Thursday, May 09, 2024
04:38 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Friday, January 14, 2011
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,807 Times in 836 Posts
Call for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud of
Default Can Pakistan rid itself of religious fanaticism?

Can Pakistan rid itself of religious fanaticism?
By Fareed Zakaria

Pakistan has long been troubled, but last week's assassination of Salman Taseer, the country's most courageous liberal politician, has shone a new and harsh light on those troubles. I had always believed that ultimately, Pakistan's governing elite was in charge, its military would not allow the country to crumble, and its nuclear arsenal was safe. After last week, I am not so sure.

The most frightening aspect of Taseer's assassination was that it was carried out by one of his bodyguards, who belonged to an elite unit of the Punjab police trained specifically to fight terrorists. Mumtaz Qadri told his colleagues that he was going to gun down the governor. Not one of them stopped him or informed anyone. The other guards watched as Qadri riddled Taseer's body with more than 20 bullets and then calmly put down his gun. Reports have emerged that Qadri's extremist views were known by his superiors and had been reported to higher authorities, but he remained in his job.

It was not the first attack to support the conclusion that jihadists are infiltrating Pakistan's military, whose long-standing support for militant Islam has created a Frankenstein's monster. When Pervez Musharraf was president, he survived two assassination attempts by army and air force officers. One of them, Ilyas Kashmiri, a former army commando who has become an al-Qaeda operative, is thought by U.S. intelligence to be as deadly a terrorist leader as Osama bin Laden. In 2007, a Pakistani army officer carried out a suicide bombing against the Pakistani army's elite Special Services Group.

Just as troubling is that in the wake of the assassination, Pakistan's liberals and moderates have been silent and scared. Taseer's only ally in parliament, Sherry Rehman, has gone underground. While mullahs, politicians and even some journalists openly declare that Taseer's murder was justified because of his liberal views, few speak out in support of him. That is the dilemma of Pakistan's society: Islamic extremist parties have never gotten more than a few percent of the public's votes, yet elites bow to the bigots. Taseer was a charismatic and popular politician. His enemies were unelected thugs. He had the votes, but they had the guns. Ever since the 1970s, when then-dictator Muhammad Zia ul-Haq decided that the military gained credibility by allying with Islamic radicals, the country's political institutions have been deeply compromised by extremism.And there is the challenge for Biden. He must tell Pakistan's rulers that this is their moment of truth. They have to go on the offensive and rid their country of the cancer of religious fanaticism. Biden should make clear that the United States supports the democratically elected government, those who urge moderation and peace and those who are willing to fight terrorism. American influence in Islamabad is considerable and played a constructive role in shoring up support for the civilian government last week.

Pakistan's generals protest that they are fighting terrorists and that the best proof is that they are taking casualties. True. At the highest levels, the military understands that it has to fight Islamic militants. But it continues to try to make distinctions among the terrorists, wavers in its determination and remains obsessed with gaining strategic depth abroad - while its country is going up in flames.

Consider the Afghan Taliban, whose leadership is entirely in the North Waziristan region bordering Afghanistan. The Pakistani army has refused to attack any groups associated with it, claiming to be stretched thin. In fact, Pakistan's generals still believe that the only way to have influence in Afghanistan is through the Taliban, with which they have had a 20-year partnership.

If Pakistan cannot reverse its downward spiral, the U.S. effort in Afghanistan is doomed. As long as the Taliban and al-Qaeda remain secure and supported in their sanctuaries in Pakistan, progress in Afghanistan will always be temporary. The Taliban could easily withdraw into its Pakistani bases, allow U.S. troops to draw down later this year and then return, rested and rearmed, to renew the battle against the Kabul government. At that point, the United States will face the choice of being forced into another "surge" or continuing the drawdown in the face of a rising Taliban.

http://www.fareedzakaria.com/home/Ar...anaticism.html

Usman Cheema is a glorious beacon of lightUsman Cheema is a glorious beacon of lightUsman Cheema is a glorious beacon of lightUsman Cheema is a glorious beacon of lightUsman Cheema is a glorious beacon of lightUsman Cheema is a glorious beacon of light

Biased article, the sole purpose of it seems to be criticizing the Pakistan's Army instead of appreciating its role against terrorism.

Regards,

mjkhan is a name known to allmjkhan is a name known to allmjkhan is a name known to allmjkhan is a name known to allmjkhan is a name known to allmjkhan is a name known to all

this article represents only one side of the picture(biased as said by mr. usman)...why PAK is not stretching its operation in fata is becuse of two reasons...

