Sunday, April 28, 2024
08:55 AM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Saturday, February 23, 2013

Rida Malik will become famous soon enough
Default Views about Taliban

I wanted to ask that what kind of opinion is generally favored in the exams? I have felt in general discussions that Pro Taliban approach is popular everywhere.
I am confused that i might have some views that might be controversial or against Taliban operations or their directive and I'm concerned that are these views going to get reduced marks or not? I mean i understand about neutral and positive views about controversial views on religion but this is a militant group which cant just blatantly be defended on all grounds which leads to a blind opinion so what am i supposed to do in 'exams'?

and what about views about Lashkar e Jhangvi?
Old Saturday, February 23, 2013
E M P O W E R

Gotam is a jewel in the roughGotam is a jewel in the roughGotam is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rida Malik View Post
I wanted to ask that what kind of opinion is generally favored in the exams? I have felt in general discussions that Pro Taliban approach is popular everywhere.
I am confused that i might have some views that might be controversial or against Taliban operations or their directive and I'm concerned that are these views going to get reduced marks or not? I mean i understand about neutral and positive views about controversial views on religion but this is a militant group which cant just blatantly be defended on all grounds which leads to a blind opinion so what am i supposed to do in 'exams'?

if your views are justified with forceful evidences, they are acceptable. Dont mess it up with popular notion or perception.
Muhammad T S Awan (Sunday, February 24, 2013)
Old Sunday, February 24, 2013

i do understand that but the other day we were getting this current affairs essay checked and the instructor was like this to another kid, you're siding with America on this? (in a mild disbelief tone) so i got confused. The popular view im not sure they support Talibans actions but theyre like Pakistan is better off if Taliban side with us and we're off USA support and for that they obviously are accepting and letting go of the atrocities committed by Taliban too which are by far at a larger scale then US led coalition forces so am i supposed to write that what theyre doing is not right but we got to see the bigger picture? that doesnt make sense to me.
I think i might have to dig deeper and understand more
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: AppreciationDiligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Thanked 2,264 Times in 1,100 Posts
Muhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant future

AoA

i). Better to side with Pakistan. Whatever one think is good for Pakistan -either supporting or de-supporting Taliban- one should write it down save with the support of valid arguments and logical reasoning.

ii). Perhaps Afghan Taliban are being referred in above posts. One needs to be specific in words if one is commenting upon Afghan Talibans or Pakistani Talibans (TTP factions, Sufi Muhammad Co etc.. ).. To be brief, Afghan Talibans are remnants of ex-Taliban regime at Afghanistan and includes Mullah Umar, Quetta Shura, Hikmatyar Company, Haqqani Group etc. They have concerns with/in Afghanistan and it is often said that they do not carry out any important /terrorist activity in Pakistani territory except for taking refuge.

iii). Pakistani Talibans are the people who have waged war against Pakistani government and army etc. Flash areas include FATA (Waziristan, Orakzai, Kurram, Khyber, Bajur etc) and Malakand Division (particularly Swat District).

iv). From Pakistani context, various people are having differing opinions about Afghan Taliban pleading them on the notion of strategic depth, linking them to Pakistan's stakes at Afghanistan etc.

v). As far as Pakistani Taliban are concerned, it is hoped that you are already clear about it. Go for the thing which is striking in your mind and dont worry that examiner will give you less marks on writing against them, with coherent strong points, you can get good marks.

Regards
mhmmdkashif (Sunday, February 24, 2013), Rida Malik (Sunday, February 24, 2013), zedora (Monday, February 25, 2013)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,122 Times in 674 Posts
mhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud of

Just be careful don't entangle Taliban with entire Islam and bash Taliban view and practice of religion as much as you like . Like for example women's rights in Islam and the way Taliban implement it, you can argue that Islam is much more honorable and compassionate towards woman than the way Taliban make it look like would be a fair argument; but if you go like woman are equal to man in all respects (as feminists say it) and Taliban are cruel in enforcement of Islam, ofcourse such notion would hurt a conservative mind because after all Islam doesn't form an egalitarian state between man and woman (as liberals want it), adopting such a stance would bash both Taliban and basic Islamic teachings.......... . You would need a thorough an indepth knowledge of history and religion if you want to take on Taliban in your exams . Arguable, however some of the things that Taliban do really are part of Islamic teachings, but their approach towards its implementation is very barbaric and that is what you need to point out.
Muhammad T S Awan (Sunday, February 24, 2013), Rida Malik (Sunday, February 24, 2013), zedora (Monday, February 25, 2013)
Old Monday, February 25, 2013

Default History & interpretation

I understand that, i know i have to research much more before i can develop an opinion but yes, that was my intention, the barbarian way with which theyre trying to implement their rule more than the religion. For now i think religion is being manipulated as a reason for unanimous rule, i might be wrong.

And yes, i know there are different cadres of Taliban but essentially the ideology is the same which originates from 'takfiri' which i am researching now a days as to better understand the motives and so forth.

