CSS Forums

CSS Forums (http://www.cssforum.com.pk/)
-   Discussion (http://www.cssforum.com.pk/general/discussion/)
-   -   Malala Yousafzai wins 2014 nobel peace prize (http://www.cssforum.com.pk/general/discussion/95646-malala-yousafzai-wins-2014-nobel-peace-prize.html)

emraankhattak Friday, October 10, 2014 02:39 PM

Malala Yousafzai wins 2014 nobel peace prize

OSLO: Teenage education activist Malala Yousafzai has jointly won the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize with Indian child rights activist Kailash Satyarthi for their work on promoting child rights , Express News reported.

Malala is the youngest Nobel Peace Prize winner and the second Pakistani to become a Nobel laureate after Abdus Salam who also shared the prize in 1979 with US nominee Steven Weinberg for physics.

“The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2014 is to be awarded to Kailash Satyarthi and Malala Yousafzai for their struggle against the suppression of children and young people and for the right of all children to education,” the jury said.

There was no clear frontrunner ahead of Friday’s Nobel Peace Prize announcement, with a Russian opposition newspaper, Tunisia’s democratic leadership, Pakistan schoolgirl Malala Yousafzai and Pope Francis among a record number of candidates.

As in previous years, the chairman of the Norwegian Nobel Committee, Thorbjoern Jagland, will reveal the laureate’s name at 0900 GMT at the Nobel Institute in Oslo.

The Nobel committee considered a record 278 candidates, but only those made public by their sponsors have been named.

The Nobel committee’s deliberations continued almost until the last minute and a decision wasn’t reached until last week, public broadcaster NRK reported.

The broadcaster, which sometimes but not always has been able to predict the winner, wrote on its website that Tunisia’s powerful UGTT workers union and President Moncef Marzouki were among this year’s favourites.

“Union can beat out Malala tomorrow,” it wrote on its website.

The UGTT was nominated for its role in Tunisia’s democratic transition, brokering political negotiations that resulted in a post-revolution constitution being signed.

Marzouki, a secular ally of the moderate party Ennahda, was chosen as president in Tunisia’s first election since dictator Zine El Abidine was toppled in 2011.

Pundits have also suggested that individuals or groups from the Russian opposition could be a popular choice for the Nobel Committee.

“Russia’s policy in Ukraine, annexing Crimea and questioning borders, but also the way the Kremlin treats dissenters cannot be ignored by the Nobel committee,” said Antoine Jacob, author of a history of the Nobel prizes.

For the Nobel committee president Thorbjoern Jagland, “sanctioning Moscow would… be a way to prove that he acts independently, since (Jagland) is (also) the Secretary General of the Council of Europe, which counts Russia as a member,” Jacob told AFP.

Co-founded by Mikhail Gorbachev in 1993 with part of his peace prize money, the pro-democracy Moscow newspaper Novaya Gazeta has been tipped as a possible laureate.

It is one of the few independent media outlets left in Russia and has seen several of its journalists murdered, including Anna Politkovskaya who exposed huge human rights abuses in Chechnya.

Pope Francis has become a bookmakers’ favourite for speaking out on poverty.

“Today everything comes under the laws of competition and the survival of the fittest, where the powerful feed upon the powerless,” the first Latin American pope argued in an exhortation last year.

Experts have cited Edward Snowden, the former intelligence analyst who revealed the extent of US global eavesdropping, as an outside candidate.

However, most experts say he would be a controversial choice for the 878,000-euro ($1.11-million) award.

Pakistani girls’ education campaigner Malala Yousafzai, a favourite last year, is once again being mentioned by observers although many say her young age makes her a somewhat less likely choice for the committee.

It could also increase the terror threat against the 17-year-old, who pushed Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan to meet with the parents of hundreds of girls who were kidnapped by the Islamist group Boko Haram.

Kristian Berg Harpviken, director of the Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO), a leading peace prize analyst and one of the few to publish a shortlist, put the peace group Japanese People Who Conserve Article 9 — which wants to maintain the Asian country’s anti-war constitution — in first place.

“We may have come to think of wars between states as virtually extinct after the end of the Cold War, but events in Ukraine and simmering tensions in East Asia remind us they may reappear,” he wrote.