1.lack of resources plus due to its strategic approach to counter terrorism and sweeping them out in phases

2.as pointed out in the article that PAK wants to have influnce on afghanistan through jihadis or taliban....but that is justified as we can not leave afghanistan on the mercy of U.S or more specially india who is increasing its influence over there plus conducting an anti PAKISTAN move from there...we got to have some neutralizing factor in our hands which is unfortunately at the moment is taliban network...plus the real war would start after U.S leaves afghanistan and india and iran would aid northern alliance(which is anti PAK)..in this situation we can only play our game in afghanistan through taliban

all this dirty game should come to an end but for this all players have to surrender..becuse PAK would remain in trouble as long as afghanistan is not stable..infact the whole region could not be at its best without afghanistanz stabilization
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Call for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud ofCall for Change has much to be proud of

Surely it is a biased article and i posted to show how biased is the portrayal of "War on Terror and Role of Pakistan" in western media . As, Farid Zarkia is a renowned journalist worldwide and his program GPS on CNN has v high viewer ship, it shows the kind of mentality of media, government and common ppl in West.
Yup, one thing is for sure that Pakistan is not fighting this war in Love of Afghans but actually we have many Geo strategic benefits in that area. Both India and Pakistan are trying to get hold of the region, and to penetrate in the roots of Afghan system. But I think we should stop this dirty game of benefits in Afghanistan .

Usman Cheema is a glorious beacon of lightUsman Cheema is a glorious beacon of lightUsman Cheema is a glorious beacon of lightUsman Cheema is a glorious beacon of lightUsman Cheema is a glorious beacon of lightUsman Cheema is a glorious beacon of light

Definitely Pakistan is not fighting this war in the love of Afghans but for her own stability. Pakistan has to care for her Geo strategic benefits, it is the matter of our stability and there is no shame in doing that every country does so. And I don't think so that Pakistan is trying to penetrate into the Afghan's roots infact what we are trying to do is to make Afghanistan a stable and strong ally (although I am not sure that whether in reality we are doing so or not) as a healthy Afghanistan is too very much important for Pakistan. Whereas, India's interest is limited to have strong lobby in Afghanistan supporting Indian cause so that Pakistan can be putted under pressure.

Regards,

mjkhan is a name known to allmjkhan is a name known to allmjkhan is a name known to allmjkhan is a name known to allmjkhan is a name known to allmjkhan is a name known to all

zahan ma general hameed gul ki aik baat a gai jo k somewhat related hai PAK india game sa on afghanistan

indian military and intelligence agencies have a doctrine which is as follows

"your neighbour is your enemy and the neighbour of your neighbour is your friend"

and this is indeed true regarding indians as we see that they do not have good relations with any of there neighbours namely PAK,CHINA,BANGLADESH,SRILANKA and may be nepal,mayammar and maldives too are included in the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usman Cheema View Post
Definitely Pakistan is not fighting this war in the love of Afghans but for her own stability. Pakistan has to care for her Geo strategic benefits, it is the matter of our stability and there is no shame in doing that every country does so. And I don't think so that Pakistan is trying to penetrate into the Afghan's roots infact what we are trying to do is to make Afghanistan a stable and strong ally (although I am not sure that whether in reality we are doing so or not) as a healthy Afghanistan is too very much important for Pakistan. Whereas, India's interest is limited to have strong lobby in Afghanistan supporting Indian cause so that Pakistan can be putted under pressure.

Regards,
Usman Cheema to some extent u r right dear. But u know i was part of a student exchange program for students of Pakistan, India and Afghanistan. This program was meant to promote peace and dialogue among these countries During that program i came to know the real game. Afghanistan is the only strategic depth for Pakistan and Pakistani agencies specially ISI had v strong role in consolidating the Tilban regime coz they were pro -Pakistan. And still our agencies are helping and rescuing the Taliban in backdrop coz they know after U.S withdrawal Taliban are going to fill the vacuum. Yes, we have to right to secure our benefits but not on the cost of innocent Afghans. Go, and ask from the youngsters Afghans , they would better tell u how annoyed they are by the interference of Pakistan in their country. They want us to leave them on their own.
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2010 - Roll number 6338

JazibRoomi has a spectacular aura aboutJazibRoomi has a spectacular aura about

I did not find anything biased in this article and i think one needs to be filled with prejudices not to find impartiality in this version. This is because everything he wrote about, be it religious fanaticism in our society, Taliban safe heavens on Pakistani territory, and Pak army least interest in wiping out these extremist hide outs, is a ground, though bitter, reality.

