Sunday, April 28, 2024
01:08 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Thursday, July 24, 2014
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2014

Gypsified will become famous soon enoughGypsified will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It implies that you are making all these intelligent points, most of which I truly admire, just to convince everyone to follow the 'rulers'
Well, that does not mean I support blind consumerism. I am only pointing out the flaw in the argument that if we let go of consumerism, we would somehow become a developed nation. That argument ignores all the important parameters at work.

Quote:
So let's build a modern concept of welfare state. Remember Muslims vie for order, discipline and control and 'we' can't change nature
I'm all for evolving workable systems, keeping in consideration the basic guidelines provided by Islam, in today's world. I'm only against the strict adherence to medieval interpretations of Islam which will not work in today's world. I'm also aware of the problems of modern capitalism and will always consent to betters solutions, but the kind of solutions put forward by conservative and rigid thinking will only make the situation worse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gypsified For This Useful Post:
incounternable (Friday, July 25, 2014), mhmmdkashif (Thursday, July 24, 2014)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,122 Times in 674 Posts
mhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subhan Ahmad View Post
Total employment at war really? We are at war, what is the employment rate? U.S is at war, what is their employment rate? There have been many wars in history, I would like to know any other nation that had no needy during war, did not accept any charity and had full employment. And you ignored the question, compared to zakat, what percentage of tax financial institutions are paying right now?
Read the economic history of countries during major wars. The nazis were able to generate total employment through war time economy. The United States economy came out of recession during major wars. Soviet Union, albeit destroyed, built-up major industry during war which helped it rise as a superpower etc there are numerous examples. Read some history of wartime economies . Wartime economies are largely collective effort based not competition based, so they don't produce that much 'wealth' but 'taxes remain high'. And today's warfare that we and the United States are engaged in is not conventional wars that require large scale mobilization of millions of men so.... . On the political side, if a war is 'totally justified' before the people they put all their efforts and sacrifice to make their side win. It results in a lot of economic activity which is not competitive in nature.
waqas izhar (Thursday, July 24, 2014)

Subhan Ahmad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What era is that? Muslims were ruling the world, so to speak, when Yazeed killed Imam Hussain. Muslims were still ruling the world when Umaiyyads and Abbasid “Caliphs” were digging up the bones of their dead opponents and burning them. Muslims were still far ahead of everyone else when wholesale persecution of jurists was the order of the day at the hands of the “Caliphs”. But they were still ruling the world, doesn’t the make them true Muslims? As a matter of fact, Muslims were at each other throats right after the death of Prophet (PBUH). And if sticking to Islam (with its medieval interpretations) is the one measure of success, how do you account for the unprecedented superiority of the West today?
Half of this can be explained by revolution and counter revolution. Others, Islam did faced internal disputes during and after Prophet Muhammad S.A.W's time. And I can't comment on certain things since I don't know the context. But one can not ignore did Islam did proper at their time.
They are superior because they are implementing the wrong things, in the right way. It is not sustainable. We will surpass when we will implement the right things, the right way.

Quote:
Although if by shoving down the throat you mean historical evidence and proper reference to back up the statements
Again, subjective opinion.

Quote:
But the implementation of the same ways as they existed in the 7th century in today’s world will simply not work.
One can only conclude that when we actually implement it and then it crumbles down.

Quote:
The societies that rule the world are also consumer societies. Asceticism might work in a monastery but not in the real world.
You got it wrong, I meant that we have consumers and believe that all we have to do is to give vote to the leader we like and rest is up to him to change things.

Quote:
And today's warfare that we and the United States are engaged in is not conventional wars that require large scale mobilization of millions of men so...
How many military men are mobilized outside U.S after 9/11 ? :/
And again my question is left unanswered.

Last edited by Amna; Thursday, July 24, 2014 at 11:10 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Subhan Ahmad For This Useful Post:
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

mhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud ofmhmmdkashif has much to be proud of

Quote:
How many military men are mobilized outside U.S after 9/11 ? :/
And again my question is left unanswered.
Ahh man you know I really hate it when the discussion looses it's course and goes on a path of unnecessary justifications

Ok I ask you what were the primary economic activities of arabs during Hazrat Umar (RA)'s times??? And were people becoming rich during that time??? Was it resulting in a rising middle class??? I can tell you Hazrat Umar (RA) banned Muslim soldiers from occupying lands in conquered territories for personal agricultural use, and Hazrat Uthman (RA) continued the ban. So those lands remained in hands of 'previous owners' who were not yet 'Muslims'.
incounternable (Friday, July 25, 2014)

Quote:
Ahh man you know I really hate it when the discussion looses it's course and goes on a path of unnecessary justifications .
I am sorry I really don't know about number of military mobility after 9/11. You seem to be more knowledgeable in that regard.
About the zakat, I assume you got my point.
Quote:
Ok I ask you what were the primary economic activities of arabs during Hazrat Umar (RA)'s times??? And were people becoming rich during that time??? Was it resulting in a rising middle class??? I can tell you Hazrat Umar (RA) banned Muslim soldiers from occupying lands in conquered territories for personal agricultural use, and Hazrat Uthman (RA) continued the ban. So those lands remained in hands of 'previous owners' who were not yet 'Muslims'.
Nah, I don't know again. My source of information is an international muslim scholar Dr. Hussain Hamed Hassan who delivered a speech on Islamic economics. He is one of the most prominent figure in promoting Islamic economics. He claimed that Hazrat Umar's time is the best example of islamic economics success.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Subhan Ahmad For This Useful Post:
mhmmdkashif (Thursday, July 24, 2014), waqas izhar (Thursday, July 24, 2014)

Quote:
I am sorry I really don't know about number of military mobility after 9/11. You seem to be more knowledgeable in that regard.
About the zakat, I assume you got my point.

