Friday, May 03, 2024
03:59 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Thursday, July 15, 2010
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Arbab.Danish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociologist PU View Post
It seems that gradutes of these prestigious institutions dont like to join govt depts or govt dont want to recruit them ?
you seem to be going in right direction. Logically youth from such schools (and possibly their parents as well) don't want to join Govt. because their way of living is costly and they find it hard to maintain their life style with Govt pays. And also after spending too much on schooling why will they join Govt offices where the pay of their whole (serving) life sometimes equals to their past schooling expenses.
Old Thursday, July 22, 2010
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Sociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to all

@ Arbab

So in that case where the graduates of these institutions go and get employment ? That is what i am trying to find out.
Because they are not visable in govt. offices and multinational cant absorb all of them. Lets do a little bit of research.

------------

I happened to find some data regarding the back ground of CSPs and we can easily guess about their schooling from it.
According to the record of CSA, 3,374 probationers passed out from 1973 to 1995. CTP (1973-95) out of these 900 were the children of Govt. servants, 515 were children of professionals (Drs. Engineers, Lawyers etc) 514 were children of agriculturists/landlords, 406 were children of businessmen, 167 were children of CSP officers and 165 were children of Army officers.

Now one can see the majority belongs to Govt. servants/CSS officers/Army and these sections of society enroll their children in govt. schools as they cant afford the heavy expenditures of private schools/colleges. But the data is upto 1995 and we dont know the situation after that. It is anybody"s guess.

Last edited by Princess Royal; Thursday, July 22, 2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old Saturday, July 24, 2010

ambitiousguy is on a distinguished road
Default I also agree with socio

well dear this is my 1st thread in this group
watever i just checked the thread by someone about schooling background, well i also agree with socio, schooling doesnot matter in the life, you know the students from baceonhouse, and from elite level class school never produce any person who can join exams like css, pcs or anything like that, ya they taught their students how to deal with life but in only one manner that if they are from some specific class, they always deal in the same class they never know what the middle/lower class is.............
rather from govt/middle level schools students always learn how to fight with life, how to achieve their goals in life, ull have study alot of personalities biography, they all fought with the hurdles of life and get their place where they deserves
the main stuff is that, getting a higher place is self determination, even if you studied in the middle level schools, its upto what kind of atmosphere you creates around you, either educational peoples or the ones who never takes interest in studies rather in other social activities.......a man is known by his company he keeps
The Following User Says Thank You to ambitiousguy For This Useful Post:
Sociologist PU (Sunday, July 25, 2010)
Old Tuesday, July 27, 2010

noorsaba is on a distinguished road

@ sociologist pu
In my view, the students from highly reputed institutions like LUMS & LSE etc. don't get environment conducive to their abliities and mindset in government sector. public sector departments also do not pay according to their caliber and cost (in obtaining these degrees). Therefore they prefer to go abroad or to join some multinational companies.

sana_krn has a spectacular aura aboutsana_krn has a spectacular aura about

agreed sociologist pu i never found any good lawyer educated frm these elite institutes.....i dunt know wat wonder they r doing.. in my studnet life i participated in many compititions like debates moots etc n u will not belive every time winners are from govt. sector schools and universities....production of elite schools are not winners even in curriculer, extra curriculer and curriculer activities...
so how come schooling is imp? n say if schooling is that much imp thn y not students frm these institutes r playing leading role in any feild of life?????

MBA has a spectacular aura aboutMBA has a spectacular aura aboutMBA has a spectacular aura about
Default Interesting..

Nice debate. Those O/A level student prefer to go abroad for studies, if not possible they opt for LUMS or IBA/ Aga Khan and then go abroad for jobs/studies. Graduates of these institutes are getting sum of $50,000 to $100,000 per annum, they find their self restricted in Civil service, where they can not implement innovative ideas, where promotion is based on age and length of service not really on merit or project base.

One of my millionaire friend who is very good at studies, he can remember a book of 400 pages in 10 days, i asked him to go for CSS, after consultation with his family he replied to me that, My father is saying civil service is for those, who needs power and money, reputation, we have got everything already, we can do anything we want with our already established reputation and power of money, what is need of going for that service? Join the family business, double the business and forget government job!

But still some of friends who are from LUMS/IBA/SZABIST/CBM/Aga Khan prefer civil service, why? Because of family structure, they have seen some of their cousins or uncles in civil service so they get interested.

Coming to Schooling: No doubt O/A level students are far better than local schooling system, they are more competent and having great command over language.

Regards,

Tahir Sohail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight View Post
IMPORTANCE OF GOOD SCHOOLING IN COMPETITIVE EXAMS

ASSALAM-O-ALAIKUM!
Hope u all be fine by the grace of almighyt Allah!
Here I wanna draw ur attention to my observation in relation to CSS Examnation.

Usually common people ignore schooling in rating importance to the various stages of educational career. So far my observation is concerned i am firm on the point that education at school level, especially primary education, is of key importance in not only CSS but all competitive examinations and GRE Tests. Usually less importance is attached to the selection of schools and mostly students are sent to low standard schools where from parents get fascination due to low fees. Even at some schools where high fees are charged, the standard of education is still pathetic. I herby wanna tell u all that wherever ur schooling is from,have a look and see the reality of my statement. At least we can take special care of the education of upcoming generation at school level. Let’s consider CSS and PCS exams and we will for sure cry out for the primary importance of good schooling.

