Sunday, April 28, 2024
11:57 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Yasir_Nasim is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Y not Urdu ?

AoA

Y cant we have urdu as a medium of education?
Since if we look at all the other stable economies and technologically advance countries of the world, parallel to Uk an US, e.g. :

Germany
France
Russia
Japan
China
Norway.

All of them have progressed by keeping the medium of education in thier own languages.

Some people argue that urdu's foundations are not succeptible to be modernized for the technical and modern subjects. I shall give them the example of chinese, which had about 4000 alphabets in the past, which are now reduced to about 1200, now. It still is the problem with many chinese people that they cannot interpret thier own handwriting the same way after some time.

Ur comments and syllogism is required in this regard.
Old Saturday, November 18, 2006

Abood is on a distinguished road

Well we got urdu for granted but in my opinion our ancestors made this big mistake by making urdu as our national language. If we look into this issue deeply pakistan have no relationship with urdu at all. The people in pakistan who speak urdu are not even more than 15 %. Our country was created in the name of islam and therefore, arabic should have been our national language cause it is more close to Islam then urdu. If not arabic then it should have been english as it is the international language.

Another advantage of that would have been total seperation from india, and its bollywood movies, anf their culture which is spreading very fast in our society.
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Best Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best ModMember of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: For the year 2007Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Thanked 3,082 Times in 760 Posts
Sureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to all

even i always think about this issue that why we are not comfort with our national language.urdu is just national language by name but there is no usage of urdu around pakistan.most of people use their province language (like punjabi,sindhi,balochi,pashtu etc) .when people were satisfy in their languages. so what was the reason that our ancestors gave preference to urdu as nation language.i m completely agree with abood point of view either our language should b arabic or english.

Najabat is on a distinguished road

With little agrrement to abood and sureshlasi stements i aslo like to mention some analytical points of the picture.

Well its 50+ years passed to our independence but still our minds are molded towards our colonials like we feel pride to educate our children in institutes Where medium of instruction is English!Though Britishers gave us splended work product like our Railway system is refined form of that was developed by Britishers,our famous canal system is also a post product of Britishers.Similarly our constitution also bears a strong impact from British laws.But root of the problem seems in issue that we got independence Physically but mentally we are still paralysed to follow Anglo people.Well language is also a part of it.

So First thing to comprehend people is that we have our own identities including our national language.I love the entirity of URDU myself.

Urdu hay jisss ka naam sabhi jaantay hay Daagh
Saaaray jahan may dhoom hamarii Zuban ki hay!

Secong important point is there is no problem in sceintific terms.Since we know that most of scientific terms are evolved from Greek and Latin.Their foundation is not English.

We also know that leader of the nation Muhammad Ali Jinnah also declared that "The language of Pakistan should only be Urdu."Dear Fellows its a symbol of our integrity so we should love our language.I Feel no problem to evolve Urdu as a medium of instruction in Education.The point is to have a common national love to our language.I also like to mention here to learn different languages is also very important,specially English,since English is recognized as international language.But importance of URDU can't be neglected in this scenario.I want to propose a soft solution for it that there should be opened New universities following International standards whose medium of instruction should be strictly Urdu.Its not needed to convert English mediums into Urdu.since they have their own importance.Finally love our identities since they identify us in the global world.
Best regards,
Old Thursday, December 07, 2006
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

I M Possible will become famous soon enough

Well it is up to us that how we explore our language. You know i also used to think that we should always use urdu and it should be our medium of education but my opine changed hen i did masters and when i started to prepare myself for css.

Well it was not that difficult for me to change my language to english but i was so sorry for urdu that why we cannot go for a revolution and strenghten our beloved urdu. May God help us out in this regard ... amin.

Regards
Old Friday, December 08, 2006

thinking is on a distinguished road

I would like to add my opinion about the points raised by our group members in this thread.

I agree with Abood and Sureshlasi that our ancestors made an error to declare urdu as our national language. I highly respect the Father of the Nation, but after all he was a human being and hence error prone.
let me tell u ppl that this was on of the major reasons that we last our east wing, now called Bangladesh. Juste for info, 22 february is the international mother tongue day? do u know why? in fact on 22 feb, 1952, east pakistani police killed students who were protesting that bangla should be declared the national language as well along with urdu.
In my knowledge, pakistan is the only country in the developed and developing countries, where national language is not a local language but a foreign language (brought from muslim populated areas of what is now baharat/india).
Some people argue that it is necessary to have just one national language, and that it is obligatory for national integrity. i say no.
Let me give u examples from the developed world. What is the national language of switzeland, austria and belgium. no just one national language.
let me elaborate on the switzerland issue. There are 65 % german ethnicity ppl, 20 % french and 11 percent ppl of italian ethnicity........logically the national language should have been german. but no, all the three languages are national languages, the students of each area are taught in their local language. Even sign boards, television channels and every thing is in local language in each area? so what do u think,,,,,switzerland is an unstable nation? is there no national uity? isnt it develped??