mtariqafridi@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call for Change View Post
Usman Cheema to some extent u r right dear. But u know i was part of a student exchange program for students of Pakistan, India and Afghanistan. This program was meant to promote peace and dialogue among these countries During that program i came to know the real game. Afghanistan is the only strategic depth for Pakistan and Pakistani agencies specially ISI had v strong role in consolidating the Tilban regime coz they were pro -Pakistan. And still our agencies are helping and rescuing the Taliban in backdrop coz they know after U.S withdrawal Taliban are going to fill the vacuum. Yes, we have to right to secure our benefits but not on the cost of innocent Afghans. Go, and ask from the youngsters Afghans , they would better tell u how annoyed they are by the interference of Pakistan in their country. They want us to leave them on their own.
Call for Change,I agree with you upto some extent,but still from your above arguments some questions arises in my mind.If you could pleas clear it for me...

1.Taliban were Pro-Pakistan.....Are they still ?.

2. If they are still Pro-Pakistan,Why are random blasts throughout Pakistan in close reaction to Military Operations in different parts of the country.

If they have changed their strategy to Anti Pakistan....Again it needs to be clear that what were the causes to change their mind set up.

3.As we repeat the statement on all forums that "War on terror" is fight for our own safeguard,but at the same time we(Pak Int Agencies) are helping to secure them (Taliban++)..... those against to whom we are bearing and sacrificing a lot of casualties from our bleoved security officials/soldiers.Is it Logical ?.

4.We are securing our interest on the blood of innocents ppl of trible areas as well.Its difficult to understood that Pakistan has always criminalised FATA to be benefited for the rest of its dwellers,but its high ups never thought of FATA dwellers.Are tribles born to be exploided only ?.

I hope you may catch my point.I asked these question just for the sake of informations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtariqafridi@yahoo.com View Post
Call for Change,I agree with you upto some extent,but still from your above arguments some questions arises in my mind.If you could pleas clear it for me...

1.Taliban were Pro-Pakistan.....Are they still ?.

2. If they are still Pro-Pakistan,Why are random blasts throughout Pakistan in close reaction to Military Operations in different parts of the country.

If they have changed their strategy to Anti Pakistan....Again it needs to be clear that what were the causes to change their mind set up.

3.As we repeat the statement on all forums that "War on terror" is fight for our own safeguard,but at the same time we(Pak Int Agencies) are helping to secure them (Taliban++)..... those against to whom we are bearing and sacrificing a lot of casualties from our bleoved security officials/soldiers.Is it Logical ?.

4.We are securing our interest on the blood of innocents ppl of trible areas as well.Its difficult to understood that Pakistan has always criminalised FATA to be benefited for the rest of its dwellers,but its high ups never thought of FATA dwellers.Are tribles born to be exploided only ?.

I hope you may catch my point.I asked these question just for the sake of informations.

@Tariq Talibans and Mujaheedin are pro Pakistan as they are the product of ISI. We trained them in Afghan war. All highly recognized Taliban or Al Qaida leaders lived in Pakistan and they had close ties with the religious organizations as well as with the security agencies.
After military coup of Mushraf and his policy of Enlighten moderation things stated changing. He decided to be the US partner in this so called War on Terror but u know he was not willing to do so. When the incident of 9/11 occured the ISI chief was in U.S and he was asked to sign a 14 point charter which make us the ally of U.S or to get ready for dreadful consequences.
Musharaf was left with no choice , and this was the turning point. Pro-
Pakistan Taliban and the religious extremist in our society turned against the state and they challenged the writ of the state. U know most of the ppl who are the reason of chaos in society belong to the Pakistani version of Jahadist lie Lashkr-e-jhangvi etc. And u know still it is in the benefit of Pakistan if the Sunni Taliban rule Afghanistan coz they still don't want the Shia fraction of Afghanistan to lead the country and for this they need help of Pakistan. and Pakistan would definitely help them coz if the secularist lead Afghanistan they would first of all try to decrease the role of Pakistan in their country.
so, no doubt many of them have turned against Pakistan but the reson is drone attacks and ruthless killing of innocent ppl in Afghanistan and even in Pakistan tribal areas. Once US will leave the area u will see the hold of Talibans in Afghanistan and their ties with Pakistan. Pakistan's is fighting a war against it's own ppl not against the foreigners.