Monday, April 29, 2024
08:27 AM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Saturday, May 26, 2007
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2008

trotsky59 is on a distinguished road
Default why do a large number of candidates fail in css

why do a large number of candidates fail in css? only 6% cadidates could qualify written last year and 94% were failure
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Best Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best ModMember of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: For the year 2007Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Thanked 3,082 Times in 760 Posts
Sureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to allSureshlasi is a name known to all

Coz CSS is most competitive exam of pakistan and they are looking for creme crowd , Who will act for country reforms. Simply they recruit astute Leaders.
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CSS 2007

DuuA is an unknown quantity at this point

Crème crowd or astute leaders...
This is very abstract level of attributes. It can be “at times” quite relative, depending on one’s way of perception.
I have seen such people who were a cut above than the rest but couldn’t make it. And I have seen such people who were just average in their writing skills (an important factor to get through CSS) and they made it.

I think it depends on many things; like the way you attempt the exam, your writing skills (should be easy and fluent, thus making it more exquisite), your analysis (should be balanced, no maverick approach and at times a bit of obsequiousness required).

It is a matter of “chance” and “choice (choice of your level of hard work, how much you choose to work hard)”

Since it is all about analytical and not mere concepts or calculations, it makes CSS more related to personal approach of the person who checks your paper (this thing counts more when you attempt a controversial topic). So here comes the element of chance.

Well, rest since seats are limited, they tend to select only those candidates who they reckoned “the best”. Most of the times they are right and sometimes they slip up.
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CSS 2007

And if we talk about reforms, I believe that nothing can be more contemptible than to suppose Public Records to be true. Aneurin Bevan, a British Politician once said “Poor fellow, he suffers from files.” But we can’t blame him for all the inefficiency. After all, endless meetings, sloppy communications and red tape steal all his time.
Old Sunday, May 27, 2007

Yasser28 is on a distinguished road

I tend to second the opinion of Ms Duaa.
CSS exam is in no way comparable to the justness of the Day of Judgement(pardon my diabolic exaggeration,but its to convey an effectual comparison not a factual contrast).Experience and observation bears testimony to the fact that many intellectual dullnesses find their way in this so-called elite competitive exam and many brilliant bright souls get red signals.My memory recalls me a very good student of IR department of Karachi University(gold medalist indeed) and he also showed his best brains in a renowned UK university.But he could not satisfy the super-intellects of FPSC and shown the way out in the very IR paper.
Every one of you is well aware that what a senior tells you about the perspective you should adhere to be stood upto the mark of the intellectual orientations of the guardians of the geographical boundaries of the national security state as they are dominating the interview panel in these holy days of real democracy and civilian supremacy.Can you have an independent liberal approach? Can you analyze the decadence of Islamic Ummah in the Islamic Studies paper to the ever-conservative educated bigots or can you give a reaistic picture of the small provinces' being in the nearly copper age.Ineed we are born in a culture where to disagree is but an honorary degree of being an Indian or Western or whatever otherwise available term of derogation.Ironically thanks My Lord communism is vanquished now to decreasing these terms for the coding procedures of these arbiters of national and Ummah's interests.You are traitor for the first and fuel of the hell for the second category of a super intellectual state and society.Here Miltonian satan is but to remain in a chaos of his imagination after getting defeated by the gods of the State of Conformity.

In my humble opinion this elite exam is continuously carrying forward the same entrenched legacy of the colonial era and encouraging the best serfs and folks of obsequious mind-sets or, to the least, pretenders of being capable to do so. I, myself, am not at moral vantage point in this regard but still have a conscience though it's anaesthesised till it dominates me over my social servility.

Pardon if someone is hurt.

...Yasser
Old Sunday, May 27, 2007

learner is on a distinguished road

I agreed with Dua. After such a tough exam still FPSC is unable to extract cream.....Not all of CSPs are cream.most of the CSPs are average.

Only LUCK+Personal Aptitude towards these subjects counts.