1. ESSAY paper is essentially dependent on the strong expression. The expression is usually built up in school while writing essays of various types. Those who have gone through the O Level must be aware of the fact that strong expression and organization of essay of various types is usually carried out in school life. Many among the aspirants of competitive exams have good knowledge about a topic but they tremble when it comes to organization and impressive expression.

2. PRECIS & COMPOSITION is usually dependent on the capability and calibre of a persont. It needs good précis skill and good vocabulary. So far I have seen, vocabulary is usually built up in early student life and utilized later. Idioms, synonyms, antonyms, sentences, direct and indirect narration and active and passive voice etc are practiced continuously in schools and not in colleges and universities.

3. ISLAMIAT is concerned with the basic general knowledge about the religion and beliefs. In schools these topics are continuously in practice and a student is continuously provided with knowledge related to religion, hence a base is formed.

4. PAK AFFAIRS deals with the historical details about the creation of Pakistan and the conditions of Sub-continent. These details are provided in schools and a student is continuously in touch with the evolution of Pakistan and its development in various aspects. The concepts broaden in college, but the credit hours for the subjects reduce while in schools it is a compulsory subject.

5. Optional papers usually need strong and impressive presentation. Many students present the fact and details read from same sources but the expression matters and the expression is made during schools.
In light of this discussion, I hereby invite comments of the forum. It is commonly seen that students with good schooling go through only because of their good schooling which has made their base strong. Schooling is the basic education need to be taken care of and the College and University education is the utilization of knowledge gained in schools with further broadening on the foundations of schooling. College and University education is more a struggle towards a degree for obtaining a job while schooling is a move towards founding a base.

Twilight
(Pardon in advance for errors and spellings due to scarcity of time)
Your point is well taken as far as the importance of an early schooling is concerned. Without undermining your valuable opinion, it is submitted, and that is my personal view, that every knowledge that has been sought just for the sake of examination point of view is useless. I say useless, in the sense, that it may equip you to score better than your competitors, but it is insufficient to make you a successful person in your overall service or job career. To me what is more important may not fit into the various educational schemes in vogue, but ultimately proves as a key to a kind of excellence you need to achieve in the due course of your mental progress. First of all you need to diversify your reading habit, and later to assimilate in the most systematic way whatever you have read. Selection of good authors is another very important matter. The most conspicuous advantage that you can get by reading quality stuff, is to learn the skill of formulating your individual thought process, and the power of analysis. In order to impress your examiner, you need less effort to convince him/her about the magnitude of your knowledge bank, but more effort to surprise him/her with your analytical power. Analysis comes with introspection and cognition of the subject you are grappling with. It would never come by keeping yourself enslaved with what the author is trying to emphasise. Intelligent opposition to what has been written and converting it into your own noting improves your writing skills and in turn it renders your expression eye-catching. Most of the students do not pay much attention to their writing skills, rather they read and reproduce the same in a kind of stereo-type fashion. This inanimate reproduction of what has been taught in the lecture-room is very much welcomed by the teachers, and the student is further encouraged to make it his/her habit to walk in the rut in order to secure good marks. I think today’s urgent need is to create such institutions where the trainers should be trained. The dearth of teachers’ training centres in this country is quite alarming, and it is their straight-jacket methods which need to be addressed on the priority basis. In this context, it is my concerted opinion that teachers’ job is not to make the student a slave of the book, his/her primary duty is to prick the curiosity of the learners.

Regards
Old Saturday, July 31, 2010

Maroof Hussain Chishty is a jewel in the roughMaroof Hussain Chishty is a jewel in the roughMaroof Hussain Chishty is a jewel in the roughMaroof Hussain Chishty is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Good schooling in CSS examination

There is no doubt that CSS exam gives equal opportunity to every candidate; however, at times more capable persons do not make it through. Let me clear my argument further. A friend of mine who graduated from IBA Karachi got 599 marks in his first attempt i.e. failing by just 1 mark although he cleared all the subjects. In the next attempt he got 667 marks but he remained unfortunate again that this time he was unable to clear English Essay. However, a number of candidates passed the exam by marginally getting 600 or so in that particular attempt. I asked him why they failed you this time. He said he had no clue as in the first attempt he wrote on a similar topic and got cleared the essay but this time they rejected it.

This incident shows that css examination process requires drastic improvement so that more capable persons could not get ignored. If things kept on going this way, then many bright students will not take a chance and will adopt careers having certainty and not a career that does not provide a space of improvement and suppresses their passion to do something for this country.
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2009 - Roll no 2862

Nazik is on a distinguished road

i totally agree with u maroof.CSS examination system should be revamped so that no talented person is deprived from most prestigious service of pakistan.

Mao Zedong has a spectacular aura aboutMao Zedong has a spectacular aura about

IMPORTANCE OF GOOD SCHOOLING IN COMPETITIVE EXAMS !!!

Good topic ! for discussion purpose only at this stage of our career, as most of us have been completed our education whether it was started at a good school or otherwise; and now we have to live-up with it and should focus on our preparation. It is for the information of all those who have the obsession of Good Schooling that most of the CSPs whom I personally know are from Urdu medium schools (as pointed above by SocialogistPU that we have no proper data available and we have to rely on our observations). One of my CSP friends (now serving in DMG) often comments humorously, "Maa tou 10 rupay fees walay school sa perha howa houn." Anyhow, nice thread and I will keep it in my mind after getting merry and when my children would reach at the school-going-age.