For Pakistan Taliban, the power game is obvious again, as for their difference, origin of each of them is still revolving somewhere around Pakistan so i guess for all intents and purposes ill say the difference is only demographic and regional and thats that.

As for the probable amnesty given to Taliban, then again i am concluding that i would have to given logical reasoning at the end that Taliban are after all our ally's and we rely on them for support against a lot of political power factors so they are to be sided but with caution?

There must be a necessity of watchful control over their actions though, possible or not, this cant just all white-ly be accepted can it be?
Muhammad T S Awan (Monday, February 25, 2013)

safeemailk will become famous soon enoughsafeemailk will become famous soon enough
Default Input regarding Talibn stance

Quote:

Rida...
Do not be confused while framing your opinion regarding Taliban as well as Lashkar-e-Jhangvi...

Lashkar-e-Jhangvi first, strait forward and simple answer. Government of Pakistan has outlawed this militant group...One must not go against the pro-government stance. Secondly, you cant justify a militant organization which is going against the national interest. So please be clear on that point.

Moreover, as for as the question of Talibanization is concerned, this has also the same implications for the internal stability of Pak. One must not favor Talibanisation in Pakistan as these groups are denying our constitution and wanted to have their own version of Islam on which they, themselves are not clear.

Would you like to share that that has been having pro-Taliban stance?? Where you got that stance??
Have you come to know the 4 conditions put forward by the TTP to resume dialogue process with the government??

That's a total disaster, if you will be having pro-Taliban stance in the exam as no one in Pakistan is able to digest their demand i.e, government, intelligentsia, civil society, media etc...

No doubt there are some Taliban which are pro-Pakistan are being used by our intelligence agencies to counter American propaganda in Afghanistan…
But frankly speaking, our government had never owned them on official level.

Now the question which can be asked in the competitive exam is how to deal with this issue? How Pakistan should deal with the Taliban?? An aspirant of css has to answer this question instead of having concerns regarding pro-Taliban or anti-Taliban stance…

I can briefly give my suggestions here:

At present Pakistan is in the helm of severe crisis at national as well as international affairs, and the issue of terrorism linked with the Taliban attains vital importance. We must have a comprehensive strategy of cope with this menace. A policy based on 3Ds must be opted here to counter this situation.
Deterrence, Dialogue and Development….

At first, we should deter the threat posed by the anti-Pakistan Taliban with stern hands by establishing the writ of Government in tribal areas

Second step, engage the Taliban who are willing to have a dialogue process and convince them to go in a right way instead of having unconstitutional means for implementation of their ideology

Third step, As these areas are lacking in infrastructure development, ie hospitals, schools, road, job opportunities, Rozs, Inclusion of these frustrated groups in mainstream politics…

Only way to establish long term peace can be established by winning hearts and minds of the local people.

This is the way how we must establish our ideas…

Hoping to get my point…

Further input will really be appreciated

Regards,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to safeemailk For This Useful Post:
Muhammad T S Awan (Monday, February 25, 2013), Rida Malik (Wednesday, February 27, 2013)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: AppreciationDiligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Muhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant futureMuhammad T S Awan has a brilliant future

Quote:
I understand that, i know i have to research much more before i can develop an opinion but yes, that was my intention, the barbarian way with which theyre trying to implement their rule more than the religion. For now i think religion is being manipulated as a reason for unanimous rule, i might be wrong.
I). There is no need to have such an indepth research for this issue only for CSS.

ii). Taliban are not the only persons who are manipulating the religion, most of the time many people do so..

Quote:
And yes, i know there are different cadres of Taliban but essentially the ideology is the same which originates from 'takfiri' which i am researching now a days as to better understand the motives and so forth.
iii). Ideology is not too same, the things may go back to takfiri doctrine who was being propagated by Syed Qutb and followed by Abdullah Azzam, Osama etc however, there are lot of variations from this doctrine.

Quote:
For Pakistan Taliban, the power game is obvious again, as for their difference, origin of each of them is still revolving somewhere around Pakistan so i guess for all intents and purposes ill say the difference is only demographic and regional and thats that.
iv). No, there is not only the demographic differences, their objectives and end requirement are not the same as well as their relations with Pakistan cannot be same. The Afghan Talibans are having interests and stakes at Afghanistan and they are not a sort of nuisance for us, but those in our country are having direct links with Pakistan and having varied issues with our government.

Quote:
As for the probable amnesty given to Taliban, then again i am concluding that i would have to given logical reasoning at the end that Taliban are after all our ally's and we rely on them for support against a lot of political power factors so they are to be sided but with caution?
v). Yes there was some discussions on amnesty linked to amnesty proposed by Afghan Government to Taliban. .... It is debatable if they are our ally or not, further dear there is no need to mix Afghan Talibans and Pakistani Talibans, it will not be prudent to out rightly term them our allies.