Otherwise Engineering and Technical fields are tougher then CSS.
Old Monday, May 28, 2007

Raskolnikovian is on a distinguished road

Its a free society and we thrive on diversity of views. As a matter of principle therefore I wouldnt normally respond to arguments contesting the verasity and fairness of CSS exams. 3 words compelled me to make an exception in this case. KU, IR and Gold Medal. Your friend and I have at least these things in common. The difference is Im on the verge of making it to the group of my choice after my first attempt of the CSS exams. I have my sympathies with your friend and I think I can understand his plight better than most people.
However, lopsided convictions and sweeping generalizations based on individual experience can be highly misleading at times. I hope that for the sake of evenhandedness you would let this example guide your subsequent analyses of the subject.
Old Monday, May 28, 2007

Peace Panther is on a distinguished road

I totally agree with what Miss Duaa has said. But i'll add something more to the thread. My words are for those who couldn't make the attempt. Not making the attempt at CSS doesn't mean that the person is not competent. CSS is a big game, not only of knowledge, but of great deal of mental capabilities of managing the situations. Since it's a big game, but not getting cleared in the exam doesn't label one as incompetent.
Old Monday, May 28, 2007

Yasser28 is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikovian
Its a free society and we thrive on diversity of views.
Thanks for your liberality indeed.

Quote:
As a matter of principle therefore I wouldnt normally respond to arguments contesting the verasity and fairness of CSS exams. 3 words compelled me to make an exception in this case. KU, IR and Gold Medal.
Congratulations dear you've made the way to your (rather of many) dream world.

Quote:
However, lopsided convictions and sweeping generalizations based on individual experience can be highly misleading at times. analyses of the subject.
Dear,these generalizations were not based on a single case, many perceptive

CSPs share these views.You seem to be a brilliant fellow and I hope are

sensitively perceptive so you must have seen the passed candidates in

CSA.Give your honest comment on the state of folk there.You yourself tell do

you believe honestly what you said before the interview panel or otherwise

you preempted their questions before-hand and constructed their answers

against your independent critical assessment or results reached through class

discussions.Dear,this system is best teaching intellectual falsehood and

political hypocrisy.Read articles of retired CSPs in Dawn ,etc., and revelations

of late Altaf Gohar(what was good during their service becomes something

other when they shed the official garb) ,e.g. that how much you can be free

agent in assessing different policies.

Let's say ,at least,what's bad is not virtue.Try to show of anyone but not to

the court of our collective sacred self.

Tail-piece:It's heartening that you will be a valuable addition to the civil

services of a national security state.

...Yasser
Old Monday, May 28, 2007

Lopsided convictions and sweeping generalizations!!!

You are right to an extent that one cannot acknowledge the claim stated by many candidates to be the crème de la crème and only by the virtue of luck or whatever defects in the system, they could not get through it. But it is limited to the extent when you are considering an acquaintance. I based my idea on the experience encountered by the ones I know very well.

Secondly, CSS is all about FABRICATED approaches one need to adopt to get into the civil services. See you are a government servant and although you’ve been taught to be “neutral” but hey who is impartial here? No one! You have to be a die hard sycophant. Once I heard a civil servant commenting on the ongoing judicial crisis that he couldn’t give his statement regarding all the mess as he is a “government servant” and thus he has to resort to usual mantra “sab theek hai—this is all hype”

Ok I need a suggestion. I believe we need a democracy and this government has its roots in one man rule. Do you guys think I should say this in front of the interview panel? And can I say that the government is big time hypocrite. All Lal masjid brigade of burqa-clad ladies is nothing but an invented drama by the agencies to tell the world that threat of “Islamic Extremism” has reached our metropolis and we need army to tackle it, thus making Musharraf an inevitable actor in the government. Well, this is what I think and by no means I support this government and yet I want to be part of civil services. In government words, I’m not at all “civil” to be the part of these elitists. By the way should I tell them that I’m a hardcore communist? Perhaps then I won’t be able to have “any” kind of job in this country.

So the gist lies in the catchphrase:
Be “Civil”; Forget “Yourself”

P.S: To check the meaning of “civil”, consult a government servant.