Among the other main contenders was favourites were Congolese doctor Denis Mukwege, also tipped last year, who has treated female victims of sexual violence for the last 25 years, and the human rights activist Ales Bialiatski from Belarus, who was released from prison by the Russian-backed dictatorship in June
[url]http://tribune.com.pk/story/773258/malala-yousafzai-shares-nobel-peace-prize-with-indian-activist/[/url]

even odd Friday, October 10, 2014 04:36 PM

Malala Yousafzai - Facts

Malala Yousafzai

Born: 12 July 1997, Mingora, Pakistan

Residence at the time of the award: United Kingdom

Prize motivation: "for their struggle against the suppression of children and young people and for the right of all children to education"

Prize share: 1/2

:pipe

Kailash Satyarthi - Facts

Kailash Satyarthi

Born: 11 January 1954, Vidisha, India

Residence at the time of the award: India

Prize motivation: "for their struggle against the suppression of children and young people and for the right of all children to education"

Prize share: 1/2

Irtika Friday, October 10, 2014 08:04 PM

Malala wins noble prize ....!! happy day for us.!!

What the 17 she has done for Pakistan which no one could do. Today malala has made us proud.:bow

sincere khan Friday, October 10, 2014 08:24 PM

A very worst day for Pakistan. she is an Indian and Israeli agent . she is anti Pakistan. if you don't believe please read her book you will find every things

a very worst day for whole pakistani because she is anti pakistani please read her book you peoples will find every thing that what is wrong and what is good

hafiz mubashar Friday, October 10, 2014 08:37 PM

Well Done, Malala Yousafzai or we may say Malala of Pakistan. At least she made the country capable of winning Nobel Peace Prize. Otherwise we are allegedly considered a threat to world order, but she has won Nobel Peace Award. It's our duty now to come to the level of greatness ahere she has put us now. Thank You Malala.:thinking

[QUOTE=sincer khan;764686]A very worst day for Pakistan. she is an Indian and Israeli agent . she is anti Pakistan. if you don't believe please read her book you will find every things[/QUOTE]

:0 :onesec :hurt Although I don't want to be indulge in such frivolous talks- conspiracies against or regarding Malala, but we should be and we are proud of her. The reason is that she has won Nobel Prize for Pakistan. This will create our image as a brave, knowledge loving and peaceful country. This is the thing that we are lacking in utmost that our image in international community has been diminished. She has successfully created a better image for our country. There is no doubt that she will continue to do so in future and she will be remembered for it forever. Whenever the name of Malala will be called, it will be attached with Pakistan and not to America, India, Israel etc. etc.

sincere khan Friday, October 10, 2014 08:51 PM

My dear i was also support her during initial days but after reading her books and meet some close peoples then i changed my mind because she wrote a lot of wrong news about pakistan and specially pakhtoons. she wrote that peoples of pakisatan doesn't want girls education its totally wrong because in our province every years thousand girls graduated from different universities and colleges. we provide equal opportunities to girls. we give equal respect to girls but she blamed pakhtoon not talibans.

The Shah Ends Friday, October 10, 2014 08:56 PM

[QUOTE=sincer khan;764700]My dear i was also support her during initial days but after reading her books and meet some close peoples then i changed my mind because she wrote a lot of wrong news about pakistan and specially pakhtoons. she wrote that peoples of pakisatan doesn't want girls education its totally wrong because in our province every years thousand girls graduated from different universities and colleges. we provide equal opportunities to girls. we give equal respect to girls but she blamed pakhtoon not talibans.[/QUOTE]

Agreed :)
But bro if there comes a question regarding this in CA paper, then please do not write against her like this. Portray her as the leader of girls in your paper instead. :pp

Gypsified Friday, October 10, 2014 08:58 PM

I never cared much about the Nobel and who won it. But there is no sight more delightful than seeing a teenage girl making all the bigots and intellectually and morally degraded creatures bubbling with hatred and yelling obscenities. This certainly calls for celebrations. Cheers! (would absolutely love to read Orya Maqbool Jan's next column)

[QUOTE] she wrote that peoples of pakisatan doesn't want girls education its totally wrong[/QUOTE]

You've read the book, right? I have it with me right here, please go ahead and quote the passage where she said that the people of Pakistan don't want the education of girls.

Also, please educate us how is Malala an agent of Israel or America or Mars, whatever.

sincere khan Friday, October 10, 2014 09:10 PM

Please tell me that why UN didn't award Nobel prize to Gaza poor teachers and students when isreal was bombing on them why whats the reason. Malala case is not a big issue

Also, please educate us how is Malala an agent of Israel or America or Mars,

this place is not suitable for discussion if you want then meet with me you will know every things.

Gypsified Friday, October 10, 2014 09:16 PM

[QUOTE]this place is not suitable for discussion if you want then meet with me you will know every things.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Kamal kee baat ker di hay aap nain Khan sahab. Anyways, I'm waiting for the excerpt.

11:47 AM (GMT +5)

vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.