Monday, April 29, 2024
12:33 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Wednesday, July 31, 2013
43rd CTP (PAS)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2014 - Merit 13

Thanked 1,551 Times in 674 Posts
Bilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaidd View Post
Media outlets should not be patriotic. They should be objective.

There is an example of a major international "patriotic" news channel. It's called Fox News and it's the laughing-stock of the world.

Television channels are only motivated by one factor - profit. For profit, they need good ratings. For that, they need a lot of people to watch their channel most of the time. And in order to do that, they churn out material that most people are most likely to watch. It's pretty circular. The garbage spewed out by most television channels is a reflection of us - it's what we want to watch.

It's actually pretty disappointing to watch young, educated people calling for the government to take action against the "unpatriotic" media. Where are we living - Nazi Germany, China or North Korea? We should be mature enough to accept a diversity of opinions, even if we consider them "unpatriotic". After all, what's patriotic for me can be treasonous for someone else. Especially the Zaid Hamid crowd.
Respected Member, I hereby disagree from you for the following reasons:

You mean to say media is not doing anything wrong, media shows us what we want to watch. pretty strong an argument.....Your reasoning is very good but unfortunately one of your premises is fallacious which weak your argument. What media shows us is not what we want to watch.

There is certainly a concept called Public Demand, but my friedn there is also a concept called Fabricated Demand.....This latter type of demand is not made from public rather it is created and later proliferated in public.

Who wanted Aamir Liaqat to call Taher Shah in his so called Ramzan transmission then insult him like a illiterate? I hope not a huge chunk of Pakistani public would have written to Geo news or Aamir Liaqat for that! That wasn't public demand.

Who from Pakistani public had asked Geo news or other mass media to go out of its way to prove Ajmal Qassab a Pakistani? Public demand?

Ok public demand i understand, but 50 Million US $ is a hell of an amount buddy, i don't think US would like to promote patriotic sentiment among Pakistani masses by giving that amount to media?

My friend media is a pillar of state alongwith Judiciary, Exective, and Legislature. If these pillars are meant to promote public interest and consolidate the foundations of the state then media also has to be the spearhead of promoting national interest.

You have a misunderstanding that we here are asking for media to play such a role that Nazi or Fasci media did, No we are not asking for that. We are not asking for media to promote Nationalism in such a way that it becomes harmful for other nations. We just want the media to act like Pakistani media. That's it.....Ajmal Qassab and Mombai attacks have proved to be the projects of Indian Govt itself, what our media did in the aftremaths of Mumbai attacks, i was seriously taken aback whether this is Indian media or Pakistani.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bilal Hassan For This Useful Post:
Malik Ubaidullah (Wednesday, July 31, 2013), tajmeer (Wednesday, July 31, 2013), zarenafazaal (Wednesday, July 31, 2013)

tajmeer will become famous soon enough

Media is doing business now a days and they show what they want but we are also responsible up to some extent for this all because if we stop watching this all then who is media to show us anything like what they want. It is right that in today's world in Pakistan media is acting as a blackmailer but why Pakistani people are so easily blackmail by this few people. It is because of illiteracy among people about media in Pakistan. If our nation will be literate then these blackmailers can't ever blackmail us. Media is pillar of the state and it should work for the development of the state not to harm to reputation of state but sadly our media is doing negative rather than positive. They are promoting western culture,languages,Indian culture, but they don't even give a little space to Pakistani languages,culture, our traditions our norms values. In today's globalized world other nation using their media as a weapon against other nations but here the situation is different. Other nations using our media our people against us.
Bilal Hassan (Wednesday, July 31, 2013), zarenafazaal (Wednesday, July 31, 2013)

Anam Yaqoob is on a distinguished road

Either its our media or govt; all they think about the money.. they neither think like a Pakistani nor for Pakistan...
The Following User Says Thank You to Anam Yaqoob For This Useful Post:
zarenafazaal (Wednesday, July 31, 2013)
Old Thursday, August 01, 2013

It is not just the media and government this time all the pillars of the state is after money. And this all is because common man is illiterate and they even don't know what media is showing them and what they want to watch. Our media and government is full of illiterate people and they are ruling over 180 million people.
Anam Yaqoob (Thursday, August 01, 2013)

Anam Yaqoob is on a distinguished road

actually we are just like silent robots,neither we take action nor we bycot the things,
***CAPTAIN HOPE***
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Moderator: Ribbon awarded to moderators of the forum - Issue reason:

Muhammad Ali Chaudhry is a jewel in the roughMuhammad Ali Chaudhry is a jewel in the roughMuhammad Ali Chaudhry is a jewel in the rough

If we are to the topic then Our Media means that at first we should be responsible and patriotic .

On the other side , media ratings and its rankings depend upon Us ,the viewers . If we donot watch any channel , its ratings would be low . Then the owners will take care next time . So , in this way with a collective effort media can be controlled . But , everyone of us should be responsigle and patriotic at first before pointing finger towards any of the institutions of Pakistan . Allah bless Pakistan .

