist actively gather data about, crimes and then provide solutions to social problems. thus, reducing incidents of crime. The real issue is CRIME and not criminal. Society needs to control CRIME, individual criminal has little importance to society.

the old, ancient and archaic approach was to kill people, if they had killed. The result was that an example was set, and people were terrified, that killing, would result in their death, hence, they refrained from killing. But, this method, failed to eliminate CRIME. It only lessened it.

Sociologist study incidents of crime, conduct research on data and then seek patterns.

For example, some murders may be done by people with troubled family history, others would have murdered due to less resources. Sociologist study various reasons, and then provide remedies. Isn't this a better approach? Our problem is CRIME and not criminal. It's like a person is suffering from fever due to cancer. We put him in a cold room, allow his temperature to fall, and then claim, that person is alright. We have addressed the symptoms, we have not cured the reason. Hence, even though we can punish criminal ( an expression of a disease of society) but, we fail or ignore to address the real causes that lead to the "creation of criminals".

For example, in US, there was a massive financial scam worth billion of dollars called Enron Scandal. After this fraud was unveiled, US ensured that children in universities are taught about this scandal, and ethics course was specially included in the syllabus. this is how, educated, enlightened societies handles CRIME. They eradicate crime, not the criminal. Keep on killing criminals, as long you don't address the root causes of crime, criminals will keep on springing.

Regards,
Lets talk through statistics.

Top Three Economies of the World are:-

1. USA:- 504 death executions took place from 2007 to 2012.

2. CHINA:- Thousands executions (No one knows exact figure due to its secrecy)

3. JAPAN:- 108 executions (2007 to 2012).

It is an answer to your points (underlined above)

Give me any justification for Gang Rapists & Serial Killers.

I expect rational response.

Regards,
Old Wednesday, October 02, 2013
43rd CTP (PSP)

Wrong interpretation and presentation of facts @ invincible.

USA, Japan and China are not the best countries. They might be the biggest economies, but they are not the ideal countries to look upto. A better tool is to see the Human Development Index, standard of living index etc. The Scandinavian countries like Denmark, Sweden have always fared better then US or China, they were the first countries to prohibit capital punishment.

Now, coming back to your query.

In US 18 states have already abolished capital punishment, 32 other states still retain capital punishment. However, the number of states abolishing capital punishment is on the rise.

States in US, which have prohibited capital punishment.
Alaska (1957)
Connecticut (2012)1
Hawaii (1957)
Illinois (2011)
Iowa (1965)
Maine (1887)
Maryland (2013)1
Massachusetts (1984)2
Michigan (1846)
Minnesota (1911)
New Jersey (2007)
New Mexico (2009)
New York (2007)2
North Dakota (1973)
Rhode Island (1984)
Vermont (1964)
West Virginia (1965)
Wisconsin (1853)

As seen, conneticut was the last state, that abolished capital punishment in 2012.

China, has a poor human rights record, it's still a poor third world country. China, may have an economy of 9 trillion dollars, but it's purchasing power parity is only 6000 dollars. It means that China is still developing. It is not a fully functional democracy. It has communist party in power. Hence, China cannot be used as a defense ploy in support of capital punishment. It's an evolving country, and yet, to attain the status of a developed country.

Japan has a very limited number of capital punishment, which are progressively decreasing.

The trend is against capital punishment and not in it's favor. Majority of the countries have shunned capital punishment. But, unfortunately in Pakistan, we defend capital punishment.