Monday, March 30, 2020
11:42 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > Beginner's Guide > Frequently Asked Questions > Subject Selection

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old Thursday, August 20, 2015
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
DrAhsanIqbal is on a distinguished road
Default Selection of optional subjects for MBBS students

After going through the revised syllabus for CE-2016, I am finding it quite difficult to decide on optional subjects to opt for. I have recently completed my MBBS but there are not many subjects included in the syllabus, which are directly related to MBBS syllabus.
My current mentality about attempting CE-2016 is that I want to give myself a chance and to avoid having regrets in the future that I didn't try to achieve something better. This means that its not a "do or die" situation for me.
With this mentality, I find myself attracted towards subjects that either have any close or distant relation to MBBS syllabus or those which have no such relation but for some unknown reason appear interesting to me.
However, before embarking on this tedious journey of "subject preparation", I would love to have advice and suggestions from fellow members and seniors on this forum about my subject selection.
I am thinking about the following subjects:
  • Psychology (because of its relation to MBBS)
  • Gender studies (because it appears appealing to me and I don't know why but I think Psychology and Gender studies will make a good combo)
  • Chemistry (Because I was good in chemistry in FSC, which means I have a good "chemical base" )
  • Computer Science (Because I have "better than zero" knowledge about the subject but more importantly because without its 200 marks, I am unable to complete the 600 marks requirement)

Other subjects that I can also opt for, but are not in my preference are:
  • Zoology (Same reason as chemistry)
  • History of USA (Because of friend of mine said that its a high scoring subject and doesn't take that much time to prepare)
Any suggestion or advice is welcome, especially the one related to "score trends" vs "time required for preparation". Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Thursday, August 20, 2015
Anam Akram's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Lahore
Posts: 102
Thanks: 36
Thanked 74 Times in 48 Posts
Anam Akram will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAhsanIqbal View Post
After going through the revised syllabus for CE-2016, I am finding it quite difficult to decide on optional subjects to opt for. I have recently completed my MBBS but there are not many subjects included in the syllabus, which are directly related to MBBS syllabus.
My current mentality about attempting CE-2016 is that I want to give myself a chance and to avoid having regrets in the future that I didn't try to achieve something better. This means that its not a "do or die" situation for me.
With this mentality, I find myself attracted towards subjects that either have any close or distant relation to MBBS syllabus or those which have no such relation but for some unknown reason appear interesting to me.
However, before embarking on this tedious journey of "subject preparation", I would love to have advice and suggestions from fellow members and seniors on this forum about my subject selection.
I am thinking about the following subjects:
  • Psychology (because of its relation to MBBS)
  • Gender studies (because it appears appealing to me and I don't know why but I think Psychology and Gender studies will make a good combo)
  • Chemistry (Because I was good in chemistry in FSC, which means I have a good "chemical base" )
  • Computer Science (Because I have "better than zero" knowledge about the subject but more importantly because without its 200 marks, I am unable to complete the 600 marks requirement)

Other subjects that I can also opt for, but are not in my preference are:
  • Zoology (Same reason as chemistry)
  • History of USA (Because of friend of mine said that its a high scoring subject and doesn't take that much time to prepare)
Any suggestion or advice is welcome, especially the one related to "score trends" vs "time required for preparation". Thanks
Firstly , I would suggest you to replace Computer Studies with International Relations].There are various reasons behind this suggestion, like:
1- The major portion of syllabus of Pakistan Affairs and Current Affairs overlaps with International Relations.
2- I believe at least bachelors degree in Computer Studies is required to handle it effectively.
3-IR will save you time(Reason stated in point 1)

Secondly,I would recommend environment sciences because of its scientific nature.Its syllabus also overlaps with General Science, Current Affairs and Town-Planning.

Thirdly, You can take International Law. It is related with International Relations. Some topics are also overlapping.

Fourthly, If you are into history, then you should go for European history.It is also related with IR.

Otherwise, Town Planning is also good choice. It has short syllabus and can be covered in less time.

Fifthly, Psychology is a good choice.Otherwise, you can opt regional language (if you are good at it)

Furthermore, Nothing can be said about trends till the result of CE-2016, as all previous trends are obsolete now.Regarding time I would say that It varies from person to person. But i can assure you that if you are focused and motivated, you can still make it. Best of Luck!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anam Akram For This Useful Post:
DrAhsanIqbal (Friday, August 21, 2015), kingfalcon (Thursday, August 20, 2015)
  #3  
Old Friday, August 21, 2015
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
DrAhsanIqbal is on a distinguished road
Default

I liked the suggestion about replacing "Computer sciences" with "International Relations". But in my current state, I have no idea even about the meaning of International relations. This means I have to take a start from "Zero".
Generally, I am good with subjects where one is not supposed to remember the hard facts and figures, but only ideas. This is why I hate history and literature. So my preference would be to avoid subjects related to history and literature as much as possible.
"Anam Akram", can you tell me more about "International Relations"? Or can you share some resources that can give me an overall introduction of the subject?