Media is showing us everything that we want to see . If media is not patriotic and is successful too , then we can comprehend from it that problem exists in people and viewers . Because the time till which there is a boost in viewership , there are channels , otherwise nothing .
Old Friday, August 02, 2013
43rd CTP (PAS)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2014 - Merit 13

Thanked 1,551 Times in 674 Posts
Bilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to beholdBilal Hassan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhammad Ali Chaudhry View Post
If we are to the topic then Our Media means that at first we should be responsible and patriotic .

On the other side , media ratings and its rankings depend upon Us ,the viewers . If we donot watch any channel , its ratings would be low . Then the owners will take care next time . So , in this way with a collective effort media can be controlled . But , everyone of us should be responsigle and patriotic at first before pointing finger towards any of the institutions of Pakistan . Allah bless Pakistan .

Media is showing us everything that we want to see . If media is not patriotic and is successful too , then we can comprehend from it that problem exists in people and viewers . Because the time till which there is a boost in viewership , there are channels , otherwise nothing .
Brother your reasoning is wrong, yes fault lies in people too....Most of the people are illitrate and watch the crap they are showing but i don't think people ask for something, they just watch what is shown to them. Answer my following questions:

Who wanted Aamir Liaqat to call Taher Shah in his so called Ramzan transmission then insult him like an illiterate? I hope not a huge chunk of Pakistani public would have written to Geo news or Aamir Liaqat for that! That wasn't public demand.

Who from Pakistani public had asked Geo news or other mass media to go out of its way to prove Ajmal Qassab a Pakistani? Public demand?

Brother i don't think in any of above instances you, me or any other common person would have asked for that. People do watch but what is shown to them, people are responsible too but media is more responsible then masses are.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bilal Hassan For This Useful Post:
Malik Ubaidullah (Friday, August 02, 2013), tajmeer (Friday, August 02, 2013)

uroooj hayat is on a distinguished road

Listening to a lot of people uttering against media nowadays. I know we don't want to see what we are shown. But its not only our media, its an international media issue. Even Turkish public came on the roads against their news media for showing government-loving material. British media can't show nothing against its monarchs. But I would say people living overseas have less focus on their media.
In Pakistan, media has always been obliged about what to spread on air. Sometimes its by our government & sometimes even by India (ironically). Many times by some pressure parties (MQM) etc.
Talking of media not fulfilling it responsibilities, I would say no single field is doing that here. Everybody has to play his/her own role to make things work out more efficiently and honestly. But if we want to stop media for overacting, then we have a power called youth power, that can change the days. Or we can also protest against media in any way.

Youth is the real power of a nation. Our media is showing those programs which mostly like by the youngsters and these youngsters are the future of Pakistan. So if media will not show the reality and show only those programs which is harmful for the youth so how can we will become literate to compete with International standards in education,business and other feilds of life. And that is because our media is full of illetrate people and that is in favour for foreign countries to buy these illeterate people take those steps from them which is damaging Pakistan reputation in International cummunity. Our media people don't have a sense of responsability towards Pakistan and Pakistanis they only focus on dollars which they are recieving. So its up to our youth to choose between right and wrong because if they will blindly follow these media blackmailers so how they will become useful citizens of Pakistan. Our media mostly invite those illetrate people which don't know any about the issues and their solutions in Pakistani perspective but they only misguide and that will harm all the country.

Malik Ubaidullah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhammad Ali Chaudhry View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilal Hassan View Post
Brother your reasoning is wrong, yes fault lies in people too....Most of the people are illitrate and watch the crap they are showing but i don't think people ask for something, they just watch what is shown to them. Answer my following questions:

Who wanted Aamir Liaqat to call Taher Shah in his so called Ramzan transmission then insult him like an illiterate? I hope not a huge chunk of Pakistani public would have written to Geo news or Aamir Liaqat for that! That wasn't public demand.

Brother i don't think in any of above instances you, me or any other common person would have asked for that. People do watch but what is shown to them, people are responsible too but media is more responsible then masses are.
I second the opinion of Bilal Hassan. Not everything shown by our media depicts public demand. In addition to Bilal's arguments, i hasten to add. More recently some TV channels have started showing foreign serials, i am not aware whether they are shown after translation or with subtitles as i still prefer PTV to crap like geo and others. My point is that many of such serials are in direct conflict with our moral and cultural values and most of them are being aired in prime time, or I'd rather say 'Family time'. None of us would want to watch such crap with our families sitting beside.
A collective effort can control media but strict rules to regulate media are also need of the hour. Rules which neither truncate the fundamental rights of media nor let it go awry.
The Following User Says Thank You to Malik Ubaidullah For This Useful Post:
Bilal Hassan (Friday, August 02, 2013)