Nah, I don't know again. My source of information is an international muslim scholar Dr. Hussain Hamed Hassan who delivered a speech on Islamic economics. He is one of the most prominent figure in promoting Islamic economics. He claimed that Hazrat Umar's time is the best example of islamic economics success.
Well I don't know myself brother , but I am sure it can't be compared with massive historical wars and nature of modern warfare is very different than the historic wars.

Well I by no means am knowledgeable, I am just trying to raise points. As far as I can assess Hazrat Uthman ( RA ) was the pioneer of Muslim economy (as he issued coins and allowed drawing loans from bait al maal which Hazrat Umar ( RA ) didn't), but I can't contradict a scholar. And I haven't studied economics at all, so I am highly ignorant of fundamental economic principles and working of economies

Quote:
Well I don't know myself brother , but I am sure it can't be compared with massive historical wars and nature of modern warfare is very different than the historic wars.

Well I by no means am knowledgeable, I am just trying to raise points. As far as I can assess Hazrat Uthman ( RA ) was the pioneer of Muslim economy (as he issued coins and allowed drawing loans from bait al maal which Hazrat Umar ( RA ) didn't), but I can't contradict a scholar. And I haven't studied economics at all, so I am highly ignorant of fundamental economic principles and working of economies
Well still you do know a lot Masha Allah. I have a background in economics and planning to do MS in Health economics in the future. Anyways, I have to go. It was nice talking to you and Gypsified.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Subhan Ahmad For This Useful Post:
mhmmdkashif (Thursday, July 24, 2014), waqas izhar (Thursday, July 24, 2014)
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2014

Gypsified will become famous soon enoughGypsified will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Half of this can be explained by revolution and counter revolution. Others, Islam did faced internal disputes during and after Prophet Muhammad S.A.W's time. And I can't comment on certain things since I don't know the context. But one can not ignore did Islam did proper at their time.
The question is not about internal disputes, revolutions, and counter-revolutions. The question is, were they acting like “true Muslims” (one of the vaguest terms ever)? If they were not, how does this explain the fact that they were still ruling the world? Because according to what we like to believe, if we become “true Muslims” (whatever that means), only then we will be able to lead the world. Please explain this contradiction to me.

Quote:
Again, subjective opinion.
If someone backs up his statements with historical evidence and proper references, does that still mean subjective opinion? Please tell me then, what does objective opinion/fact mean and how to do we come to know it?

Quote:
They are superior because they are implementing the wrong things, in the right way. It is not sustainable. We will surpass when we will implement the right things, the right way.
Now this is what I’d say a subjective opinion is, if it can be called anything at all. Implementing wrong things in right ways? What does that even mean? And not sustainable? They have sustained it for several centuries now, my good man, and there are no signs of it failing in foreseeable future. Further, the emerging economies (India, China etc) are also following the same mechanism. How is it not sustainable? Just because we believe so?

Quote:
He claimed that Hazrat Umar's time is the best example of islamic economics success.
And obviously, we refuse to move forward from the 7th century. This only goes to show how accurate the findings of the Justice Munir Report were. =)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gypsified For This Useful Post:
incounternable (Friday, July 25, 2014), waqas izhar (Thursday, July 24, 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsified View Post
I'm all for evolving workable systems, keeping in consideration the basic guidelines provided by Islam, in today's world. I'm only against the strict adherence to medieval interpretations of Islam which will not work in today's world. I'm also aware of the problems of modern capitalism and will always consent to betters solutions, but the kind of solutions put forward by conservative and rigid thinking will only make the situation worse.
That's totally right, dogma and superstition have no room in modern scientific era so reason must prevail. We can learn a lot deal from our history, moreover there is a grand natural scheme working behind things as well which is why systems arise and fall and recur and this cycle continue to happen. The problem with 'caliphate' is it relies upon men of strength, courage, conscience, wisdom, honest determination and god fearing to remain in power and a single bad turn of events distracts it from it's defined destiny and makes it a lot 'bloody'. Whereas democracy creates lust seeking societies where a core group of elites who enjoy all the luxury and power at the cost of all others struggle eventually destroy the very essence of community living in pursuit of their greedy desires. So there is problem everywhere and there seems to be no lasting solutions, may Allah (swt) help mankind amd have mercy upon us

Quote:
That's totally right, dogma and superstition have no room in modern scientific era so reason must prevail. We can learn a lot deal from our history, moreover there is a grand natural scheme working behind things as well which is why systems arise and fall and recur and this cycle continue to happen. The problem with 'caliphate' is it relies upon men of strength, courage, conscience, wisdom, honest determination and god fearing to remain in power and a single bad turn of events distracts it from it's defined destiny and makes it a lot 'bloody'. Whereas democracy creates lust seeking societies where a core group of elites who enjoy all the luxury and power at the cost of all others struggle eventually destroy the very essence of community living in pursuit of their greedy desires. So there is problem everywhere and there seems to be no lasting solutions, may Allah (swt) help mankind amd have mercy upon us
I agree. Humans beings have proven to be selfish by nature. And so every system will have its own flaws, and expecting any system to be perfect is futile. The best way, however, it seems is not to let power concentrate in few hands and work toward making this possible. The reason I prefer democracy over other systems is that, comparatively, it deals with this problem of the concentration of power. Now of course, it is far from perfect and it is only hit and trial through which we can learn and improve the system bit by bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gypsified For This Useful Post: