Friday, May 03, 2024
04:48 AM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Yasir Hayat Khan is on a distinguished road
Arrow How to curb anti-federation sentiments??

• The authors of Lahore Resolution of March 1940 defined as their ideal states in which the provincial units were to be autonomous, independent and sovereign.

• The task of establishing a federation demanded the preparation of a constitution to define the powers the federating units would concede to the federal centre. This responsibility was not addressed in a straightforward manner……

• When at last a constitution was finalized it involved the disappearance of the federating units in the western wing in favour of a politically monstrosity called one unit and one of the consequences was the denial of Balochistan’s right to rule by its elected representatives for 25 years of independence. Later on the debate on the federal question was limited to bargaining with East Bengal. Ending with the debacle of 1971.

• The 1973 Constitution revealed a significant attempt to begin building a federation but the promise that the concurrent list would be canceled never came to reality. The NFC (National Finance Commission) Award still needs to be settled amicably. As regards the Council of Common Interest, unfortunately there is little to write home about it. Furthermore, we never had a genuine Parliamentary System… over the last few years the political system has been changed from Parliamentary to Presidential without the constitution or the law having said so in clear words.

• The origin of anti-federation mindset can be traced in three things, the religion based ideology, the security lobby and the feudal vested interest.

• The way Islamic belief has been interpreted in Pakistan if offers little quarter to federation….. In a country suffering from security syndrome it becomes impossible to challenge the slogan of unity of command, in other words the slogan of all power to the centre….. Pakistan’s political structure is still dominated by feudal norms and they are unlikely to sweat for federal principles.

• Kalabagh controversy or the confrontation in Balochistan reveal the working of the anti-federation mindset………..

I want views from all of you, as to how can we curb this anti-federation sentiment? what should be done to give the provinces their rightful share from national income and resources? And on what principles this division should be based upon?

PLEASE GIVE ME A GENUINE RESPONSE……. As this is an important question from the examination point of view as well.
Old Sunday, January 22, 2006
37th Common
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2008 - Merit 120

Adil Memon is just really niceAdil Memon is just really niceAdil Memon is just really niceAdil Memon is just really nice

Salaam,

You've posed a nice question. It demands a lengthy answer. I will try to be brief and precise.

1) I disagree with your point that religious lobby has played a role in promotion of anti-federalism. They are not that strong politically to make a difference. The only hold they have, is NWFP, in Balochistan they form a coalition government. (If you have justifications for your statement, please present them. It will be informative for me.)

Now trying to answer your question:

1) In true federal government, the centre is assigned authority over minimal spheres like foreign affairs, communication etc. But in Pakistan, that isn't the truth. It needs to be changed.

2) Military coups should be prevented. They try to turn government into hyper-presidential ones i.e. extremely unitary.

3) Equality should be maintained in distribution of seats in the key assembly so that no unit of the federation tries to become a big brother. (Take the case of America here. Senate has more authority and accepts 2 members from each State of the federation). A similar structure of National Assembly should be proposed.

In the end... I would request you to read Mujeeb's Six Point Agenda. That's a true model of federation.

Regards,

PS: I will look forward to write more on this issue.

Adil Memon
Police Service of Pakistan (P.S.P)
37th Common Training Program