Quote:
There must be a necessity of watchful control over their actions though, possible or not, this cant just all white-ly be accepted can it be?
vi). Watchful control! A wishful thinking, Pakistan originated, developed and nurtured Afghan Talibans but at the end of day they were out of Pakistan's control, so it is out of question to say that there can be some watchful control over them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safeemailk View Post
I can briefly give my suggestions here:

At present Pakistan is in the helm of severe crisis at national as well as international affairs, and the issue of terrorism linked with the Taliban attains vital importance. We must have a comprehensive strategy of cope with this menace. A policy based on 3Ds must be opted here to counter this situation.
Deterrence, Dialogue and Development….

At first, we should deter the threat posed by the anti-Pakistan Taliban with stern hands by establishing the writ of Government in tribal areas

Second step, engage the Taliban who are willing to have a dialogue process and convince them to go in a right way instead of having unconstitutional means for implementation of their ideology

Third step, As these areas are lacking in infrastructure development, ie hospitals, schools, road, job opportunities, Rozs, Inclusion of these frustrated groups in mainstream politics…

Only way to establish long term peace can be established by winning hearts and minds of the local people.

This is the way how we must establish our ideas…
vii). To some extent, these points are valid to be taken in the examination paper.

Regards
Rida Malik (Wednesday, February 27, 2013), safeemailk (Tuesday, February 26, 2013)
Old Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Default Not Pro Taliban at all

Yes this research may not be required for CSS but its helping me understand more. well, im really relieved to read these views because ive never been pro taliban and i am strongly against their methods but i was just anxious as to make sure i dont propose controversial views or anti government views in exams so as not to risk the scores or my eligibility. Was asking about this to play safely.

So far that i have understood is that authorities are pretty much at a loss at controlling their actions but their actions ARE condemned at the government level and even if they are granted general pardon it will be merely because its the only viable option to try and convince dialogue between two parties to end the trail of terrorism in the region.

I might propose that militant groups in Pakistan should not be allowed to form without governments approval? They hardly ever turn out to be good. Atleast if their known activities are persecuted openly and charged then there might be some damage control on the base level.

I know any anti stance might incite more violence as i was reading online the other day, some militant group had posted, "If government doesnt stop our persecution not only will we target Ehle Tasheeh but also target all those who are openly against our mission.

So it can be concluded that if the government bows to their threats and demands there will merely be more control in their hands and the violence is only going to increase so such bold steps as to eradicate their movements and formation at any level are highly necessary to crush them. It is going to be a big cost at any side but it is our only option against the trend of terrorism in our country. We dont want to be labeled haven for terrorists now do we? Not even Pakistani Muslim critics are safe from them, the world is another matter.
Old Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Quote:
Yes this research may not be required for CSS but its helping me understand more. well, im really relieved to read these views because ive never been pro taliban and i am strongly against their methods but i was just anxious as to make sure i dont propose controversial views or anti government views in exams so as not to risk the scores or my eligibility. Was asking about this to play safely.

So far that i have understood is that authorities are pretty much at a loss at controlling their actions but their actions ARE condemned at the government level and even if they are granted general pardon it will be merely because its the only viable option to try and convince dialogue between two parties to end the trail of terrorism in the region.

I might propose that militant groups in Pakistan should not be allowed to form without governments approval? They hardly ever turn out to be good. Atleast if their known activities are persecuted openly and charged then there might be some damage control on the base level.

I know any anti stance might incite more violence as i was reading online the other day, some militant group had posted, "If government doesnt stop our persecution not only will we target Ehle Tasheeh but also target all those who are openly against our mission.

So it can be concluded that if the government bows to their threats and demands there will merely be more control in their hands and the violence is only going to increase so such bold steps as to eradicate their movements and formation at any level are highly necessary to crush them. It is going to be a big cost at any side but it is our only option against the trend of terrorism in our country. We dont want to be labeled haven for terrorists now do we? Not even Pakistani Muslim critics are safe from them, the world is another matter.
AoA

Being a pro or anti Taliban is sort of a perception and undesrtanding, it is somewhat same thing that for some they are liberators and saviors and for some others they were otherwise..... Anyhow...

Hope you use to go to some good library, try to get book Taliban by Ahmed Rashid, it is good one and may give you insight from beginning of Afghan Taliban issues.

If you still get time, then can have a look at book by Saleem Shehzad, it is titled 'inside AlQaeeda and Taliban." Rohan Gonaratne also did much work on terrorism related things. He wrote a book alongwith a Pakistani writer somewhat Pakistan Terrorism Ground Zero. That may also give you load of knowledge. But there is really no need for you to read such books, just first book, Taliban by Ahmed Rashid may be sufficient for you. It is easy to digest.

For ABC of Pakistani Taliban, you a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehrik-i-Taliban_Pakistan, if you had not seen it before.

Regards
Rida Malik (Wednesday, February 27, 2013)

Tags
pakistan, taliban