If I choose to opt for International relations, then the possible combinations for me are:

Replace Computer sciences with IR
  • International Relations (200)
  • Psychology (100)
  • Chemistry (200)
  • Gender studies (100)

Take Environmental sciences instead of Gender studies
  • International relations
  • Psychology
  • Chemistry
  • Environmental sciences

Leave out chemistry (which is totally unrelated to the rest of the subjects) and opt for International law + Town planning
  • International relations
  • Psychology
  • International law
  • Town planning
  • Environmental sciences
Which combination would be better ??
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Friday, August 21, 2015
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shimmring sea is on a distinguished road
Default Subject sellection

a.a.
i have opted for
psychology because i took it last year too
sociology because i took it last year too
IR subject is totally new to me, can any one guide me how to prepare it
confused about:

mercantile law (i am aware of all the sllaybus as i hv studied it before) or Public admn (i hv seen sllaybus, requires some prepration from me)

gender studies (for me its tuff sllaybus) or International law

pls if any one guide me accordingly as well give me a timetable to follow as i can never set timings with my job.

thank u
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Friday, August 21, 2015
Anam Akram's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Lahore
Posts: 102
Thanks: 36
Thanked 74 Times in 48 Posts
Anam Akram will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAhsanIqbal View Post
I liked the suggestion about replacing "Computer sciences" with "International Relations". But in my current state, I have no idea even about the meaning of International relations. This means I have to take a start from "Zero".
Generally, I am good with subjects where one is not supposed to remember the hard facts and figures, but only ideas. This is why I hate history and literature. So my preference would be to avoid subjects related to history and literature as much as possible.
"Anam Akram", can you tell me more about "International Relations"? Or can you share some resources that can give me an overall introduction of the subject?

If I choose to opt for International relations, then the possible combinations for me are:

Replace Computer sciences with IR
  • International Relations (200)
  • Psychology (100)
  • Chemistry (200)
  • Gender studies (100)

Take Environmental sciences instead of Gender studies
  • International relations
  • Psychology
  • Chemistry
  • Environmental sciences

Leave out chemistry (which is totally unrelated to the rest of the subjects) and opt for International law + Town planning
  • International relations
  • Psychology
  • International law
  • Town planning
  • Environmental sciences
Which combination would be better ??
I would recommend this combination:
International relations
Psychology
International law
Town planning
Environmental sciences

Go through this book, it will give you the overall introduction of the subject.It is also recommended by FPSC for Pakistan Affairs.

International Relations by Joshua Goldstein
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7gwtnnr8r...stein.pdf?dl=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmring sea View Post
a.a.
i have opted for
psychology because i took it last year too
sociology because i took it last year too
IR subject is totally new to me, can any one guide me how to prepare it
confused about:

mercantile law (i am aware of all the sllaybus as i hv studied it before) or Public admn (i hv seen sllaybus, requires some prepration from me)

gender studies (for me its tuff sllaybus) or International law

pls if any one guide me accordingly as well give me a timetable to follow as i can never set timings with my job.

thank u
Kindly tell me about your Academic background, Interests and your previous experience of taking CSS exam,then i would be in a better position to give you advice.

Last edited by Man Jaanbazam; Saturday, August 22, 2015 at 12:34 AM. Reason: merge chain posts
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anam Akram For This Useful Post:
DrAhsanIqbal (Friday, August 21, 2015)
  #6  
Old Saturday, August 22, 2015
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
DrAhsanIqbal is on a distinguished road
Default

Thank you Anam Akram for your recommendation and for sharing the ebook. Can you please share more ebooks for all the five subjects you are recommending?
I am also inclined to ask whether or not you yourself are preparing for CE-2016. If yes, what are the optional subjects you are opting for?

"Shimmring sea", how was your experience with psychology? How much time did you give to preparation and was your score? Were you satisfied with the questions (in terms of being attemptable after preparing the FPSC recommended course outline)?
Please share your experience with me. I will really appreciate it.

Last edited by Man Jaanbazam; Saturday, August 22, 2015 at 12:33 AM. Reason: merge chain posts
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Saturday, August 22, 2015
Man Jaanbazam's Avatar
Excursionist
Moderator: Ribbon awarded to moderators of the forum - Issue reason: Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Into The Wild
Posts: 1,940
Thanks: 1,141
Thanked 1,470 Times in 752 Posts
Man Jaanbazam has a spectacular aura aboutMan Jaanbazam has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmring sea View Post
a.a.
i have opted for
psychology because i took it last year too
sociology because i took it last year too
IR subject is totally new to me, can any one guide me how to prepare it
confused about:

mercantile law (i am aware of all the sllaybus as i hv studied it before) or Public admn (i hv seen sllaybus, requires some prepration from me)

gender studies (for me its tuff sllaybus) or International law

pls if any one guide me accordingly as well give me a timetable to follow as i can never set timings with my job.

thank u
Avoid regular use of "Netspeak" or other "cute" grammar or spelling (For example: writing "R U a woman?" instead of "Are You a woman?").It is against Forum Rules. Use "you" instead of "u".
__________________
The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion !
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Saturday, August 22, 2015
Anam Akram's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Lahore
Posts: 102
Thanks: 36
Thanked 74 Times in 48 Posts
Anam Akram will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAhsanIqbal View Post
Thank you Anam Akram for your recommendation and for sharing the ebook. Can you please share more ebooks for all the five subjects you are recommending?
I am also inclined to ask whether or not you yourself are preparing for CE-2016. If yes, what are the optional subjects you are opting for?

"Shimmring sea", how was your experience with psychology? How much time did you give to preparation and was your score? Were you satisfied with the questions (in terms of being attemptable after preparing the FPSC recommended course outline)?
Please share your experience with me. I will really appreciate it.
You can check the links below for books:

International relations:
http://www.cssforum.com.pk/css-optio...ded-books.html

Town Planning:
http://www.cssforum.com.pk/css-optio...-readings.html

International law:
http://www.cssforum.com.pk/css-optio...nded-book.html

Psychology:
http://www.cssforum.com.pk/css-optio...sychology.html

For environment sciences, you can search material on Internet.

Yes! i am also CSS 2016 aspirant and here is my subject combination:
International Relations
Muslim Law
Environmental Sciences
Punjabi
Urban management & Town Planning
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anam Akram For This Useful Post:
DrAhsanIqbal (Saturday, August 22, 2015)
  #9  
Old Saturday, August 22, 2015
Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Still Running
Posts: 168
Thanks: 159
Thanked 372 Times in 143 Posts
Cogito Ergo Sum will become famous soon enoughCogito Ergo Sum will become famous soon enough
Default

I am a doctor too, appeared in CE-2015. I would suggest that you reconsider your choice of "Chemistry". Take a detailed look at its syllabus and past papers, you will know why I am asking you to reconsider. These science subjects (Chem., Physics etc), even if you manage to cover them, are a headache when it comes to revision. And the marks they fetch (i.e. 'scoring trend') is not worth the effort they demand.

Secondly, do not let this "I don't know anything about it" thought influence your subject selection. Simply go for those subjects that are scoring. Trust me when I say this: nothing is difficult for a medical graduate once he/she has decided to study. I would suggest you choose from the following:-

IR/Pol. Science (whatever floats your boat; see the syllabi of both and choose that which is more appealing)
Int. Law (complements Int. Relations and C.A.)
Psychology (easy to understand given your medical background)
U.S./Euro History (whatever you like; I suggest U.S History because it will consume lesser time)
Punjabi (evergreen, easy to score)
Zoology (40% of the syllabus overlaps with your background directly or indirectly)
Gender Studies (if you find it better than Zoology; personally I would choose Zoology over it)

-->If you find neither I.R nor Pol. Science doable, then I would suggest Computer Science over Chemistry.
__________________
"Everything the light touches, is our kingdom."
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cogito Ergo Sum For This Useful Post:
DrAhsanIqbal (Saturday, August 22, 2015)
  #10  
Old Saturday, August 22, 2015
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
DrAhsanIqbal is on a distinguished road
Default

Anam Akram, thanks for sharing the links.
Can you please tell me more about "International law vs Muslim law". I am guessing that "muslim law" shares syllabus with "islamiat".
Since International Law shares syllabus with International relations, I would love to know which combination is supposed to be better.

Cogito Ergo Sum, thank you for your valuable suggestions. I will also like to know what optional subjects you opted for in CE-2015 and how was your experience with them? And, are you appearing in CE-2016? If yes, have you made any changes to your optional subjects?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mbbs, subject analysis, subject selection

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
optional subjects haroono Frequently Asked Questions 7 Monday, February 29, 2016 07:44 AM
Statistics and Probability obaidkhan Statistics 3 Friday, August 23, 2013 02:51 PM
An Article by Dr. Liaquat Ali Khan Niazi omarhanif Arena of Golden Tips 0 Friday, April 06, 2012 01:00 PM
usefull to know the word Document Predator Computers and Technology 0 Friday, December 14, 2007 09:39 AM


CSS Forum on Facebook Follow CSS Forum on Twitter

Disclaimer: All messages made available as part of this discussion group (including any bulletin boards and chat rooms) and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of CSSForum.com.pk (unless CSSForum.com.pk is specifically identified as the author of the message). The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this web site does not mean that CSSForum has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to the forum to report any objectionable message in site feedback. This forum is not monitored 24/7.

Sponsors: ArgusVision   vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.