and ooooooooooo i forget the example of canada,,,,there is a small area in canada called quebec where french speaking ppl live,,and french is one of the national languages of canada;;;

one more point,,,,,,,,,,,,it is very unnatural and disturbing to impose another persons language on somebody;;;;;;;;;;let me give u ppl the example of my illiterate mother,,,,,,, when ever she sits in front of tv, she understand nothing, know nothing, and dont even know what is happening in the country and the news are in urdu / english,,,,,,????hasnt she any right to enjoy the world,,,,,,,,whenever she goes to a market, she dont know what is available in a shop as the lists are in urdu/english,,,,,,,,,,,,,now if every thing would have been in my mother tongue,,,,,,,,,she could understand every thing(most of the illiterate ppl can read, like a lot of illiterates read quran, so if a person can read and the writing is in his mother tongue, he is automatically a literate person although is has never studied school ),,,,,so if the education + social system is in ur mother tongue, u r aumatically a literate although u might not have gone to school, or just gone for a few years,,,,,,,,,,

To coclude the above analysis i would like to give u ppl an example of the definition of literacy,,,,,,,,,

before the arrival of English in INDO-PAK, more than 50% percent of ppl could rread and write persian (as that had been the national language for centuries)) when the english was declared official language,,,,,,,,,,the whole population turned illiterate in just one night,,,,,,,, including the great MIRZA Ghalib,,,,,,,,,,,,

and above all, u understand better, read better, and communicate easily in ur mother tongue,,,,,,

the last point(with apology to my urdu speaking brothers and sisters),,,,,,,,,,,urdu being the national language, they have automatically an advantage in an interview, as a compare, a an actor, singer, writer and so on and on,,,,,,,,and this is not just (justice require equality)

so the bottom line is that in each ethnic region, there should be the use of local language in schools, sign boards, television (currently the ptv in each provincial headquarter is under the authority of federal government and only 1 hour is given to regional language)............radio etc,,,,,,,,,,and i belive(repeat believe strong) that it will strengthen our unity as a nation as we will have a feeling that our country safeguard our mother tongue, and hence participate with full energy in the development of our beloved pakistan.
take care
Old Tuesday, December 12, 2006

thinking is on a distinguished road

I was expecting u ppl comments on this subject, but none yet,,,,,,,,,

asma chaudhary is on a distinguished road
Default assalamualikum,

" 22 february is the international mother tongue day? do u know why? in fact on 22 feb, 1952, east pakistani police killed students who were protesting that bangla should be declared the national language as well along with urdu."

i didn,t get this point, can you please explain this to me again?
also i am not getting that what will be the effect by declaring arabic /english as a national language. i dislike only one thing when people feel embaracement by using urdu as a medium of talking.
if i am wrong any where, please correct me.

jazakAllah khair
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

I M Possible will become famous soon enough
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by asma chaudhary
" 22 february is the international mother tongue day? do u know why? in fact on 22 feb, 1952, east pakistani police killed students who were protesting that bangla should be declared the national language as well along with urdu."

Well Pakistan had two wings till 1971. That must be clear to you. Bangalis wanted to have Bangla language as national language for pakistan and Others from west Pakistan wanted Urdu as national language. 22 Feb, 1952 is a memorable day when the violation against urdu incremented and students were being killed in response to their protest.

Quote:
i didn,t get this point, can you please explain this to me again?
also i am not getting that what will be the effect by declaring arabic /english as a national language. i dislike only one thing when people feel embaracement by using urdu as a medium of talking.
if i am wrong any where, please correct me.

jazakAllah khair
Well i am of the pine that we should follow the order of the day. If we have to use english as our conversation language then we should use it. but we need not to throw back our Urdu, we should use it wherever we find it good to use it. We should give equal importance to both languages. Example of China is before us, they never eel shy in using Chineses as edium of conversation but their english is also strong. They never hesitate to use it too.

Regards

Moon is on a distinguished road

It is very heart_rending to read that"Urdu is just of national language by name"and "our ancestors make it big mistake by making urdu as our national language".Well,it is ur point of view but in my view Urdu runs in our blood.it is right we use our mother tounge usually,and on international level English is major language.But it doesnot mean that Urdu has no importance.Urdu provides a plateform to all Pakistanies on national level as well as on international level,it is our deficincy that we give it second place in our officials and also in private matters but it is the most beautiful language of the world